Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Apple Intros "Boot Camp" for dual-booting

Apple Intros "Boot Camp" for dual-booting (Page 3)
joeyinflames
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 11:40 AM

I think some of the hard core mac users here are missing a key element of this... MANY people are forced to use some Windows XP program, either for personal or professional reasons. For me, my wife hasn't taken the time to get to know OSX and she refused to let me replace my Windows laptop with a Macbook Pro (I replaced my desktop adn switched 1 year ago). With this, I can switch and convert her to the Mac side....

I'm sure many people have programs that are Windows only and the inability to use these was the one thing preventing a switch. That restriction has been eliminated now.

For me, I'll be placing my order for the Macbook Pro and ditching my Dell now!

I'm surprised to see so many negative opinions, but I REALLY feel this is a HUGE positive step forward for Apple and OS X.

Matthew

joeyinflames
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by starman
And there are some of us, like myself, who love the Mac TO DEATH, but still use Windows for certain reasons, be it gaming, work, or to just run apps that aren't on the Mac.

Sorry, but this is a BIG DEAL for me. It solves a lot of problems and if it works well, I can ditch my Dell and Powerbook and get a Mac Book Pro.
EXACTLY! I know TONS of people in this same situation (myself included).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 11:43 AM

That does it. Time for me to sell my dual 2.5GHz G5, my 12" PBG4 and my PC (AthlonXP 3200+), and replace them all with a single 2.16GHz MBP.

Life is good.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 11:46 AM

Millions of Law, Civil Engineer, and 3D Animation students are rejoicing.

There's a really popular set of testing software for Law students (I think there was a thread about it on here some time ago) that's Windows only and won't run under virtualization like VirtualPC. A lot of students had to buy a PC in addition to their Mac just so they can take test.

Of course, when it comes to engineering, you're garanteed to run into AutoCAD. Even if you're not going to use it afterwords, you'll learn it in college. Again, students who use Macs for everything but then had to buy a PC just for AutoCAD, will love this.

3D Animation students! I can't tell you how many colleges only teach with 3DStudio. Why? I don't know. Maya, Lightwave, and Renderman all run on the Macintosh as well as Windows, but some College insist on 3DStuio. Maybe it's because "gamers" like to use it. I guess.

Anyway, looks good.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by frates
Did you do the firmware update prior to the installation ?

There are updates for firmwares of imacs, powerbooks, and mac minis
I did that, yeah.

Needed to reformat The disk was totally fubard
Luckily I backup my home folder every week...not my apps folder though
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 11:47 AM

I need windows just to test websites out in IE for PC. Also for the odd MSN video chat.

VPC was fine but slow. This sounds better.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
I did that, yeah.

Needed to reformat The disk was totally fubard
Luckily I backup my home folder every week...not my apps folder though
Were you sure to choose the C drive like it says in the instructions?

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I wonder what Apple would do if MS released an app that let you dual boot to OS X on a PC?
Why would they do it? Microsoft wont lose any money with this, they can even make more as the can potentially sell Windows to 100% of computers against the 97% they could reach before... That effort would have to come from Dell, HP... and I really don't think they would.

Now, let's all prey Adobe keeps on developping OS X Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects...

I think I'm going to wait 10.5 to get a Macbook now, not a fan of beta software since I installed OS X 10.0.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
Millions of Law, Civil Engineer, and 3D Animation students are rejoicing.
Oh yeah! My girlfriend is about to start lawschool and is buying a laptop. She can get a Mac now...

forkies
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 11:52 AM

holy frick, i need an intel ibook NOW!

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by greenamp
I wonder what Apple would do if MS released an app that let you dual boot to OS X on a PC?
...sue them. It's against the OS X EULA to install it on non-Apple hardware. MS makes their money off of the software, so they don't care whether you're running it on a Dell or an iMac.

"I start fires!"

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 12:04 PM

who'd want to buy Mac versions of software when they can easily get their PC counter-parts? Probably the only exception are people who are after Apple-made software (Aperture, etc.)

Who wants games? Hands down, the PC side wins.... it has both quality and quantity. Whereas the Mac side tries to get/port as many quality games that -were- popular on the PC at some point.

I'm really thinking this patch was a bad idea.... but then again, i'm usually wrong...

maybe this is just Apple's tactic to get regular PC users to see that they can get their cake, candy, and soda, consume them all, and not gain a pound. (buy Mac hardware and still be able to do what they need/want to do as if they had bought a Dell or HP)....(bad analogy, i know)

btw, i LOVE this section on the Boot Camp section on the page....

Boot Camp also helps you remove the Windows partition, should you so desire.
ROFLMAO!!!

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 12:08 PM

It ran World of Warcraft. 17-51 fps in Ironforge.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 12:10 PM

Blue-screen, reboot when double-clicking on my camera's icon.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 12:13 PM

I feel sorry for all the people who donated money to the effort of booting Windows on a Mac.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 12:14 PM

It ran World of Warcraft. 17-51 fps in Ironforge.

Max settings?

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Apr 5, 2006, 12:18 PM

Quad PowerIntel Mac, 16 gigs of ram, two 500 gig hard drives, one for osx and one for windows, and runs both at the same time or osx shells out to windows. Best of both worlds. No more need to buy two computer systems, all you need is now just one.

Those people in the family that like OSX can run their system, those who like windows can run theirs, still only buy one computer. I like the idea and think it's a nice little move. Look out Dell, here comes Apple!
- Eric

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Liquidity X
Max settings?
No, I have it installed at work so I can check the AH at lunch time and then log out. It's all default settings.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 12:22 PM

Ah, I remember when everyone told me how crazy I was for saying that Apple would support Windows XP booting.

: Does the I-told-you-so dance :
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 5, 2006, 12:26 PM

Wow. Colour me shocked.

Originally Posted by MallyMal
Kinda wild how that guy won like $13K to get Windows running on a Mac and then, less than a month later, Apple drops Boot Camp
I was thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Pretty nifty but I wish it ram more like VPC so you can run Windows in a window.
I was thinking the same thing.

P.S. Now I can reinstall that PC version of UT2004 again. Well, at least when that Conroe iMac dual-core is out...

P.P.S. Did I say wow?

Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 12:27 PM

The main thought that comes out this announcement for me is that enterprise customers can now try OSX without risk, knowing that if the system doesn't meet expectations they have a get out clause by simply going back to Windows.

For me this shows that Steve Jobs is no longer just a great marketing mind, he's become a great business mind and fortune favours the brave.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 365
The main thought that comes out this announcement for me is that enterprise customers can now try OSX without risk, knowing that if the system doesn't meet expectations they have a get out clause by simply going back to Windows.
Um I don't think that OSX scares them as much as the cost of the Apple hardware. I highly doubt that they will buy a Mac just to run Windows on it.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 12:37 PM

I used to work for a school district that had a contract with Dell. We were primarily Mac based, but we had to buy PC's sometimes for the odd ball department that demanded them, and for that we had a contract with Dell. Dell allowed us to buy all the Macs we wanted, but for PC's we had to buy through Dell.

I predict within the next few days they'll be buying their last Dell ever. Big win for Apple.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 365
Another reason that's not gonna happen, for now, is that this is unsupported, at least until Leopard. No enterprise people are gonna say, "we'll try out this Mac OS X thing, and if it doesn't work, we can always run Windows using low-level hardware drivers with support from neither Microsoft nor the hardware makers."

If Apple wants inroads into the enterprise market, this ain't it. They'd do it by pitching OS X Server, XServes, interoperability, and the actually reasonable cost of iMacs/minis as workstations.
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Apr 5, 2006 at 12:51 PM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 5, 2006, 12:38 PM

Heh. There is just something wrong seeing the ancient Windows text setup screens in a Mac installation guide.

Oh and by the way, this is supposedly a timed beta. When does the beta expire?

Um I don't think that OSX scares them as much as the cost of the Apple hardware. I highly doubt that they will buy a Mac just to run Windows on it.
No, he's right. OS X scares them that much. Not everyone, but still a lot.

And they have good reason to be scared too. I mean does MS Exchange even work fully on Macs yet? Yeah, the problems with MS Exchange were not Apple's fault, but regardless of who's fault it was, it was still a problem.

P.S. There are a couple of friends looking to buy Intel Macs, but they were a little concerned about completely giving up on Windows. This is just what they needed to take the Mac plunge.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 12:41 PM

Timed beta sometimes means that it'll time out, but a new "timed beta" will be out before then. I wouldn't worry about not being able to get back into Windows.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 12:43 PM

I think it is sorta sad that for Apple's 30th birthday they announce Windows can boot on a Mac

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by ©öñFü$íóÑ
who'd want to buy Mac versions of software when they can easily get their PC counter-parts? Probably the only exception are people who are after Apple-made software (Aperture, etc.)
Are you suggesting there are huge numbers of people who would have preferred to use Windows and Windows software but couldn't because they accidentally purchased a Mac?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
And they have good reason to be scared too. I mean does MS Exchange even work fully on Macs yet?
Yes, but only with Entourage. We've even had limited success with Mail and Calender, but those seem to only sometimes work. The shared folder with IMAP/Exchange seems to kind of work. Some folders you can open, others you can't. It's really weird. But you can send/receive mail just fine.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

colorblue
Apr 5, 2006, 12:58 PM

Hello,

My name is Daniel Terdiman. I'm a reporter with CNET News.com.

I'm writing at 9:55 am pacific time Wednesday April 5. I'm posting here because I'm looking for people to talk to for a story I'm doing on the Mac user community's response to Boot Camp.

If you see this message and have thoughts about this--you love it or you hate it, you think it'll help Apple or that it'll bomb, whatever--and that you'd like to share, I'd be very interested in hearing from you ASAP at the email address below. However, I need to use your real name for my story, so please only contact me if you are willing to have your real name used.

As I mentioned, I need to talk to folks ASAP as I'm doing this story on a pretty tight deadline this morning.

Thanks so much. I look forward to talking to you.

Daniel Terdiman
Staff Writer
CNET News.com
[email protected]

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I mean does MS Exchange even work fully on Macs yet?

I'm using it fine at work on my mac using Entourage.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:01 PM

Sorry if someone else has already mentioned this, but...it's 1993 all over again!

Anyone else remember this little beauty? It ran System 7 and had an Intel processor card for running DOS/Windows as well.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I'm going to buy a tower once:
- CS3 (UB) is released
- Quark 7 (UB) is released
- Microsoft Office (UB) is released

I may try Windows XP on the tower, but I'm guessing most Mac users will not.
Same here. Well, not so much for Quark or Office, but definitely when CS3 hits the street. I'll probably get a cheap external and put Windows on it for the rare event that I absolutely need something in Windows (or the rare über game I just have to try).

As people have mentioned, this isn't much different than an Apple VPC. The same steps of purchasing software and setting it up are there. Mac users aren't going to see this as an incentive to actually run Windows full-time. Since when have we been Mac users because we wanted to use Windows? We're in it for the operating system and the hardware, no? This will be a great sales tool at the Apple Stores for easing people into a transition, or at least give them the security (heh, security) that they can still use their important software that isn't on the Mac. More sales, more exposure, more switchers.

I don't think this is the Apple end-of-days like everyone called with the Intel switch. (See: Better performing machines and the same OS—good golly, Apple's dooooomed!)

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 01:04 PM

I'm getting a MacBook Pro in 2.5 months. This just sweetened the deal.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:08 PM

This is a smart move for Apple, alot of people say this is the begining of the end...blah blah blah, but what you fail to relize Apples goal is to also make money. So why not enable people the ability to use both platforms on Apple hardware...get it? Apple hardware. They will be buying Apple laptops and Desktops. As long as this will spur on an Apple buying frenzy, which it will, all the better for a better Apple. Also I beleive that once windows users use Mac I can guarantee they will use OS X moreso than XP. Ahh a brilliant marketing/switch idea.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

clbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2006, 01:11 PM

Because they can't assume all Mac users shelled out the $ to buy Windows.

"Why develop for two platforms when you can just develop for Windows and now most everyone can run it? Bad for future Mac OS development."

Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
The freakin' Sky is falling!

Now we wait for Dvorak's "I told you so". He's going to reiterate his "Apple switching to Windows" story.

I would be more excited, but I don't use windows very often. I much prefer OS X. I hope that consumers realize the same. It's kind of nifty though. What would have been REALLY cool is if Apple came out with a loader for sticking OS X on any old x86... but that's the dreamer.
Dvorak is actually a pretty smart guy. Anyways, it seems he's just speculating, and wouldn't be surprised if it happened. But, now he has two more things to support his argument, Bootcamp, and Avi Tevanian leaving Apple. Driving in the car, I even considered a Microsoft take over. Could Steve Jobs take over Microsoft the same way he took over Apple when NeXT was bought out? (Kinda different though, since Jobs founded Apple).

Wild speculation!!! Scandalous!!!

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Are you suggesting there are huge numbers of people who would have preferred to use Windows and Windows software but couldn't because they accidentally purchased a Mac?
Maybe...I don't know... But maybe i kind of meant it in a software developer's point of view, 'why would anyone want to develop for the OS X platform now that Mac users can easily run Windows programs?'

Most schools and universities teach programming languages like C++ on Windows and MS Visual Studio. I guess that means that those new -individual- programmers would be more comfortable, programming on the PC platform, -for- the PC platform... (why would they want to leave their comfort zone for the relatively few Mac users out there?)

Yes, i do realize that there are still G3-G5 PPC users around who'd cause a riot (or not) if -BIG- developers like Adobe or Wolfram Research stoped making Mac ports of their popular programs. Or even a competitor like the long-dreaded M.S....i mean, with knowledge that Apple boots Windows, they can just as easily stop making Mac ports of their Office suite, 2-3 years down the line.

Why? Well, in the end, this will save the big developers MILLIONS of dollars from having to hire additional Mac-savvy programmers, beta testers, ... additional production costs in general. I don't care what language he/she/it speaks. The simplicity of developing for just one platform is good news for ANY software developer.

I don't mean to sound anti-mac..... but all i know is this: PowerPC users, your time is limited. (you'll eventually be where us Mac OS Classic users are... unsupported.... and with limited software choices)

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:14 PM

I think it is sorta sad that for Apple's 30th birthday they announce Windows can boot on a Mac
Put aside the fanboyism and emotions for a second, and you'll see that this is a win for everyone. OS X will be Apple's selling point for their hardware, similar to the "halo effect" produced by the iPods (which actually worked). And remember, this is beta -- it's going to be officially a feature of Leopard, which will be even more superior to XP (and probably even Vista) by the time it comes out.

The only group losing on this one is Dell, HP, Gateway, etc. This should bring in some healthy innovative competition to the PC market.

And for the argument that developers won't have to support Mac anymore, here's how it's gonna play out:

The Hunt family, like many others, is intrigued by Apple hardware, having never used a Mac before. Apple's been in the hype over the last few years, and their 3-year cycle of buying a new computer is coming to its last days, so they decide to head to the Apple Store to see if a Mac will work for them. Then they find out they can always buy a copy of Windows JUST IN CASE OS X doesn't work for them, so now their Mac hardware won't be useless if they don't like it. But, and this is key, they end up liking OS X more than Windows, and you suddenly have a very large number of people buying Apple hardware. The Hunt family never has a reason to buy a copy of Windows, and consequentially all their computing is done in OS X now.

The overwhelming majority of Intel Mac users won't buy a copy of Windows unless they absolutely hate the OS X experience, which Apple is counting on won't happen. Thus, the OS X audience will become larger, and, if anything, developers will push to support OS X more than ever.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Put aside the fanboyism and emotions for a second, and you'll see that this is a win for everyone.
Oh gimmie a break, I love this idea I am just saying the exact timing is sad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 01:17 PM

I know Michael Hunt. Funny guy

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by clbell
Because they can't assume all Mac users shelled out the $ to buy Windows.

"Why develop for two platforms when you can just develop for Windows and now most everyone can run it? Bad for future Mac OS development."

Nah XP on Mac is just a tool to get by with, when your done with the boring XP stuff the Mac user will boot back to OS X to get their real work done.....lol what a slap in the face for MS. OS X will get stronger and better.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:30 PM

Oh gimmie a break, I love this idea I am just saying the exact timing is sad.
Oops sorry. I'm all wired up on caffeine right now...

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:31 PM

I know Michael Hunt. Funny guy
That's actually who I was thinking of when I wrote that, too

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 01:31 PM

Aw, no Apple remotes, iSight or keyboard backlight when in XP.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2006, 01:35 PM

Aw, no Apple remotes, iSight or keyboard backlight when in XP.
yet...

It runs very well. Hell it ran WoW well! How much more do you want?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 01:36 PM

yet...

It runs very well. Hell it ran WoW well! How much more do you want?
having it boot in a separate window. That's about it.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
This is a smart move for Apple, alot of people say this is the begining of the end...blah blah blah, but what you fail to relize Apples goal is to also make money. So why not enable people the ability to use both platforms on Apple hardware...get it? Apple hardware. They will be buying Apple laptops and Desktops. As long as this will spur on an Apple buying frenzy, which it will, all the better for a better Apple. Also I beleive that once windows users use Mac I can guarantee they will use OS X moreso than XP. Ahh a brilliant marketing/switch idea.
Bingo... would the iPod be the success it is today if it was still only worked on Macs?

meelk
Baninated
Apr 5, 2006, 01:43 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2006, 01:46 PM

For website design and browser-testing, this is an awesome move. Design and graphics are much better on the Macintosh, and in my humble opinion -- coding tools on PC are much better. No longer will I need to purchase two computers per computer life-cycle.

Forum Links
Forum Rules