Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > X men 3

X men 3 (Page 3)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Magneto almost killed him when he ripped the adamantium out of Wolverine's body.
Ya you'd think that would do it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Salty
Professional Poster
May 31, 2006, 01:00 AM

Did that just get rid of his skeleton too or was Magneto careful to leave the bones in or? That doesn't make sense to me.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2006, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Did that just get rid of his skeleton too or was Magneto careful to leave the bones in or? That doesn't make sense to me.
I thought his whole skeleton was metal.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I thought his whole skeleton was metal.
ditto....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2006, 01:31 AM

His skeleton isn't all metal. It's plated with metal. Apparently Magneto ripped the metal off the bone.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2006, 02:27 AM

To add on to what Chuckit said, this left Wolverine with a bone skelton and claws made of bone.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 31, 2006, 06:21 AM

That's correct. Adamantium has nothing to do with his mutant powers; his bones were just coated with it.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
That's correct. Adamantium has nothing to do with his mutant powers; his bones were just coated with it.
You know, I thought bone-clawed Wolverine was okay but really hated it once he went feral and lost his nose . God, I hated that phrase...but I digress because I don't want to get totally focused on the comic.

ghporter
Administrator
May 31, 2006, 07:33 AM

A lot of people are getting confused about this because they don't have a background in the comics. In the movie, Logan's whole skeleton was REPLACED with adamantium (remember the whole bit in the second movie with the fight at the Alcali Lake facility?). From a physiology standpoint the comic is more believable-our bones are active organs. But it was much more exciting in the movie for viewers to believe that his entire skeleton had been replaced.

And the only reason they were able to do anything to his skeleton at all WAS Logan's mutant powers. If he didn't heal almost instantaneously, he would have died before they finished doing anything to any of his bones.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2006, 11:53 PM

Just got back, and I was pretty disappointed.

1) The Rogue story line didn't really work (it might have been better if she hadn't gone through with it or something to the like... although I guess her powers will come back in 4 anyway)
2) The Angle storyline was useless - might have been cooler if a bad reaction turned him into arch angel or something
3) I didn't enjoy seeing people disintegrated
4) The Phoenix killing Cyclops made no sense... they were making out and all, why would she decide to just nuke him? I guess her sexual passion for Wolverine was more forgiving than her heart love for Cyclops...
5) I didn't stay for the clip at the end, but I would have rather had something with Phoenix and Jean Grey being split. You know, somehow channel the Phoenix into another body and save Jean that way.
6) Mystique losing her powers sucked. She was definitely one of the cooler bad guys.
7) The Phoenix wasn't active enough. She should have actually done something during the battle instead of just standing there. I would have also liked her to have intervened when Magneto was about to toss him across the jungle.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2006, 05:45 PM

i laughed aloud several times during the movie. they made a mockery of comic books, and managed to accomplish everything singer avoided which made the first 2 great movies. the dialogue was HORRIBLE. the acting was subpar. the camerawork, angles, etc were all lacking as well. i just about walked out of it. and thats not even mentioning the crap in the story that didnt make sense or deviated from the comic. thumbs down.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2006, 08:14 PM

I saw it again this weekend and liked it much more. The pacing seemed better and I caught a lot of character "beats" that I had missed the first time around. Xavier didn't seem like such a dick, although I think overall Singer got better performances out of everyone (with the possible exception of hapless Halle Berry). I still think the fight choreography was appallingly bad (could anyone really tell what was happening between Storm and Callisto?), some of the cinematography was terrible (Cyclops' scene at Alkali Lake looked like it was shot with a camera phone), and the score was like something you'd get in a Sci-Fi Channel Bug of the Week movie. And there were a lot of clunkers in the script, although it has to be said that nothing could ever compare with that ghastly, lame, embarrassing line of Storm's in the first movie, about what happens to toads when they're struck by lightning. As unpolished as the script for "Last Stand" seems, there's not a single line THAT cringeworthy.

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
1) The Rogue story line didn't really work (it might have been better if she hadn't gone through with it or something to the like... although I guess her powers will come back in 4 anyway)
Rogue's part was a big disappointment for me as well, particularly as the first movie was very much the story of her and Wolverine joining the X-Men and I thought Anna Paquin's performance was exactly right. I still think the best dramatic scene in the whole series is between Rogue and Magneto, where she asks if he's going to kill her and he explains why it's necessary for her to die for the cause.

In a better script, Rogue would have done the heavy lifting in the moral argument about whether or not to take the "cure." That should have been the heart of the movie, and I think it got short shrift.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2006, 08:14 PM

In the comics, Magneto ripped the adamantium plating from Wolverine's bones.
So then, he was left with just bone claws for a while. He became feral.
Genesis ((Tyler, Cable's son) tried to restore (while trying to turn Wolvie into a horsemen) the adamantium to Wolverine's body, but it rejected the "transplant".
He became he ore of an animal.
Sometime down the line, he got it restored.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2006, 08:55 PM

You realize that explanation won't make any sense to somebody who wasn't already following the comic books?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
I don't follow. Of course Rogue had to go through with it! More than any mutant we're shown in the movies, she has a legitimate reason to get rid of her powers. Rejecting the "cure" wouldn't have been true to the character.

2) The Angle storyline was useless - might have been cooler if a bad reaction turned him into arch angel or something
It'd be cooler if the whole Archangel thing had never happened. Damn the early '90s for trying to make every character "kewl"! Anyway, he was only a secondary character. That being said, his introduction (cutting his wings off as a kid) was really effective IMO.

3) I didn't enjoy seeing people disintegrated
I thought that part was cool.

5) I didn't stay for the clip at the end, but I would have rather had something with Phoenix and Jean Grey being split. You know, somehow channel the Phoenix into another body and save Jean that way.
I don't know if you're a reader or not, but this debate came up way back when the Dark Phoenix Saga was being written. I'm inclined to go with Jim Shooter, who made them change the ending from Phoenix being imprisoned to her death. Like in the original story, the Phoenix was a part of Jean. She killed Cyclops, Xavier, and a slew of other people—any attempts at redemption would've been hollow. Death was the only acceptable outcome.

6) Mystique losing her powers sucked. She was definitely one of the cooler bad guys.
Agreed.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
It'd be cooler if the whole Archangel thing had never happened. Damn the early '90s for trying to make every character "kewl"! Anyway, he was only a secondary character. That being said, his introduction (cutting his wings off as a kid) was really effective IMO.
that was a cool moment, but it could have come off a lot better. remember that feeling when a young magneto screams and the gates at the concentration camp bend in X1 or X2 (its escaping me right now)? im not saying it needed to be dark like that, i just think the shot really lacked, and really took away from the emotion and power that should have been there.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2006, 11:56 PM

Lets all just agree that the movies have nothing to do with the comics... it makes life a lot easier to understand. (Bret Ratner sucks)

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Bret Ratner sucks
I have a much better opinion of him after seeing this movie.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2006, 02:55 AM

Looks like the x-men got beat up by Jennifer Aniston this weekend. The Last Stand earned just over 34 million this weekend and place second to "The Breakup". That's a 67% drop from last week!!

'Break-Up' Tops 'X-Men' at Box Office

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
You realize that explanation won't make any sense to somebody who wasn't already following the comic books?
My apologies.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 12:51 PM

Easy ways that could have made Rogue and Angel fit better into the story
1) Have the x-men not know where the cure is. Then angel could tell them (since he knows where his father has the stuff).
2) Have Rogue run into Angle right after he "flys the coup" and have some dialog about going through with taking the "cure"

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 12:55 PM

Ya the Angel story was 100% pointless to me at the verge of being comical.

I mean he wants to be cured, even tries to cut off his own wings. Then they offer him a solution and for some reason changes his mind and decides to do a stage-dive out of a building and we don't see him again until he is at the right place at the right time to swoop out of nowhere to catch his daddy who fell out a low building.

Now that is story telling.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

hart
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 02:46 PM

I was thinking none of those women have a thimble-full of charisma or sex-appeal. Famke Jansen is skinny and dull, Hally Barry seems like some boring gym teacher and even Mystique who is essentially naked is just bleh! That whole seduction scene with Wolverine? BLEH! The only person with a nice butt is Wolverine, even if his pants DON'T disintegrate. How'd they manage to get three supposedly beautiful women and drain every bit of sex out of them?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by hart
I was thinking none of those women have a thimble-full of charisma or sex-appeal. Famke Jansen is skinny and dull, Hally Barry seems like some boring gym teacher and even Mystique who is essentially naked is just bleh! That whole seduction scene with Wolverine? BLEH! The only person with a nice butt is Wolverine, even if his pants DON'T disintegrate. How'd they manage to get three supposedly beautiful women and drain every bit of sex out of them?

Ya, the sad part was even against all those Xmen in tight leather suites Professor X was the most sexually attractive

hart
Senior User
Jun 5, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
Ya, the sad part was even against all those Xmen in tight leather suites Professor X was the most sexually attractive
yup. I have to agree. Old, bald guy all the way.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2006, 04:20 PM

I mean he wants to be cured, even tries to cut off his own wings. Then they offer him a solution and for some reason changes his mind and decides to do a stage-dive out of a building and we don't see him again until he is at the right place at the right time to swoop out of nowhere to catch his daddy who fell out a low building.
That is NOT true. He also shows up at exactly the right moment to convince Storm to keep the school open (by uttering the single line "I was told this place was safe for mutants").

I had no problem with him deciding not to take the "cure." A kid is a lot more desperate to fit in (and to please Daddy) than an adult, and it was established that by the time of the movie, mutants were more accepted by society. One might better ask, oh, how did his mutation allow him to burst through a glass window without harm, or get him from Westchester to San Francisco only moments behind the supersonic X-Jet. (Which would have been so stupidly easy to explain, really; we saw him eavesdropping on the conversation about going, and a five-second shot of him stowing away on the jet would have done it.)

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin
I had no problem with him deciding not to take the "cure."
Neither did I, my problem is they gave no indication as to why.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin
That is NOT true. He also shows up at exactly the right moment to convince Storm to keep the school open (by uttering the single line "I was told this place was safe for mutants").
You saved me from having to post that.

Halle Berry is hot (a.k.a "I'd hit it").

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2006, 04:39 PM

Neither did I, my problem is they gave no indication as to why.
He was scared? I don't think they needed to give us a concrete reason. He had obviously stopped cutting off his wings, so it makes sense that he'd have second thoughts when the moment of truth came.

Forum Links
Forum Rules