Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gears of War 'nn

Gears of War 'nn
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:28 PM

Since I finished Gears of War single player I've started playing online a lot. It's great online, but once in a while you join a game hosted by some very childish people. They type that boot you when you're doing well, or take advantages of certain bugs in certain maps.

It ends up making the game not that fun.

If I'm on my xbox I'm always up for a game, and I figured since, pretty much, everyone on these boards acts like an adult, maybe we can post some gamertags for people who are interested in playing.

Mine is emdeesee (mdc was taken)

(I also play NHL 07 online)

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 03:07 PM

I'm interested.

My gametag is simply Adam Betts

I own and play those games online:
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Gears of War
Lost Planet

Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 07:24 PM

Sounds like fun but I haven't played much online lately. I also have some other games I'd love to play online more often.

Rainbow Six: Vegas
Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighters
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Battlefield 2... Always wanted to get a clan together. Clan MacNN!

How is Lost Planet Adam? It was between that and Battlestations Midway and I picked up Battlestations Midway this week. Fairly high learning curve but so far it's fun. I expect to have it handed to me in multiplayer though.

Gametag: FootySr

Rumor
Feb 2, 2007, 07:45 PM

I don't have a 360, but I do have an xBox. Two of the games I play are inter-compatible.

Battlefront 2
Battlefield 2

Gamertag: IP Freeley
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2007, 11:09 PM

can i play with a regular xbox?

no gamertag as i dont have "live" right yet. good idea tho.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2007, 11:01 PM

The reviews on Lost Planet are pretty mixed but personally I really enjoyed the game in both single-player and multi-players mode. Single-player reminds me of Contra but in snow world because of its simplicity in gameplay and giant bosses. Multiplayer never gets old for me, I always kept coming back.

There's a demo of LP in Live marketplace I think. You could download it and see if you like it.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2007, 01:05 AM

Gamertag is Freytastic. I have 9 or 10 games. . . gears of war, nhl 07, madden 07, tiger woods 07, GoW (admittedly i'm horrible at it), and I just bought battlestations midway today. . . haven't had the chance to open it yet though. Add me to your list!
( Last edited by cSurfr; Feb 11, 2007 at 06:02 PM. )
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 03:22 AM

Buttercup X

Let's schedule a time and have an official MacNN game.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 10:51 PM

I play GoW also pretty much every day but yea .. for the reason you mention I don't like it that much anymore .. I always like to play friendly games

My gamertag : Gomjaba

Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 02:13 AM

Nice list going here... I'll have to add you guys to my buddy list tomorrow.

ParabolStellavento
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 12:59 AM

I play GoW and madden mostly when i go on my 360 xD

Gamertag:CrimsonDecayX

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2007, 03:50 PM

I'm still working through single player - haven't had a whole lot of time to devote to it. But as you can see by my sig, I'm quite enjoying it. I've played some multiplayer and it's pretty fun too, but I gotta say the "childish" people can also be some of the filthiest people. Very weird to hear the expletives fly from someone who cant be more than 12 years old.

BTW, my gamer tag is thejokell if anyone wants to play.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Since I finished Gears of War single player I've started playing online a lot. . .(snip)

Mine is emdeesee (mdc was taken)

(I also play NHL 07 online)

I added you today. . . We'll have to play some NHL soon!

-cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2007, 11:41 AM

I think I got your friend request this weekend. Definitely up for some NHL. If you're ever at the same time as me invite me to a game

as2
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2007, 05:32 PM

Finally bought an XBox 360 yesterday!

Only have Gears Of War at the moment, and just started the single player campaign, but my gamer tag is Angry Nugget if anyone want's a game sometime.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 10:12 PM

I haven't picked up GoW yet but plan to as soon as I get done with Rainbow Six: Vegas which is a hoot to play online. After GoW I'll be getting NHL and NBA2K7.
Gamertag: UltimateObject

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 06:19 AM

I usually play GoW multiplayer on a Friday/Saturday night my gamer tag is leowyatt. It's a really great game, currently going through single player on Insane. Nearing the end of act 4.

If you see me online I'll be up for a game and if I'm hosting and we need players I'll send out invites.

leblancchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2007, 10:00 AM

im on...pretty brutal at gears but i enjoy playing it online.
i play nhl 07 as well..

leblancchris is my gamer tag

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2007, 02:11 AM

my tag is StableAxe but i only play on tuesday or wednesday nights australian time (east coast)

friend invites are still welcome tho.
gears rocks online, i'm a huge fan of annex!
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2007, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Since I finished Gears of War single player I've started playing online a lot...
you're missing out if move away from the single player campaign after only finishing once or twice IMO. its short length makes it a great game to play through 4 or 5 times (i'm up to six, final act on hardcore), you can really master it once you start memorizing it.
i don't usually play games this way, but for me gears felt like playing an old action game on 8 bit consoles somehow, where you'd learn every enemy and corner until you can rip through the game with ease (except for raam on hardcore and insane, that is ), which is highly satisfying!!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2007, 10:23 AM

The four new maps all kick ass. I'm still loving this game.

Rumor
May 4, 2007, 01:07 PM

I haven't logged more than two or three hours via Live this year. Though I still have a plain xBox. If I can upgrade to a 360, that will change.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 4, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The four new maps all kick ass. I'm still loving this game.
Charging for maps that the developer wanted to release for free (and which *used* to be released for free until MS got into the games biz) is a pretty crappy move, IMO, and I'll be waiting until September.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2007, 05:18 PM

I agree that it sucks, but I play the game enough that the $10 was very worth it to me. I'm going to get my moneys worth out of them in the next few months.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2007, 08:22 PM

i hate the fact that epic had to charge for these maps against their will, but i still want to play them, so i won't be waiting til september either
this game has so much replayability.. i literally haven't been so content with playing a game over and over like this since i was a kid, it rocks!

Razgriz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 05:12 PM

Gears of War sucks big n*tts RFM is so much better. It offers better graphics better gameplay and above all you don't have to crouch to jump over something. I also hatee how dumb the AI is in GOW your allies get in real close to the enemies and then dont chainsaw them or use a shotgun. Above all I think that the plot of GOW is terrible the way my friend described it he said "these things come out of the ground so you have to kill them". That is the dumbest thing ive ever heard over. Over all I think that GOW is a terrible game.

matty-uk
Forum Regular
May 9, 2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
Gears of War sucks big n*tts RFM is so much better. It offers better graphics better gameplay and above all you don't have to crouch to jump over something. I also hatee how dumb the AI is in GOW your allies get in real close to the enemies and then dont chainsaw them or use a shotgun. Above all I think that the plot of GOW is terrible the way my friend described it he said "these things come out of the ground so you have to kill them". That is the dumbest thing ive ever heard over. Over all I think that GOW is a terrible game.
Have you actually played it? Oh and regarding the plot, it's called back story!!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2007, 06:11 PM

GOW is terrible the way my friend described it he said "these things come out of the ground so you have to kill them". That is the dumbest thing ive ever heard over.
"bowser kidnapped princess so you have to rescue her"

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

I agree that GoW's AI isn't the best but bad game it isn't. It stands out with its well designed cover system. Not necessarily perfect but it's a giant step in the right direction compared to all other "run to mid-field and shoot everyone rambo-style" shooter games.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2007, 06:39 PM

Over all I think that GOW is a terrible game.
clearly your opinion of this game is based on a retarted sense of taste and (most likely) a strong bias toward PS3...
resistance is a good game but show me one review from an actual game site that says resistance has 'better graphics and gameplay' than GOW, and you're a better googler than i am. cover system anyone?

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts View Post
I agree that GoW's AI isn't the best but bad game it isn't. It stands out with its well designed cover system. Not necessarily perfect but it's a giant step in the right direction compared to all other "run to mid-field and shoot everyone rambo-style" shooter games.
Halo! Ugh.

I actually enjoyed GoW single player. The cover system is great, I'm not very fond of the "rambo style" mentioned above anymore. I thought the story was alright, certainly better than some of the other FPS games I've played. I also liked the active reload system and the Krill.

I have major issues with the multi-player aspects of GoW and after playing it for two months at launch I haven't played it but once since and that was for the underwhelming Annex update.
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules