Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BootCD for Tiger - testers wanted

BootCD for Tiger - testers wanted
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2005, 03:57 PM

edit: I posted this quite a ways down the thread, but apparently some people have not seen it. Therefore, I am going to post it here, at the top:

BootCD is on hold right now. I cannot send you a build for Tiger, because there is nothing to test. What I had stopped working somewhere around 10.4.5, and I lack the patience to get this running again. Please do not send me any more requests for beta builds, because they will be ignored.

The original post that was here is below:

Well, I think I've finally got a bootable CD booting under Tiger. The thing is, I don't know how many machines it works on or whether certain features that people use work or not. This means I'm going to need your help to beta test before I'll be able to release this. So if you'd like to see a new version of BootCD that works with Tiger, or if you just want to be able to play with this before anyone else gets to* then send me an e-mail! The part of the address that goes before the at sign is support, and the part that goes on the right is charlessoft.com.

Thanks!

Charles

*Of course, you still have to send me e-mails letting me know if things worked.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Jul 22, 2006 at 10:39 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 10:23 PM

I will send you an email.
Sam

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2005, 04:57 PM

Bump! I still need beta testers. Perhaps a stupid image will cause this thread to get more attention:

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Jasonbot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2005, 03:57 AM

Hi,

Firstly I need to know how this will work, what it will do and what you need from me.

delete
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2005, 12:21 AM

I sent an email. Still waiting for a repsonse!

ScienceMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 07:46 PM

Also have not yet received a reply.

digital_dreamer
Sep 14, 2005, 08:47 PM

Testing....1....2.....3

Count me in this beta testing group. Sent a email.

Just used the software for the first time the previous day to boot up a G5 with Diskwarrior. A real valuable tool.

regards,
MAJ

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2005, 09:22 PM

Sorry, I'm way behind on my e-mails due to having moved and the fact that it's been taking forever to get my Internet hooked up. Hang in there, I'll get to you pretty soon.

Sorry about this,
Charles

P.S. I think I sent a response to delete some time ago... I'm not that far behind yet...

DigitalEarth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2005, 04:21 PM

Hi Charles,
I sent you an email as well. Thanks.

lisabetta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 10:08 AM

Hey Charles!

I've emailed you to beta-test as well!

Thanks!

ormester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 06:57 AM

Count me in please

ccfman2004
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 11:56 PM

I want to beta test too

ccfman2004
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 11:58 PM

I would to beta test. Can you send me the app?

peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2005, 09:53 AM

I'm ready too. Have sent mail.

Great app, BTW!

Peter

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2005, 11:34 AM

Guys, please do not send me PMs related to this. Please send e-mails to me at the e-mail address I provided above. Thanks!

nigelC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Well, I think I've finally got a bootable CD booting under Tiger. The thing is, I don't know how many machines it works on or whether certain features that people use work or not. This means I'm going to need your help to beta test before I'll be able to release this. So if you'd like to see a new version of BootCD that works with Tiger, or if you just want to be able to play with this before anyone else gets to* then send me an e-mail! The part of the address that goes before the at sign is support, and the part that goes on the right is charlessoft.com.

Thanks!

Charles

[email protected]

Paulog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 07:54 AM

Can you add me to your list too. The latest G5s for practical purposes need Tiger to boot.

Yago
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2005, 10:31 AM

I have a PowerMAc G4 and I would like to test your software.
My mail is [email protected]
Thank you

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2005, 12:20 PM

What's with all the people registering just to reply to this thread??

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2005, 05:42 PM

I have no idea. I think it's the Uncle Sam image. Holy crap, that thing really works. I can see why the Army decided to adopt it in the first place.

BTW, I am seriously behind in answering BootCD-related e-mails right now, just wanted to apologize for that. I'll get caught up eventually - right now I'm thinking I might wait until the next build is ready to send before I send it.

lestoques
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2005, 10:58 AM

je veux bien tester la version beta pour tiger de boot cd ( I want to be a tester for boot cd for tiger) I have a imac g5.

maestro2020
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2005, 03:28 PM

Please add me to your list of bets testers.
Email me at [email protected]

-Tim

apigot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 10:49 AM

Je veux bien tester la version beta pour tiger de boot cd ( I want to be a tester for boot cd for tiger) I have a imac g5 with isight.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 03:44 PM

Charles,

Thanks for writing great/useful software. I know that it is a freeware app, and thus low priority, but is there any chance you could post an open beta soon? It seems like you've had a working version for 3 months now, and I have some harddrive problems I'd love to fix

Thanks again for your efforts!

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

noominal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 02:00 AM

Any thought to making a BootDVD? BootCD saved my butt in Panther, and I'm eager to have a Tiger rescue disk of my own. At work, my moronic I/T guy ran Norton on it and ground it to shreds!!! I'm better off using my own salve and booting from Apple's Tiger DVD limits the heck out of your options to fix stuff on your HD.

I'll volunteer to beta BootCD for Tiger: <noominal at mac dot com>

TowerG5-10.4.2/iMac G5-10.4.3/UglyPCsittingaloneintheCorner
[FONT="Arial Black"]...Nooøøoom...[/FONT]

crooner
Senior User
Dec 6, 2005, 04:40 AM

*bumparino*

Charles, I will be sending you an e-mail to beta test. Really need the function of BootCD. I also echo noominal's excellent idea for a BootDVD version! I actually have use for both and would happily test AND pay a shareware fee. If you wish to get in touch with me it's <crooner at mac dot com>.

Here's hoping things are progressing nicely for you.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2005, 04:46 AM

Update:

1. My extreme apologies for the length of time it took to send out the latest build. I've been pretty busy with school-related things.

2. My even extremer apologies for the "testing 1 2 3" e-mail that got accidentally sent as a result of a screw-up on my part when trying to verify that the mailing list program was working. (As an aside, I have discovered that one of the disadvantages of 802.11g is that you can't just pull the Ethernet cable out in an emergency. D'oh!)

3. I'm now using a mailing list program to send these out instead of just doing it by individual e-mail, so it should be a little less chaotic, hopefully.

4. Hopefully, most of the problems should be fixed, so this should be getting closer to release. Cross your fingers!

pat75
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 12:33 PM

Hi,
I got a G4 running with 10.4.3 and would like to test Boot CD for Tiger.
my mail : [email protected]
thx
Pat

yoshi-harra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2005, 01:31 AM

Please count me in! I have a PowerBook G4 and Dual Core G5. Please let me try. My email is [email protected]

TIA

MDD867
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2005, 05:23 AM

I'd like to try the beta on my Quad G5 and 15" AiBook 1.5GHz!

email me: [email protected]

dahak777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 08:08 AM

Count me in too, been using it for the past while and would like to beable to create one based on tiger.

email is dahak777-AT-gmail.com

kiwioz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 06:45 AM

Please can I test this software..

[email protected]

Thanks Craig

kmasta1024
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 03:07 AM

id like to try the new software. my e-mail address is [email protected]

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 05:32 AM

Wow.. seems there's an unusually large amount of people signing up to want to beta test this software... :O
( Last edited by B Gallagher; Jan 17, 2006 at 09:38 AM. )
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher
Wow.. seems there's an unusually large amount of people signing up to want to beta test this software... :O
...or maybe a large number of people who think they'll get Tiger for free by participating. Just a hunch.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rjboger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2006, 08:28 PM

I already own tiger but would be intrested in helping you beta test

[email protected]

thanks in advance
Ray

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by rjboger
I already own tiger but would be intrested in helping you beta test

[email protected]

thanks in advance
Ray
Erm, just to clarify - you will not get a free copy of Tiger by beta testing BootCD.

Also, you need to send me an e-mail, not post in this thread, to volunteer for beta testing.

rslifka
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 02:11 AM

How's the testing coming Charles? Without BootCD, I'm lost

Rob

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
...or maybe a large number of people who think they'll get Tiger for free by participating. Just a hunch.
DING!

/there's a whole lotta stupid in this thread
//software sounds interesting though

rslifka
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 02:41 AM

I'm just speculating here... but the interest could come from the fact that creating a boot CD manually is some sort of black magic between voodoo and astrology. There's only one site that details this, and it's just not something I (and I suspect many others) care to do.

I'll definitely beta this.

Rob

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2006, 05:13 AM

BootCD's on hold for a while. It's a time-consuming thing, and there have been issues with some people's machines that I just can't figure out for now. There's no point testing the current build further as I already know what problems people are having with that one. I will send out a new build sooner or later to everyone who's e-mailed me (note, not those who have PMed me or posted in this thread! You have to e-mail).

Ronin1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by rslifka
I'm just speculating here... but the interest could come from the fact that creating a boot CD manually is some sort of black magic between voodoo and astrology. There's only one site that details this, and it's just not something I (and I suspect many others) care to do.

I'll definitely beta this.

Rob

How about a link to the site that details this?

Thanks!

BurmaYank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 10:17 PM

May I please beta test your BootCD for Tiger, too?

Yes, I promise to send you at least one e-mail letting you know EVEN IF things worked FINE!

Congratulations on your strong work!

Thanks. All the best.

--
Dave <[email protected]>

deanbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 08:39 PM

To Charles,

any chance of putting the Tiger beta of BootCD on your website for free downloading with a clear message that it is a beta?

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2006, 08:55 PM

Not until I can get it working again. One of the recent updates broke something.

This is incidentally why I haven't sent any builds out recently. The feedback won't be helpful right now, when I already know it doesn't work...

deanbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2006, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. And this may sound pretty dumb, especially since I only know a little about the C++ language, but is the boot order being interfered (I know that there is a boot order and have no idea how to check it) and are all the necessary/correct files being copied over when the disc image is being created.

winsuck
Mar 24, 2006, 08:43 AM

iBook G4, 14 in. Good luck fixing the program after hte update. I love your programs, pacifist, and DockDisks, I would like to try BootCD, because I do a lot of expirimenting, and if something goes wrong, with an automated hack, like display doctor, I can just run that program and deactivate it from the CD. I can't wait till boot CD comes out. When you get the BootCD working, again, can you email it to me, or if it's only 10.4.5 the error is in. Probly just permissions, stupid things can hold you back a long time. For example when i was building my computer, I was wondering why it wasn't showing anything... The CPU wasn't plugged in. So, try checking the permissions.
sorry i'm very talkative.
please email the beta of BootCD for tiger to [email protected]
Mike

il mare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2006, 01:48 AM

Please mail me the tiger version to try got a huge task coming up involving upgrading of 60 macs to tiger want all fail safes in place before proceeding thanx

Andrew

Originally Posted by CharlesS

Thanks!

Charles

cole20032000
Mar 29, 2006, 03:24 PM

I want to be a tester for boot cd for tiger ( i have a Powerbook G4)

Thanks a lot

mail : [email protected]

fadreek
Apr 2, 2006, 11:32 AM

Great experiences in the past with BootCD, would like to help with Tiger! Tiger (10.4.5) causes more problems than 10.3.9 (Sigh)

[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules