Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PoTC: Dead Man's Chest

PoTC: Dead Man's Chest
Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2006, 03:41 AM

Anyone else seen it?

Much better than the first one, IMO.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2006, 03:47 AM

I went to the midnight showing — I was a huge fan of the first one. I didn't think this one was quite as good, but again, I had pretty high expectations. I definitely enjoyed it. My only real complaint is that it could have stood to be about 30 minutes shorter (both because it felt a little thin at parts and because I really had to pee by the big fight scene).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Jul 8, 2006, 03:49 AM

Pretty funny at parts. The kraken was pretty cool. The damn theater was about 90 degrees by the end of it, that's my biggest complaint.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2006, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Brien
Much better than the first one, IMO.
If it is as good as the first one I would be more than satisfied.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 09:42 AM

Check this review out: http://www.askaninja.com/node/1175

Most reviews aren't much nicer than that one, but I'll still go see it.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 10:28 AM

Hmm I was pretty disappointed. The whole thing felt a lot more... loose and unwieldy to me. A little too much running back and forth away from things, and I feel like a lot cooler could've been done with the whole control of the chest idea. Good ending though.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2006, 10:33 AM

That review is sooooo right. Way too many plot lines - the movie tried to do too much. The only reason I enjoyed it was because Depp's portrayal of Jack Sparrow is hilarious, and because Keira Knightly is in it.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
That review is sooooo right. Way too many plot lines - the movie tried to do too much. The only reason I enjoyed it was because Depp's portrayal of Jack Sparrow is hilarious, and because Keira Knightly is in it.
PotC: Keira Knightley's Chest?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
PotC: Keira Knightley's Chest?

Now that's what I call some pirate BOOTY!!!

(Sorry, I just couldn't help myself)
iGeek

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 8, 2006, 12:53 PM

Booty is a bit lower and on the other side. Sheesh.

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2006, 01:41 PM

i thought the ask a ninjg dude had it completely right - what the hell was with all the plots, subplots etc? and at the end how did _________ return? augh, i am really dissappointed.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
and at the end how did _________ return?
I'm thinking you were supposed to be wondering that. It will be explained in the next one.
Chuck
___

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2006, 02:44 PM

I couldn't understand a word the witch doctor was saying.

Rumor
Jul 8, 2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
I couldn't understand a word the witch doctor was saying.
My mom had a friend in Mississippi that talked like her when I was a kid.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 8, 2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Pretty funny at parts. The kraken was pretty cool. The damn theater was about 90 degrees by the end of it, that's my biggest complaint.
Did you go see it at a theater in Grand Blanc, Michigan?!? Seriously, I had the same exact experience. Comfortable at the beginning, sweating like crazy in 90 degree heat at the end.

I saw in at a midnight showing because a freind bought the tickets and having two kids under 3 years old it's the only chance I have going to the theater anymore. At the theater I went to it was worse than any Star Wars premier with freaks dressed up in costume. I bet about 30% were in getups that took days to create and another 50% in bad pirate gear. You were not in the majority if you dressed normal.

I like it. I didn't really like the first one. The first one focused too much on Depp and neglected plot lines. This one had a a much better story, but the ending was lame with the obvious dangling unsettled plot.

EDIT: Added a "not". Can you find it.
( Last edited by Railroader; Jul 8, 2006 at 10:24 PM. )

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 06:23 PM

Ok, the temp thing is weird. Everyone in our group was sweating at the end of the flick. Now, I know, Depp is hot, but he aint that hot.

Do excited women really generate that much heat? Seriously, theaters are usually colder than grocery stores.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 06:27 PM

Well, heading to go see it now. I hope the theater I go to doesn't have the heat issues some yours had (especially since it's about 85° right now.)

Originally Posted by Railroader
... You were in the majority if you dressed normal.

Did you mean to say "minority"?

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 8, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem

I wondered the same thing.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 8, 2006, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
Well, heading to go see it now. I hope the theater I go to doesn't have the heat issues some yours had (especially since it's about 85° right now.)

Actually, I meant majority, but I also meant to have a not precede it.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 8, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dopetrackalistic
I wondered the same thing.
That's my goal; two keep you wondering.

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 8, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
That's my goal; two keep you wondering.
That was pretty funny.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 9, 2006, 12:16 AM

Shank you.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2006, 03:32 AM

Anyone else think they ripped off Orlando's shirt solely cause he has a sexy back?

Anyway, I enjoyed it. But, was it just me or was Jack a bit more cut throat in this one? Honestly I think sequels typically have to step things up a notch to be better than the first. I guess they tried to do that in this one. There were a few things that just seemed silly, what was with that whole thing where Jack was randomly worshiped as a god? I mean sure that was cool, but wasn't the bit in the ball a bit like in the Incredibles? And didn't it have the exact same feeling as the water wheel at the end?
Are they fighting Davy Jones in the next movie? I dono I realize they wanted to leave the plot open but it seems a bit too open to me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2006, 04:52 AM

Yeah, they just wanted to show his sexy, makeup-blood-covered back.
Chuck
___

Dopetrackalistic
Baninated
Jul 9, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Anyone else think they ripped off Orlando's shirt solely cause he has a sexy back?
Dude how didn't you realize you were gay?

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 01:08 PM

I saw it and really enjoyed it. The plot wasn't as neat and clever as the first, but they're obviously trying to magnify everything to beat the original and extend the franchise. Still, more than enough action and effects to justify my $8.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by phillryu
Hmm I was pretty disappointed. The whole thing felt a lot more... loose and unwieldy to me. A little too much running back and forth away from things

That is exactly what I didn't like about the first one.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 02:42 PM

I was pretty disappointed too.

The plot was disjointed. It seemed Disney was just trying to throw characters in left and right where ever they could possibly fit. Two simultaneous plots going at the same time was... hard to follow. The other thing that annoyed me was the whole Liz - Sparrow thing going on. In the first movie we were subjected to the whole does she like him, does she not thing with Liz - Turner and they finally resolve that story thread. It felt very rewarding to have that whole thread resolved that they love each other, and then they rip that all away when they have Liz go completely out of character and randomly decide she likes Sparrow instead. Now we have to go through an entire movie of her choosing who she likes, when we already had that story resolved once before. Finally, the end was just horrible. I was again looking for closure, and after what Sparrow did to the characters in the movie, I was really hoping he was dead. It was that bad, I wanted him to be dead. Maybe if he did die there could at least be some closure in this movie.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2006, 03:02 PM

It sux0red except for Keira and the special fx.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 9, 2006, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I'm thinking you were supposed to be wondering that. It will be explained in the next one.
Too bad though that after this movie I don't actually care enough to go see it in the theatres. I'll probably rent it though.

Ironically, to me this one felt even more like they wanted to make it into an amusement park attraction compared to the first one.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 9, 2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
That is exactly what I didn't like about the first one.
Same here.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2006, 11:43 PM

When they were in a swamp, and someone said something about "seeing her" I was like… hmm I bet its a black voodoo lady in a swamp.

Monkey Island did that every time I think

-Owl

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy

When they were in a swamp, and someone said something about "seeing her" I was like… hmm I bet its a black voodoo lady in a swamp.

Monkey Island did that every time I think

-Owl
I swear I thought the exact same thing.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2006, 11:57 AM

I didn't like it nearly as much as the first one. Seemed like it was lacking in plot, it was just more of the same. I didn't know it was going to be a trilogy until the abrupt ending. Just when I was about to say, "Oh, this'll be interesting..." the movie ends.

Of course having someone pull the fire alarm at the theatre in the middle of the movie didn't help, either. How'd the bunch of pirates in the second bone cage fall? The movie cut out just before that part, then started up again shortly after.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I didn't like it nearly as much as the first one. Seemed like it was lacking in plot, it was just more of the same. I didn't know it was going to be a trilogy until the abrupt ending. Just when I was about to say, "Oh, this'll be interesting..." the movie ends.

Of course having someone pull the fire alarm at the theatre in the middle of the movie didn't help, either. How'd the bunch of pirates in the second bone cage fall? The movie cut out just before that part, then started up again shortly after.
Somebody picked up a snake and everyone freaked out. Kinda lame actually.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 10, 2006, 12:02 PM

Scary how a crappy movie can break sales records.

"Hello, what have we here?

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2006, 12:29 PM

I liked it if only because I knew what to expect going in. I mean, come on - this is the middle film of a trilogy. Very rarely is the middle anything more than a bridge between two films that actually have something to say.

While we were in the theater, I kept wondering why they decided to delay the third installment for an entire year. Why couldn't they do a Kill Bill and shorten the time? Then I remembered it's Disney. It's more about making money.

The third will probably make up for this. Otherwise, I'll admit it was fun and visually entertaining if a bit long and repetative. Again, to be expected. Get over it.

And how did you not know this was a trilogy, olePigeon?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by zerroeffect
While we were in the theater, I kept wondering why they decided to delay the third installment for an entire year.
They make more money this way.

Plus it gives them time to finish the effects, build hype etc.

Other movies like LOTR, Back to the future 1,2 did this.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 12:42 PM

Yes, it's a trilogy, but most trilogies at least have some sort of conclusion in the middle movie. PoTC: Dead Man's Chest didn't.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2006, 03:28 PM

I dunno. I remember being a little unsatisfied with the second LoTR movie, only to feel it was made better after having seen the third. I guess right now the Pirates trilogy could go either way, but a lot will depend on the final.

Still, I'd watch Pirates again...which is more than I can say for Superman.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2006, 08:28 PM

I saw this over the weekend and have to say that I was hugely disappointed. I think I laughed twice in the whole thing, and was actually checking my watch in the second half.

It was disjointed with no single coherent plot, took ages to get going, fizzed a bit... I honestly couldn't tell you the plot and have no desire to see the third film.

Considering how great the first film was I left the theatre literally apologising to the friend I convinced to go with me.

Sminch

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by zerroeffect
I liked it if only because I knew what to expect going in. I mean, come on - this is the middle film of a trilogy. Very rarely is the middle anything more than a bridge between two films that actually have something to say.
Uhm, Empire Strikes Back or Terminator 2? Hell, even more recently X2 and Spider-Man 2?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by sminch
I saw this over the weekend and have to say that I was hugely disappointed. I think I laughed twice in the whole thing, and was actually checking my watch in the second half.

It was disjointed with no single coherent plot, took ages to get going, fizzed a bit... I honestly couldn't tell you the plot and have no desire to see the third film.

Considering how great the first film was I left the theatre literally apologising to the friend I convinced to go with me.
Heh. Sounds like my GF. I didn't really want to see it, but the GF forced me to go.

She got really worried that I was bored outta my mind cuz she saw me checking my watch every 15 minutes in the second half of the movie, and was ready to apologize for dragging me there.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82
Uhm, Empire Strikes Back or Terminator 2? Hell, even more recently X2 and Spider-Man 2?
Terminator 2 wasn't the middle in a trilogy. It was just the sequel to Terminator, and was meant to end the series.
Chuck
___

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2006, 11:04 PM

And unfortunately, they made T3.

Same with XMen/Spiderman. From what I understand, there are plans for far beyond 3 films.

Although, BTTF 2 was pretty good...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Too bad though that after this movie I don't actually care enough to go see it in the theatres. I'll probably rent it though.
OK, I've changed my mind. I will likely go see Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End at the theatre, unless it gets bad reviews.
Why? Simply cuz Chow Yun-Fat is in it.

Well, I didn't hate T3. T3 is better than PotC 2.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 10:28 AM

Same with XMen/Spiderman. From what I understand, there are plans for far beyond 3 films.

Although, BTTF 2 was pretty good...
I'm already worried about Spidey 3. When they start putting 3-4 bad guys in one movie it smells like batman 3 & 4.

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2006, 07:48 PM

It was okay.

Entertaining enough, until the last minute... **** ending.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 07:38 PM

i liked it, not as much as the first - i'll have to watch it a few more times on dvd

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

MrsLarry
Senior User
Jul 21, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Orlando Bloom is one of God's little miracles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules