Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > [ANN] Pacifist 2.5

[ANN] Pacifist 2.5
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 04:00 AM

Well, I promised you all a new version of Pacifist by the time Leopard shipped, and it looks like I made it.

Check it out:

http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.dmg

Aside from the obvious things like Leopard support, there are some other neat new features, such as .zip file support, and the ability to load packages and archives right over the network, via HTTP. With .zip and .pkg, this can be really fast, as Pacifist only downloads the portions of the file that it needs to list the file's contents. On my 3 Mbps DSL connection, Pacifist is able to load a 54 MB .zip file in under 3 seconds, and a 130 MB .pkg file in under 10 seconds. I've found this to be really handy if I just want to see exactly what a package will install and where without going to the trouble of downloading the whole thing.

Here's the change list.
  • Support for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and its new package format
  • Support for .xar archives
  • Support for .zip archives with extensive format support - should correctly extract Mac and UNIX metadata from Apple’s Zip format as well as MacZip, SmartZip, ZipIt, and InfoZip archives. In order to achieve support for all these formats as well as the “Open URL” feature, Pacifist has a new Zip parser written completely from scratch rather than using existing functionality such as the ‘zip’ command-line tool.
  • A new “Open URL” feature makes it possible to remotely load archives over the network. For .zip, .xar, .dmg, and Leopard .pkg packages, this feature only downloads the portion of the file which is necessary to read it, causing files to open much more quickly than it would take to download the whole archive (.zip files, in particular, are very fast - try it!).
  • All files in a package can now be viewed right in Pacifist using of a new “View Files” feature. The “View Files” feature includes support for various text and image file types, as well as support for RTF, RTFD, HTML, MS Word, and property list files. Pacifist 2.5 also adds a new hexadecimal file viewer for viewing binary files and unknown file types.
  • Loading a disk image containing a package will now cause the package to be loaded and its contents to be displayed.
  • Underscore files (._example) are no longer displayed as separate files, but are now considered an attribute of the original file. If a file has an underscore file or a resource fork associated with it, a badge is added to its icon to indicate this.
  • Package resources can now be extracted, just like package contents.
  • The Verify feature now ignores the permissions of symbolic links.
  • The Verify feature now has a “Zero-Length Files” check to detect files that may have been emptied by the recent prebinding bug in OS X
  • The search feature now employs a proper search field, as well as Command-G and Command-Shift-G to iterate through the search results.
  • Files that are being viewed via the “View Files” feature can now be searched.
  • Pacifist now includes an option to create BOM files.
  • Removed some outdated options from the preferences.
  • Unfortunately, the Czech localization has been removed from this version. Hopefully, it will be able to be re-added at some point in the future.
  • Numerous bug fixes.

Enjoy!
( Last edited by CharlesS; Oct 25, 2007 at 12:50 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2007, 08:55 AM

From the last few builds I've used it seems to be pretty solid.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 11:48 AM

Remote browsing of packages is pretty nifty, people should give it a try.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2007, 01:41 PM

Once I get leopard installed I'll be finally buying a copy of Pacifist! Great job Charles.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 25, 2007, 02:24 PM

Yeah this app is one of the few I've really liked and used. As soon as my bonus comes up I'll probably grab it.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 06:16 PM

And as it turned out, there were a few bugs that slipped through. I have just released Pacifist 2.5.1 to correct those:

http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.dmg

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules