Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Invisible links in signatures

Invisible links in signatures
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2009, 05:46 AM

So links in people's signatures don't get the little underline underneath them, a CSS feature that I hate. But this wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for the colors - I don't know if it's just my colorblind eyes or not, but to me a visited link in a signature looks exactly the same as the regular non-link text, and the only way to find a link that I may have already clicked on is to scrub over the whole signature with the mouse.

Could this please be fixed? Either change the color for visited links to something sufficiently different from the main text that my colorblind eyes can tell the difference, or put the underlines back under the links.

Thanks...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Feb 3, 2009, 06:13 AM

Visited links are pinkish-grayish-blue, unvisited links are just blue. I can see the difference just fine, although we may want to emphasize the difference in color in an update.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 3, 2009, 06:22 AM

Oreo, you must have those colors set in your browser. CharlesS must be allowing the page to override browser setting.

I agree that the visited-link color is only faintly darker than regular non-link text in signatures. Consider it on the to-do wishlist.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 3, 2009, 04:18 PM

I'll second reader's post - visited links are gray, albeit a sliiiightly different gray than normal text.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Consider it on the to-do wishlist.
Wishlist? Shouldn't it be a simple matter of making a five-second change to a CSS file or something?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 4, 2009, 03:18 PM

No, they have to have a séance and consult dead people before making ANY changes.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Wishlist? Shouldn't it be a simple matter of making a five-second change to a CSS file or something?
I nominate this for one of the best besson impressions of the year.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2009, 04:13 PM

Is it just me or is someone playing with the default font size?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2009, 10:15 PM

I now know the difference between the light grey and the light but ever so slightly darker grey. However, had this thread not existed, I would never have known the difference.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2009, 10:41 PM

There are a lot of things that should be simple with vBulletin that turn out not to be so much.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

reader50
Administrator
Feb 5, 2009, 07:07 PM

It might be fixed now, including the grey visited links in posts. It seems effgee wanted visited links to become a darker blue, but omitted the leading zeroes in the color numbers. Photoshop adds the leading zeros (#666 -> #000666), Firefox uses a different assumption. Color #666 -> #666666 or #060606, not sure which.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Is it just me or is someone playing with the default font size?
Not me, check the font style menu. See if you accidentally selected a different size.

I didn't feel like digging at the time. Also, my coding skills are better than my css skills. It was more like an hour - effgee left 29 css files to root around in.

If something else takes on an odd blue color, let us know.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2009, 10:17 AM

Not me, check the font style menu. See if you accidentally selected a different size.
It seems somehow I "zoomed out" the text in Firefox, the forum settings were all defaults. Weird.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2009, 09:13 PM

^ Cmd + dash for smaller text?

Originally Posted by reader50
Photoshop adds the leading zeros (#666 -> #000666), Firefox uses a different assumption. Color #666 -> #666666 or #060606, not sure which.
The CSS specs prescribe that values in three-digit notation are expanded as a doubling of the pairs:

The three-digit RGB notation (#rgb) is converted into six-digit form (#rrggbb) by replicating digits, not by adding zeros. For example, #fb0 expands to #ffbb00. This ensures that white (#ffffff) can be specified with the short notation (#fff) and removes any dependencies on the color depth of the display.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2009, 12:01 AM

Color #666
Well, there's the problem... the system's got the devil in it!

Actually, it seems to be working now AFAICT - thanks.

andi*pandi
Feb 9, 2009, 11:29 AM

It was more like an hour - effgee left 29 css files to root around in.
you need Firebug plugin for Firefox. Would point you to the right css file(s) in a snap.
I <3 firebug.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 10, 2009, 05:46 PM

Firebug installed - nice tip. Some digging would still have been required, since we have special css files for challenged browsers. Those would be the ones from the glass company.

Forum Links
Forum Rules