Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > HuluPlus/Netflix - Seeking Opinions

HuluPlus/Netflix - Seeking Opinions
msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2011, 07:30 PM

I just installed a new Sony Bravia HDTV and one of the Internet video offerings is HuluPlus.

I browsed the HD content on the HuluPlus website and although there is a lot of recent content, the number of HD offerings is paltry. I have a streaming subscription to Netflilx and they also have a somewhat dearth of HD content and most of the shows are old.

I'm not that impressed with HuluPlus nor Netflix.

What do you all think?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2011, 07:41 PM

I cancelled my Hulu Plus subscription after a couple months. They claimed to have all seasons of all the shows they offered, but the reality is vastly different. Also, paying for content and still having to watch adverts pisses me off. I am a big fan of Netflix though, I've never had any issue with their streaming services or DVDs.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I cancelled my Hulu Plus subscription after a couple months. They claimed to have all seasons of all the shows they offered, but the reality is vastly different. Also, paying for content and still having to watch adverts pisses me off. I am a big fan of Netflix though, I've never had any issue with their streaming services or DVDs.
I noticed that there are ads on Hulu Plus. Based on that point alone, I probably will take the 1 week free trial and dump it after that. I've never understood the idea of paying for the privilege of watching ads. I am still pissed off about the fact that we have to watch ads on cable TV.

Thanks for the input!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2011, 12:26 AM

I like Netflix. Yes, some of the content is old, but i've found enough all time favorites to keep me entertained. We don't have cable, so for the money it's a no brainer.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2011, 12:43 PM

I don't know if it will work with your TV, but Amazon now offers free video streaming to all Prime account holders. The cost of an Amazon Prime account is roughly the same as the streaming-only NetFlix account, and comes with other benefits as well.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2011, 07:04 PM

Check out the selection for Amazon prime before you buy though, it's pretty tiny (so far?). Also it's only free to paid prime accounts. I got the free "student" prime and no free streaming.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
What do you all think?
I think it'd be silly to try to force my opinion on you. The impression I got from your post was that HD is the most important thing. If that's case, nothing will provide that better than a cable/satellite subscription.

Otherwise, I couldn't gather a preference as far as age of programming goes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2011, 02:12 PM

I love Netflix streaming, and would certainly use it in lieu of cable TV,

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2011, 02:30 PM

Netflix - at least in Canada - is pretty sparse when it comes to movies at least. I had the free trial last month and I would say about 60% of the movies where I said "hey, let's go watch that movie!" were unavailable.

I found I ended up using another downloading service (iTunes/Bittorrent) about half-and-half with Netflix. Not as good as my local DVD rental store, although I'm sure it will be around for longer than the next two years.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think it'd be silly to try to force my opinion on you. The impression I got from your post was that HD is the most important thing. If that's case, nothing will provide that better than a cable/satellite subscription.
Except for some $12 Radio Shack rabbit ears...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Except for some $12 Radio Shack rabbit ears...
Given his complaints about the paltry offerings of Hulu and Netflix, I'm hard pressed to believe a few network television channels will satisfy his desires.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2011, 05:22 PM

Given his complaints about the paltry offerings of Hulu and Netflix, I'm hard pressed to believe a few network television channels will satisfy his desires.
But if HD is more important than selection, a regular old antenna (appropriate for your location) and tv with a digital tuner will give you the best picture.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 7, 2011, 05:26 PM

A great picture of nothing worth watching doesn't strike me as the winning answer.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 05:39 PM

A great picture of nothing worth watching doesn't strike me as the winning answer.
So the answer is to have hundreds more slightly less great pictures of nothing worth watching?

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
... Not as good as my local DVD rental store, although I'm sure it will be around for longer than the next two years.
The local Blockbuster store is closing here. I think this is the fallout due to all the online streaming services now available.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
So the answer is to have hundreds more slightly less great pictures of nothing worth watching?
I don't think there's an answer here. Unless some expectations get lowered.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 05:45 PM

I tried OTA HDTV for about 6 months. Without a decent antenna setup (rabbit ears didn't cut it), OTA is too much trouble. I couldn't get decent reception of the local channels. One of the stations would go blank whenever a car went by.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 05:46 PM

Even though I hate to spend the money, U-verse, ATV and Netflix is the optimal setup for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 05:48 PM

Hey, I sympathize. I loathe cable prices, but I find there are times I just want to channel surf and Netflix ends up being giant brain freeze.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 05:58 PM

Hey, I sympathize. I loathe cable prices, but I find there are times I just want to channel surf and Netflix ends up being giant brain freeze.
That's why I have a Kindle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 06:00 PM

What does a kindle have to do with channel surfing?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 06:04 PM

What does a kindle have to do with channel surfing?
Because I have a Kindle, I never feel the need to channel surf.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 06:29 PM

Does it get FX?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 06:38 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules