Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > nVidia 8600m failure or Lion?

nVidia 8600m failure or Lion?
seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 19, 2011, 06:34 PM

So I've been having some intermittent graphical distortions with my MacBook Pro over the last week.
I took it to the Apple store and told them about the problem. Of course it was fine at the time and passed the nVidia test.

I managed to get some pictures and a video today on my camera - screenshots come out fine.

Thoughts?

The lines dance around all over the place, like interference, then it'll go back to normal.
Doesn't seem to be totally related.

I wondered if it might be Lion, since I upgraded a few weeks ago and I'd read there had been some graphics related issues.

P.S - Ignore the article, I'd just logged out of my Hotmail account

Edit: Or maybe it is heat related. The machine was just cooling down as I posted this and again I got some nice blue fuzzy stuff.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2011, 06:59 PM

Does it happen if you move the lid?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2011, 06:59 PM

Yeah, those are 8600m failure symptoms. That's how it manifested on my brother's Penyrn (intermittently too and with thermal issues), and I've been waiting patiently for it happen on other Penryn but after some minor graphical glitches months ago it hasn't acted up since. How much longer does the recall extend for?
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 19, 2011 at 07:05 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2011, 07:05 PM

3 years from purchase isn't it? I'd go back with the pics.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2011, 08:00 PM

Do you by any chance have easy access to an external monitor? If so, photograph both the laptop and the external monitor in the same frame, that'll be even better evidence...

reader50
Administrator
Sep 19, 2011, 08:47 PM

You could reboot into Snow Leopard or Leopard to check it, and it might be fine there. Each OSX version makes more use of the GPU, so it's a fair bet Lion is pushing it enough to make the problem visible. Though technically, it would still be an 8600 issue, which Lion is only exposing.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2011, 01:42 AM

Ugh, I had problems like that too with my old early 2008 MBP. I'd say that definitely looks like a flaky GPU. The 8600 was such a lemon...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

seanc  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2011, 07:31 AM

Yes I do have access to an external monitor, but the problem will probably go away by the time I get around to walking across the room and hooking it up.

Apple did agree to repair it if I can bring it in before the end of the year, so I shouldn't need to prove the problem to them. I made sure to raise the issue before I leave for holiday because my Apple Care expires while I'm away.

Cheers for the input guys - I was expecting the issue to show up in screenshots or look like CharlesS pictures that he posted a while ago.

Edit: olePigeon, no it doesn't happen or change if I move the lid - tried that.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2011, 11:19 AM

I'm very glad to hear that Apple agreed to repair it!

seanc  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 21, 2011, 02:37 PM

So here's something I didn't expect:

The GPU is apparently fine, either the LVDS connection/cable or the panel is failing.
It's been stuck this way for a good half an hour now.
No amount of screen moving will make it go away, can't seem to find a point on the laptop which exasperates the issue either, apart from possible just above the trackpad, but I can't be sure.

I'll see if I can boot an appointment at the Apple Store in the morning on the off chance I can persuade them to re-seat some cables, else I'll be taking my MacBook instead, which is also broken - it doesn't charge batteries.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
3 years from purchase isn't it? I'd go back with the pics.
Btw, Apple has generously extended the recall to four years from date of purchase.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules