Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Photos storage online options?

Photos storage online options?
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2014, 11:12 AM

I am researching the different options of storage my photos online but not sure which is better.

Comparing the best ways to store your photos online | How To - CNET

Since my iMac hard drive is full with tons pics in iPhoto and I am want to be able upload and store all of my photos/short videos online.

I need your input as mac users on which is the better option to go for? Your experiences?

Thanks!

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2014, 11:40 AM

SmugMug

andi*pandi
Jan 16, 2014, 12:22 PM

I don't know if I'd rely on flickr, imgur, snapfish, or even dropbox to be my main photo library. What you perhaps need is a bigger hard drive!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2014, 12:31 PM

Store or share?

For storage, services like Dropbox, google drive, box.net etc are all much of a muchness. Like andi says, I would not rely on any of them for primary storage. I would always want to have a (several) local copy(ies).

For display and sharing I personally use flickr, but other services such as smugmug are just as good, perhaps better.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2014, 02:19 PM

why is it not a good idea to store picture via flickr or whatsoever?

Because I'm afraid that one day my iMac or external hard drive dies? Or... (knock on wood).. worse case scenario if the house is on fire, burglary, or things like that. I'm going to lose all of the photos.. So that's why I like the idea of store pictures online so that way I have nothing to worry about losing these pictures?

Your inputs?

Thanks again.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2014, 04:04 PM

There may be some confusion here.

The idea is not to use something like Flickr exclusively, as in, your only existing copy.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2014, 12:48 PM

I used to use Flickr to back up all my old photos. I never finished importing all of them, though.

You get a terabyte of photo storage, which should be enough.

I will add that iPhoto libraries consume a retarded amount of space. The way that iPhoto works involves creating multiple copies of every photo in your library. It sucks disk space like you wouldn't believe. I would highly recommend looking at third-party photo organizers that DON'T put your photos into an unnecessarily complex folder and file structure. Something that lets you just browse your photos from wherever you store them makes a lot more sense. Take a look at Picasa or, if you have Adobe apps, try Bridge.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

andi*pandi
Jan 17, 2014, 01:45 PM

brrrr, bridge.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2014, 04:12 PM

Uhhhhh, Bridge.

Not to my worst enemy.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2014, 02:47 AM

I like flickr's terms a lot more than Google's, or SmugMug.

Then again, this is purely for sharing, not storage. For that in addition to Time Machine I use an external HDD kept in the glovebox for off site photo storage. Plug it in and an AppleScript folder action points rsync at iPhoto Library and the encrypted disk image on the HDD.

You know shif, iPhoto is not meant to be used in concert with the Finder. Not. It never has been. After a brief stint with iPhoto '11 (why???) the only competitors that seemed worthwhile to me were Lyn - Lightweight image browser and viewer designed for Photographers, Graphic Artists and Web Designers and Shoebox. I have no idea if they work well as supplemental to manual file management. Also this was a couple years ago and I've since upgraded back down to iPhoto '09.

Bridge... maybe on WINDOWS?

Forum Links
Forum Rules