Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Lynx and Pine are gone.. why?

Lynx and Pine are gone.. why?
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2004, 06:46 AM

And how do I get them back?

I don't use them often but they are essential imo. I opened the Terminal and ran Lynx.

Code:
user$ lynx -bash: lynx: command not found
same thing with Pine. They used to be there.

Same on both the machines I'm using (iBook & PB) and both are running 10.3.6 with all security patches and updates.

Anyone know?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2004, 08:18 AM

Lynx was never part of the default install. I know this because I've downloaded and installed it for every OSX version that I've had. Both Lynx (or links, which is perhaps better, IMO) and Pine can be had on the net, pine from darwin ports and I think there's a package installer for Lynx available. Links you'll have to probably build from source, but it's pretty simple.
weird wabbit

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2004, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
Lynx was never part of the default install. I know this because I've downloaded and installed it for every OSX version that I've had. Both Lynx (or links, which is perhaps better, IMO) and Pine can be had on the net, pine from darwin ports and I think there's a package installer for Lynx available. Links you'll have to probably build from source, but it's pretty simple.
Thanks.

I've never installed Lynx or Pine though on any of my Macs so it must have been a part of the default installation of Puma, Jaguar and Panther. :/

[Edit: After downloading a .pkg from here and installing it I still get the same message in the Terminal. Is there something else than just installing the .pkg that I need to do to use Lynx?]
( Last edited by voodoo; Nov 17, 2004 at 09:06 AM. )

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Thanks.

I've never installed Lynx or Pine though on any of my Macs so it must have been a part of the default installation of Puma, Jaguar and Panther. :/

[Edit: After downloading a .pkg from here and installing it I still get the same message in the Terminal. Is there something else than just installing the .pkg that I need to do to use Lynx?]
Where was the binary installed? It needs to be in your path, or you can run it directly by specifying the correct path (e.g. ./lynx from the directory where it's located).

voodoo  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2004, 01:16 PM

Well, I have no idea actually. There was no documentation with Lynx.

Nothing turns up in search. I am sure I finished the installation. It's there somewhere.

Sometimes this Unix stuff confuses me. I really don't know much about installing things in the Terminal. Lynx just used to be there.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2004, 09:57 PM

I found the same problem posted about it last night. It says on the installer this app will only run in 10.2 but also had it running not but a few weeks ago. Very strange. If you get it going post back i love to get mind going again.

real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

staph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2004, 10:41 PM

You can get already compiled, official, pine binaries here. Once they're downloaded, just move them anywhere you like � I usually use /usr/local/bin. This isn't in the default path, so I've edited my bash profile (/etc/profile) so the path variable includes it.

Links can be found here. It compiles cleanly on 10.3, so all you need to do is cd into it's source directory and do the usual

./configure
make
sudo make install.

You'll need the developer tools to be installed. It installs by default to /usr/local/bin, so you'll definitely want to add that to your path.
I would like you on a long black
leash,
You can bring me all the things I
need.

Forum Links
Forum Rules