Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting on wirelessly at an airport or other location...

Getting on wirelessly at an airport or other location...
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 09:37 AM

Is the Powerbook setup to automatically detect the Wi-Fi? do i have to change any of the default settings? is ther an icon to tell me if a Wi-Fi is being detected?
blah

Detrius
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2004, 06:45 PM

That depends on your OS. 10.3 will automatically inform you of networks. I believe with 10.2, you will have to either get third party software (like iStumbler) or check yourself.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

quadraphonic
Sep 12, 2004, 02:11 AM

What are the appropriate settings to do that? I seem to be having trouble with network detection on my computer (outside of my home network anyway).
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 02:17 AM

Turn on Airport. I think that's all you need.
iamwhor3hay

cambro
Senior User
Sep 12, 2004, 10:15 AM

Yup, just turn on airport.

If it says you have no signal, be sure to still click on the airport icon in the menu bar and check for networks (the names of all of the networks available will be listed for selection). Sometimes it won't automatically connect to a network, but it usually does as of 10.3.

It's always a good thing to turn on airport when you are someplace new. You'd be surprised at home many wireless points are available out there (coming from people's home networks especially).

winwintoo
Sep 12, 2004, 10:29 AM

In airports, your airport thingy on the menubar will automatically pick up the network if there is one (worked for me in 10.2.8 and 10.3), but you won't be able to send or receive mail until you pay for it.

To pay for it open any web browser and you'll get a page from the network that will tell you how to sign up and how to pay - usually a credit card right there - about $7 USD for 24 hours (no discount for less time and not transferable to another airport)

HTH M

PS: if you're lucky enough to get on one of those new Airbus planes, you can even plug your laptop in on long flights even in steerage!!

rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 11:27 AM

Go into your Network Preference Pane and make sure "Show AirPort status in menu bar" is checked. Any time you're in range of a network you can select it by clicking on the menu bar AirPort indicator. Any available networks will be listed can be accessed (if you have the network's individual password) by clicking on it in the drop-down menu.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Go into your Network Preference Pane and make sure "Show AirPort status in menu bar" is checked. Any time you're in range of a network you can select it by clicking on the menu bar AirPort indicator. Any available networks will be listed can be accessed (if you have the network's individual password) by clicking on it in the drop-down menu.

Also under network: Airport select "by default join
AUTOMATIC"

Forum Links
Forum Rules