Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disappearing Disk Space!

Disappearing Disk Space!
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 05:42 PM

The today have been crazy.

It all started last night, in which when i woke up this morning, my PB tells me it has no more disk space. At first, i was like "well i wasn't downloading anything all night, my comp was just on with iTunes and Adium running..so why didn't it tell me before i went to sleep?". It was very weird. So I go to see how much space i have...none left. So i delete some things, making it say 1.25 GB available. I restart, and magically went up to 1.67 GB available. so i leave my comp on all day, come back, and then it said on 1.61 GB available, and now it says 1.6! where is my memory going!? What is my comp writing? any way to find out?
blah

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 05:46 PM

it's a log file. There was a news post on xlr8yourmac.com that said some piece of software was broken by 10.3.8 and caused it. Hold on and I'll see if I can find it.

edit: here's the link

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/...05.html#S18793

Might not be the same driver causing your problems, but it might be related
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 05:48 PM

Seeing the reported free space drop from 1.67 GB to 1.60 GB is insignificant and nothing to worry about. More importantly, it sounds like your hard disk drive is full. You should move some stuff to another device or delete some older files. As a general rule, you should never let your hard drive get more than about 95% full (there is no precise number, of course).

Chris

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Jolt21:
The today have been crazy.

It all started last night, in which when i woke up this morning, my PB tells me it has no more disk space. At first, i was like "well i wasn't downloading anything all night, my comp was just on with iTunes and Adium running..so why didn't it tell me before i went to sleep?". It was very weird. So I go to see how much space i have...none left. So i delete some things, making it say 1.25 GB available. I restart, and magically went up to 1.67 GB available. so i leave my comp on all day, come back, and then it said on 1.61 GB available, and now it says 1.6! where is my memory going!? What is my comp writing? any way to find out?
Do you have a teenager that likes to "play on the computer" late at night after you've gone to bed?

When you rebooted, it cleaned out temp files.

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 06:44 PM

i don't have that driver, this is weird

thnx for the help guys, if it drops anymore i'll be sure to let you know
blah

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 12:23 AM

Check /var/vm. Those are your swap files. They take a lot of space and go away after a reboot (just to come back later).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
Check /var/vm. Those are your swap files. They take a lot of space and go away after a reboot (just to come back later).
once i find those, can i just delete them? what do i do with them?
blah

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 01:28 PM

You don't do anything with them. They are created and managed by the operating system and are required for your computer to work.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules