Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Surround Sound: Comp/TV/Video Game Console

Surround Sound: Comp/TV/Video Game Console
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2006, 03:15 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a surround sound system for my powerbook, dvd player, and video game console. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it better to go with come somputer surround sound speakers or get a pro set with a reciever and such sold seperately?

to give you an idea of what I am looking for:

-I listen to Hip-Hop mostly, so bass is a must
-It is for my dorm room (which is pretty big), but it want something I can take with me out of out of college in a year
-Around a $300-$400 limit (under $300 would be even better)
blah

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2006, 04:07 PM

I'd say since you want it for multiple devices (I assume there is a TV set in the mix too), to go with a pro receiver and speaker set.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 11:17 PM

Get the dedicated reciever. You're probably gonna be looking at a decent home-theater-in-a-box system for $300-$400.

Remember though that your Powerbook, since it doesn't have optical out, you'll need to factor in the cost of some sort of surround sound peripheral for your mac. Something like this:
Griffin Technology: FireWave - Surround Sound for Mac

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Get the dedicated reciever. You're probably gonna be looking at a decent home-theater-in-a-box system for $300-$400.

Remember though that your Powerbook, since it doesn't have optical out, you'll need to factor in the cost of some sort of surround sound peripheral for your mac. Something like this:
Griffin Technology: FireWave - Surround Sound for Mac
ok, i will look for some and try to get opinions...what brands should i be looking at?
blah

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 11:54 AM

ok, so i think i found one that can take in video b/c i dont have many inputs for my TV...

Yamaha YHT 470SL

Yamaha YHT 470SL - home theater system - 5.1 channel Reviews. Home Theater in a Box (HTIBs) Reviews by CNET.

anyone know anything about yamaha products? this looks like it has everything i am looking for...video inputs, audio inputs, dvd player, outputs, etc...
blah

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 12:06 PM

blah

Jolt21  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 12:12 PM

any opinions? i really am about to buy it...
blah

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 05:32 PM

They both look like they would do what you want. I can add that I have listened to the JVC model and it sounds very nice for movies, tv, music, etc...

spice003
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 05:04 AM

i would go with Yamaha. jvc sucks ass

Forum Links
Forum Rules