Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How much space do photos take up on the iPad?

How much space do photos take up on the iPad?
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2011, 10:05 PM

Once they get optimized I mean. On my iPhone 3GS, I have almost 10,000 photos and they take up 4 gigs of space. So roughly 400k each.

What would the same number of pictures optimize to on an iPad? Anyone know? I'm guessing larger, but I want to know for sure.

I'm trying to decide if I need to pay for more storage or not, because I want to store a crapload of pictures on my iPad.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2011, 10:41 PM

That's in interesting question, and I don't know the answer. (It would be easy to figure it out for some...put some photos on the iPhone and the iPad and use on the utility apps that can get into the iDevice file system to compare sizes).

But to speculate, I'd guess the photos are the same size since the iPhone 4 screen resolution is pretty close to iPad screen resolution.

My buying recommendation: Because this is a concern for you, just get the 64GB iPad, unless $100 is going to break your bank. I have a 64GB iPad and it's only about half full. But I think of that empty space as potential. And especially with the new iPad's cameras, you could fill that space pretty quickly with pictures and video that you shoot yourself and edit in iMovie, or with music that you create or record.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2011, 09:36 AM

I'm pretty good at managing my stuff, so I was trying to decide between 16 and 32. Especially now that 4.3 will stream iTunes content.

Can someone just pull up the photo tab when they sync and post the number of pictures and amount of space? I can do the math.

Thanks. I'll write an iPad related haiku as a reward.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2011, 12:37 PM

So no one wants a haiku, huh?

Your loss.

Forum Links
Forum Rules