Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Wi-Fi for a Beige G3 266MHz Minitower

Wi-Fi for a Beige G3 266MHz Minitower
bigcrabtree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 03:01 PM

Trying to find a solution for my girlfriends old mac. We are trying to tap into the wi-fi network that is running in her apartment building so she can take advantage of faster internet. I've been searching and asking around about a wireless PCI card for her Mac, a Beige G3 Minitower.

There are several options i am aware of(USB, Ethernet, PCI) but which one actually works well with this machine and with OS9.1?

If anyone can help us out we would appreciate it.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 08:01 AM

A Linksys WET11 is a good choice as it connects to the Ethernet port. Downside is that it has a Windows only config mode using Linksys software. But once it is configured, just plug it in and she will be connected.

The networking forum would also have been a better place for this post as this is really a networking issue.

Luck.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
A Linksys WET11 is a good choice as it connects to the Ethernet port. Downside is that it has a Windows only config mode using Linksys software. But once it is configured, just plug it in and she will be connected.

The networking forum would also have been a better place for this post as this is really a networking issue.

Luck.
Most if not all routers nowadays have a web config. Windows only config is for first generation devices. If you buy any item at a computer store now any wireless router will work, and have a web config.

Nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

Forum Links
Forum Rules