Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > boot up is slow and osx freezes.

boot up is slow and osx freezes.
aye5882
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 11:21 PM

hey all. This problem just started this week. I think it might be due to the 10.4.10 update. anyway, i noticed that the boot up time is considerably slow now. during startup w/ the gray screen and the apple logo in darker gray, that little clock face with it blinking clockwise shows up below the apple logo. this normally happens when i upgrade the software... but its happening everytime i boot up the computer.

also, the computer freezes up... once when i was watching a movie on quicktime and i moved the mouse to see how much time left in the movie. the other time, when i was listening to music andi moved the mouse. the screen gets darker, but not totally black, like the computer is saving power and a message saying that i have to hold the power button down for at least 5 seconds to turn off the computer. the message is in two other languages. this happened in a period of two days....

any idea on what could be the problem and how i go about solving it??

thanks!

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2007, 12:17 AM

Something similiar happened to my one of my buddy's Macbook Pro, it would startup slow and it was constantly crashing. We managed to fix the problem by installing a fresh copy of Mac OS X 10.4.8 which immediatly fixed the crashing and slow startup. But I would recomment that you first try and repair the permission on the startup disk and then Verify that the disk through Disk Utility. Also its a good idea to perform a hardware test just incase, dont ask me why but I think its a good idea to be completly sure before you perform a fresh install.

Make sure to backup all of your documents and other important information to a disk, it sounds pretty elementary be even the hardcore geeks sometimes loose there data just because they forgot to backup the documents folder.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by aye5882 View Post
hey all. This problem just started this week. I think it might be due to the 10.4.10 update. anyway, i noticed that the boot up time is considerably slow now. during startup w/ the gray screen and the apple logo in darker gray, that little clock face with it blinking clockwise shows up below the apple logo. this normally happens when i upgrade the software... but its happening everytime i boot up the computer.

also, the computer freezes up... once when i was watching a movie on quicktime and i moved the mouse to see how much time left in the movie. the other time, when i was listening to music andi moved the mouse. the screen gets darker, but not totally black, like the computer is saving power and a message saying that i have to hold the power button down for at least 5 seconds to turn off the computer. the message is in two other languages. this happened in a period of two days....

any idea on what could be the problem and how i go about solving it??

thanks!
It sounds like OS X got hosed. That message you keep getting is called a Kernel Panic. What type of mouse do you have? It sounds like the mouse has a problem with OS X.
Signature depreciated.

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 02:20 AM

Check the boot disk with Disk First Aid. I have had similar issues and found that there were errors on the disk. If your boot disk needs to be repaired slap in your OS install disk and use disk first aid while booted with that disk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules