Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther and Firewire HD's

Panther and Firewire HD's (Page 3)
rtamesis
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 11:28 AM

I connected my brand new iPod to my Panther to sync my iTune files with it then made the mistake of getting the Mac OS 10.3.1 update and rebooting while the iPod was still connected ( to charge the battery after downloading all my songs). Now my Mac doesn't recognize the iPod after all and doesn't mount it on iTunes either. I booted into OS 9.2.2, reset the iPod before connecting it to the Mac and it mounted on the desktop. Disk Utility hangs if I attempt to repair the iPod with it, and Drive Setup is unable to initialize the iPod either. Any other suggestions on fixing this toasted iPod?

kovacs
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 01:31 PM

Have you tried using iPod software update to restore your iPod ? You can download it from Apple's website if you don't already have it...

check applications/utilities/

� C_A_S �
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 07:21 PM

Here my experiences:

yesterday I got my new ibook 12" 800 G4

Panther is preinstalled and I updated to 10.3.1

None of my FW drives are recognized, they don't show up in the finder, disk utility etc...

Checking with my MIO interfaces, an external burner I found the FW bus working sweet as..
All the edrives mount within seconds on my TI667DVI, with Panther 10.3.1 installed.
I tried target mode for the Ibook and I could access the ibook HDD without probs.

All these posts scare the hell out of me, I do not have the possibility to backup all 500+ GB data instantly, and if so, to what ? FW drives again???

At the moment I can get away with my external magma SCSI and the 2 37GB cheetahs that sit in there and work reliable for years now.

But what to do if you can't trust external HDD any more? Mine is nearly gone...

mshaffer16
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 03:21 AM

I am in the same exact situation with a 200 GB LaCie and all was fine after installing 10.3, but then trying to move drive to another mac (0S 10.2) for transferring files, it will not mount on any platform, OS 9.2 ibook as well. This is critical data as I'm sure most of you are wooried as well. I need a fix ASAP as there are 3 FCP 4.5 projects that I cannot recover. I updated to 10.3 to handle FCP 4.5. PLEASE ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE NEEDED.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Sam Venning:
My Firewire 800 (180GB) drive was "toasted" after installing Mac OS 10.3. The drive was off during the installation. After the install I was using it for a while. Unmounting it and then attempting to mount it again... toast. I sure hope there is a fix to this problem (I DON"T want to lose the data Apple). Attaching the drive to Mac OS 10.2.8 computer it still fails to mount (with an offer to erase).
[email protected][/EMAIL
The source of the problem isn't clear. Is it:
- FireWire HDD firmware?
- corrupt directory?... or
- Mac OS 10.3 simply failing to recognise certain Firewire 800 drives?

Which one is it?

I'm leaving my Firewire 800 (180GB) drive off until I get a more satisfactory diagnosis of the problem.

I'll be very angry if data on the drive is lost - I won't be a happy Apple Mac OS 10.3 user for sure.
[/QUOTE]]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2004, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by mshaffer16:
I am in the same exact situation with a 200 GB LaCie and all was fine after installing 10.3, but then trying to move drive to another mac (0S 10.2) for transferring files, it will not mount on any platform, OS 9.2 ibook as well. This is critical data as I'm sure most of you are wooried as well. I need a fix ASAP as there are 3 FCP 4.5 projects that I cannot recover. I updated to 10.3 to handle FCP 4.5. PLEASE ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE NEEDED.
There's a thread on LaCie d2 drives over in the Peripherals forum.

I posted this yesterday:
Is your drive updated to the latest firmware?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14069

That fixed a lot of problems people were having with Panther and LaCie drives.

Also, check to see that you really have Apple's drivers installed on the disk, and not LaCie's Silverlining. (The only way to change this AFAIK is to reformat the disk using Disk Utility.)

I have read of problems with LaCie's own drivers when using the disk for audio. Different problem, but you never know.
Also, MAKE SURE Panther is updated past 10.3.2.

-s*

mshaffer16
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 03:56 PM

I have downloaded the firmware for the drive 1.0.5. However if the drive is not mounted it cannot apply the firmware. Apparently this issue came back with 10.3.4 after it was first fixed with 10.3.3. I am running 10.3.4. ANY SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED> THANKS!

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

I posted this yesterday:Also, MAKE SURE Panther is updated past 10.3.2.

-s*

mshaffer16
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2004, 04:42 PM

In addition, it also kick my FW DVCAM deck offlina and cannot be seen by any other computer or OS. I am beginning to think more and more that it is Apple OS10.3.4
Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:

I posted this yesterday:Also, MAKE SURE Panther is updated past 10.3.2.

-s*

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by mshaffer16:
I have downloaded the firmware for the drive 1.0.5. However if the drive is not mounted it cannot apply the firmware.
IIRC the drive just has to be plugged into the Mac and have power. It does not have to be mounted in order to update the firmware. Actually, before the updater installs the new firmware it will unmount all partitions on the drive being updated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules