Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you agree with Bill Cosby?

Do you agree with Bill Cosby?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 02:26 PM

Don't know if this is a hoax email, whether everybody has already seen it, but this was passed on to me. What do you think about what he is saying here?

Looks like New Orleans is waking people
up. Bill Cosby is shaking their bed again.
"We Can't Blame White People"
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:23:29 EDT
by BILL COSBY

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk:
Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...
And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.
Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth.
In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living. People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around.
The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.
These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics. I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.
Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?
People putting their clothes on backward: Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?
People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something? Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?
What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.
Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.
We have got to take the neighborhood back.
People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' -- or men or whatever you call them now. We have millionaire football players who cannot read.
We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.
We have to start holding each other to a higher standard. We cannot blame the white people any longer."

meelk
Baninated
Mar 21, 2006, 02:29 PM

Bill Cosby has said this same kind of thing many times. He is ashamed of black America, and I cant say I blame him for it.
"millionaire football players who cannot read. "
reminds me of that American Idol winner who couldnt read, I think her name was "Fantasia".
I cant say this does much for black America either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_O...rch=leprechaun

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
Bill Cosby has said this same kind of thing many times. He is ashamed of black America, and I cant say I blame him for it.
I hear an equally number of white Americans say "Can I axe you a question".

"Barwaraaawww"

meelk
Baninated
Mar 21, 2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
I hear an equally number of white Americans say "Can I axe you a question".
yes, they are called "wiggers"

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 02:42 PM

I totally agree with the Cos' on this. But then again, he could replace "black" with any race, and if they speak, act, or behave this way, I would still agree.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 02:42 PM

He is right whatever the language you speak, the young people are getting lazier and lazier and do not want to make an effort to speak properly.

We have the same problem in French Canada, the same problem in France.

It should always be unacceptable to speak slang.

ambush
Banned
Mar 21, 2006, 02:57 PM

meelk
Baninated
Mar 21, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
He is right whatever the language you speak, the young people are getting lazier and lazier and do not want to make an effort to speak properly.

When "ebonics" is accepted as a language, you have a problem, regardless of what color you are. The black American community in general needs to stand up more, as harsh as it sounds. Maurey Povich can fill hour after hour of "he is NOT the father". I would call that a problem.
Blacks arent the only community with problems, but the ratio is far higher for problems across the board within the black community. Time to come to grips with reality black America, and fix what needs fixing.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 03:00 PM

"You" have a problem in Alberta with "French Canada"?

Do you mean "Canada has a problem with French Canadians" or "French speaking people in Canada"?

Seems like Alberta has a problem of its own.

"Barwaraaawww"

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 03:08 PM

You might not know this but Canada is a bilingual country. Also, your reaction bent is very racist and common within Alberta.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Mar 21, 2006, 03:08 PM

So it's agreed that black America is dragging their feet when it comes to helping themselves. This is why I believe that affirmative action only worsens the problem. Americans as a people must work hard to get what they deserve, it should not be handed to them. On the flipside, there has been a lot more youth delving into the arts (as crappy as it may be) as oppose to the sciences, could this be a good thing in its own right?

ambush
Banned
Mar 21, 2006, 03:10 PM

aye, monique, décalisse de cte crisse de province là pis ramène ton cul icitte.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by TubaMuffins
So it's agreed that black America is dragging their feet when it comes to helping themselves. This is why I believe that affirmative action only worsens the problem. Americans as a people must work hard to get what they deserve, it should not be handed to them. On the flipside, there has been a lot more youth delving into the arts (as crappy as it may be) as oppose to the sciences, could this be a good thing in its own right?

Black youth, or youth in general?

What sort of arts do you mean? Liberal arts? Fine arts?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2006, 03:14 PM

I agree that Jello Pudding Pops are delicious.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 03:16 PM

You might not know this but Canada is a bilingual country.
Ya living in Toronto CANADA my whole life I somehow must have missed the memo that Canada is bilingual.

My comment was based purely on your piss poor English when you are talking about how "French Canada" has a problem with language.

By the way how did your move to the US go? I remember you bitching about Canada 4 years ago and how you are moving to greener pastures in the US. You get off your ass yet? I'd love to hear the answer as every time I bring it up you disappear.

"Barwaraaawww"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 03:20 PM

That looks like a summary of his speech at the Brown v. Board of Education commemoration. And yeah, I agree.

Just to add something, Wyclef Jean says essentially the same thing in the Dave Chapelle block party movie. He's talking to a bunch of band kids and says, basically, "Don't ever let anyone tell you the white man is keeping you down. The white man doesn't do ****. I came to this country and didn't know a lick of English, so I went to the library and learned it. If anybody wants to, they can do the same thing."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

meelk
Baninated
Mar 21, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by I Bent My Wookiee
Ya living in Toronto CANADA my whole life I somehow must have missed the memo that Canada is bilingual.

My comment was based purely on your piss poor English when you are talking about how "French Canada" has a problem with language.

By the way how did your move to the US go? I remember you bitching about Canada 4 years ago and how you are moving to greener pastures in the US. You get off your ass yet? I'd love to hear the answer as every time I bring it up you disappear.
lolol

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 03:29 PM

Dis ho be dun loco!

The Windozer
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2006, 03:41 PM

"There are...
Some people are...
These people are...
Everyone knows that..."

Vague generalizations. Quite possibly an interesting and relevant topic, but presented sloppily and comes off more like a half-hearted personal attack on "them". This wouldn't earn the author any top grade in English class.
Making sense is overrated.

Hippotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia -The fear of long words.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 03:47 PM

Like I said, it looks like a condensed version of a much more fleshed-out speech.
Chuck
___

spindler
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2006, 03:49 PM

I've lived and worked with average black people and not speaking English well is the very least of their problems. I think they put in more effort to get through life than you would think, looking at their results, but they do everything in a half ass way.

When raising their kids, they don't understand that yelling and negativity doesn't work. They just are not aware that you have to gently break a child of their natural instincts to do what they want.

Blacks are always, always fighting with each other in one way or another. If a black person asks a black bus driver for directions, and they misunderstand each other, it usually ends with both thinking the other is trying to dis them. Virtually anything can turn into an argument. Blacks just don't have appropriate ways of avoiding confrontation.

And blacks are generally just not curious or interested in learning, most likely because when they were little kids their parents didn't encourage it but rather yelled at them if it got in the way. I've been on the job with them, and if the conversation gets to a level of detail above them, or you try to teach them something they don't immediately get, they just kinda tune out. They figure there's some easier way to do it, and the more complicated stuff just doesn't apply to them.

So I don't take it too seriously when blacks are racist against whites, or don't speak English well. The main problem is that theya re just unaware of the basic rules. And black chuches and people like Jesse Jackson have to be the lowest. They see blacks misbehaving, yet won't offer them or tell them about the basic rules to follow.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by spindler
Blacks are always, always fighting with each other in one way or another. If a black person asks a black bus driver for directions, and they misunderstand each other, it usually ends with both thinking the other is trying to dis them. Virtually anything can turn into an argument. Blacks just don't have appropriate ways of avoiding confrontation.
I believe the Boondocks called those 'Nigga Moments'

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 03:55 PM

Bent why do you care at all where I live or about my opinions; if you cannot stand a little criticism why do you read my posts.

meelk
Baninated
Mar 21, 2006, 04:05 PM

I've had more than one black person tell me they "didnt want help from whites" while trying to train them at work. Personally, I will take help from anyone and everyone while training for a new job. I've helped everyone regardless of ethnic background, religion, sexuality, etc. Granted this situation is the exception to the rule, but it does exist, and I have *never* seen it from any other ethnicity, its hard to understand.
I dont feel bad when people are later fired for not being able to do their job.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 04:08 PM

Bent why do you care at all where I live or about my opinions; if you cannot stand a little criticism why do you read my posts.
Why do I care? Because in 2000 - 2001 you took every chance you could to bash Canada on these boards and say you were moving to the US because it is better.

Since I can't help but notice you are still in Canada means you are either lazy or full of it.

Since you didn't answer the question AGAIN I assume it is both.

"Barwaraaawww"

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 04:14 PM

Bent it is none of your business why I am still here or not.

But, I have been trying, and there is this little thing called immigration and they have particular rules that you have to follow.

The reason why I want to leave this country is because of people like you who are full of hate, racist and unable to accept even the slightest criticism.

By the way this is an American board and I will criticized whoever and whatever and whenever I please. You do not have to read my posts and yours are so mean and Canadian that I will not read them, you are not worth it.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 04:18 PM

The reason why I want to leave this country is because of people like you who are full of hate, racist and unable to accept even the slightest criticism.
Let's be honest here. You never criticize slightly.

Edit: Generalize, either.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 04:23 PM

Bent it is none of your business why I am still here or not.

But, I have been trying, and there is this little thing called immigration and they have particular rules that you have to follow.

By the way this is an American board and I will criticized whoever and whatever and whenever I please. You do not have to read my posts and yours are so mean and Canadian that I will not read them, you are not worth it.
None of my business? You filled the boards for years with your HATE for Canada publicly over and over making it everyone's business.

Please show me one example of me being racist, full of hate and now accepting criticism. I live in the most culturally diverse city in the world.

"yours are so mean and Canadian'

You do realize YOU are the racist one but to the country you live in First that comment and your last one about French Canadians. Sounds like you are trying to run away from yourself. If you think the US is LESS racist you are in for one hell of a surprise.

I also don't see how I am making you want to leave? You're on the other side of the country and don't even know me, I never talk to you or reply to your posts (except for today) who know I held such power.

What difference does it make that "This is an American Board"?

Here is my view based on your comments. You bitched about Canada because you couldn't get a job here and think it will be different in the US. Problem is the US doesn't want you either as you have no work skills.

So looks like you will be unemployed and miserable in your current situation until you start to take responsibility for yourself and stop blaming all YOUR problems on your country.
( Last edited by I Bent My Wookiee; Mar 21, 2006 at 04:32 PM. )

"Barwaraaawww"

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
aye, monique, décalisse de cte crisse de province là pis ramène ton cul icitte.
Absolutely painfull.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

volcano
Senior User
Mar 21, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
Have you seen the comments at the bottom of that page? They're worse than the video, and I can't understand most of it.

"datz wutz popp3n"

... huh?

spindler
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2006, 04:40 PM

I've lived and worked with average black people and not speaking English well is the very least of their problems. I think they put in more effort to get through life than you would think, looking at their results, but they do everything in a half ass way.

When raising their kids, they don't understand that yelling and negativity doesn't work. They just are not aware that you have to gently break a child of their natural instincts to do what they want.

And blacks are generally just not curious or interested in learning, most likely because when they were little kids their parents didn't encourage it but rather yelled at them if it got in the way. I've been on the job with them, and if the conversation gets to a level of detail above them, or you try to teach them something they don't immediately get, they just kinda tune out. They figure there's some easier way to do it, and the more complicated stuff just doesn't apply to them.

So I don't take it too seriously when blacks are racist against whites, or don't speak English well. The main problem is that theya re just unaware of the basic rules. And black chuches and people like Jesse Jackson have to be the lowest. They see blacks misbehaving, yet won't offer them or tell them about the basic rules to follow.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by spindler
And blacks are generally just not curious or interested in learning
I'm not so sure repeatedly calling them "Blacks" is helping your point any.

"Barwaraaawww"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2006, 05:31 PM

AWWWWWWWWW CRAP!!!!!111!!1

I speak for everyone in the US when I say, CANADA, YOU CAN KEEP HER!

And yes, this is part of an old speech.
And yes, he hits the nail on the head.
Yo.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 05:37 PM

My problem with this is that Bill is part of the elite class. He donates money to big-name Universities that cost $15,000 in tuition. His heart is in the right place, but he is coming at it from the perspective of the very rich trying to help the poor.

I'm not suggesting that we should offer free handouts necessarily, but just that it is hard for hard-working black people living in poverty to afford these sorts of opportunities.

Why are they poor? That gets into a lengthy conversation, but my main point here is that it is hard to make it from poverty, and hard for others to understand what it means to live in poverty.

Katrina was a good example. Lots of people said "why didn't they just drive out of New Orleans?" well, because many didn't have cars.

Gets into complicated stuff, and please don't jump on me by trying to aggressively rip apart what I've said like some wild rabid dog, I'm not making any real assertions here other than just recognizing the complexity of the whole situation, and perhaps poking some holes in some of what Bill Cosby has said.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2006, 05:43 PM

Maybe you should read-up on Cosby's past.

/Just sayin'
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

SVass
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2006, 05:52 PM

Back to the original topic: How can some complain about mispronunciation and then vote for our current president? NOO-CUE-LAR
sam

meelk
Baninated
Mar 21, 2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
My problem with this is that Bill is part of the elite class. He donates money to big-name Universities that cost $15,000 in tuition. His heart is in the right place, but he is coming at it from the perspective of the very rich trying to help the poor.
Bill didnt start out Rich. He dropped out in 10th grade, got a GED, joined the Navy, worked as a bartender, etc before going into comedy and having a long road to success. Your statements are meaningless because Bill is exactly what he wants blacks who have no motivation to be.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2006, 07:15 PM

I'm not suggesting that we should offer free handouts necessarily, but just that it is hard for hard-working black people living in poverty to afford these sorts of opportunities.
I don't know about that. Simply mention you're a minority at my university and you're almost guarenteed a full ride on their "multicultural" scholarship. While my high test scores earned me $0 in scholarhips.
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 07:19 PM

BS. I worked and borrowed my way through college. There are plenty of grants and scholarships available. There are even more available to you if you are poor (Pell Grants, etc). If you want a degree, you can get one. Money is not an issue.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 07:34 PM

And there are even more scholarships available if you belong to a minority group. When I used to look for scholarships, it would piss me off how many I wasn't elligible for because I'm white.
Chuck
___

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
AWWWWWWWWW CRAP!!!!!111!!1

I speak for everyone in the US when I say, CANADA, YOU CAN KEEP HER!

And yes, this is part of an old speech.
And yes, he hits the nail on the head.
Yo.
Uh, sorry RAILhead. I think you speak for SOME Americans.

And now that we all agree that black America has some issues to deal with and we all recognize that it is easy to see OTHER'S flaws...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ighlight=Bowie

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...highlight=Coke

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...+gets+arrested

why don't we now check out our OWN reactions to suggestions that WE might need to address some issues.

Hypocrites, anyone?

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 07:45 PM

And, to answer your question, besson3c, YES! I agree with Bill Cosby.

And a big to you for asking the question!

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 07:51 PM

I've thought about this some more, and I think that what Cosby is doing is constructive. He doesn't need to be perfect himself or be in the best place to single-handedly change things necessarily, as his leadership in simply identifying the problem is valuable.

Besides, I'm not really privy to Cosby's history.

Regarding the ease of blacks getting into school and scholarships and whatnot, I think part of the problem is that these particualr blacks don't even think that this is an option early on, just think education is not for them, and therefore don't even try.

Just a wild theory.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 07:59 PM

Regarding the ease of blacks getting into school and scholarships and whatnot, I think part of the problem is that these particualr blacks don't even think that this is an option early on, just think education is not for them, and therefore don't even try.

Just a wild theory.
I think the attitude of the community is a large factor. Do you remember recently that Tony Dungy's son, James, recently killed himself? Part of his struggle was that he was ridiculed within the local black community because of his father's success, which they said made him more white (or that he had to act white in order to be successful - it was something nutty). Yes, you read that part right - they ridiculed his father's success.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 08:09 PM

I'm amazed SWG remembers someone from 2001...

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I'm amazed SWG remembers someone from 2001...

Are you Cash?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2006, 08:24 PM

Is anyone who's posted in this thread actually a black person living in America?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2006, 08:29 PM

Well, technically the original post was partially by Bill Cosby…
Chuck
___

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 08:30 PM

I've thought about this some more, and I think that what Cosby is doing is constructive. He doesn't need to be perfect himself or be in the best place to single-handedly change things necessarily, as his leadership in simply identifying the problem is valuable.

Besides, I'm not really privy to Cosby's history.

Just a wild theory.
I'd agree. And furthermore, the idea of adopting the perceived "white" value system is discredited early on by those who mistake the real road to happiness.

Their rejection of the "white" value system is where the main problem starts.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Is anyone who's posted in this thread actually a black person living in America?
Ahm is!

Forum Links
Forum Rules