Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Putin, Ukraine, and Air Raid Drills

Putin, Ukraine, and Air Raid Drills (Page 4)
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2022, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
So he’s human. How’s that a story?
It’s not a story, it was a joke.

Rough crowd tonight.

OreoCookie
Nov 17, 2022, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

Rough crowd tonight.
Sorry, my comment was meant in support of your earlier comment (“You lost me.”).

Do you have an idea what the link to the Fauci story was about?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2022, 09:48 PM

No.

I’m trying to put it in the context of what I said.

Single frame of Biden holding a finger above his lip in thought. Internet falsely says he’s digging for gold. Okay, got it.

Single frame of Fauci smiling about his new boss. Internet correctly says he’s smiling about his new boss.

I’m clever enough to see the similarities, but not so much I can draw a conclusion.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2022, 10:00 PM

Along the lines of what I think we’re talking about, I love this clip here…

When I first saw this it looked so damn much to me like Bannon is recoiling in horror, but the mundane reality is he’s taking out his reading glasses.

OreoCookie
Nov 17, 2022, 11:15 PM

Along the lines of what I think we’re talking about, I love this clip here…

When I first saw this it looked so damn much to me like Bannon is recoiling in horror, but the mundane reality is he’s taking out his reading glasses.
Yeah, good catch.
A lot of the clips that are floating out there and that are supposed to show that e. g. Joe Biden is senile or some such are not just taken out of context, but also fake.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2022, 06:02 AM

Laminar got it right… it looks like he’s picking his nose.

I don’t get what follows about the Internet and the Fauci story.
„Still photos do not necessarily represent what actually happened.“

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2022, 08:21 AM

What was really happening in the Fauci photo?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 18, 2022, 09:45 AM

What was really happening in the Fauci photo?
You could very likely have captured a photo of him smiling under Trump and frowning under Biden. They're picking still frames to support a narrative they want to be true.

The same thing happened at the inaugurations - they showed photos of presidents at their own inauguration very solemn, feeling the weight of the upcoming term. That was contrasted with photos of those same people at the inauguration of their successor, smiling, laughing, happy the burden is gone. Supporting a narrative. You could easily pick still photos to support the opposite.

They showed photos of Barack and Michelle close and holding hands and feeling loving, and those were contrasted with Melania looking cold and distant.

You could take two photos of the same event and put one on CNN and the other on Fox News, talking about what a cold, uncaring relationship the enemy president has with his wife.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 18, 2022, 09:50 AM

Rough crowd tonight.
Maybe people are just tired of substance-free fake news attacks on presidents, so an "LOL BOOGERS" joke isn't going to land.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2022, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
You could very likely have captured a photo of him smiling under Trump and frowning under Biden. They're picking still frames to support a narrative they want to be true.
There are quotes from him, in the article, where he’s says why he’s happy.

Now I guess it’s my turn to mention this example is a really roundabout way to make your point.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2022, 01:09 PM

Now I guess it’s my turn to mention this example is a really roundabout way to make your point.
"Partisan news sources can pick and choose still photos to drive the narrative they want, here are two examples" seems pretty straightforward to me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2022, 03:58 PM

To me, there is a self-evident distinction between examples where the narrative being driven exactly matches reality (Fauci) versus examples where the narrative being driven is unambiguously false (Biden).

Likewise, if one wishes to demonstrate the perils of this practice, to me, the latter self-evidently better serves the purpose. In fact, the latter serves the purpose so well, and the former so poorly, the decision to choose the former might lead the audience to think the perils aren’t the point.

Of course, I would like to reiterate I wasn’t pushing a narrative, but making a booger joke.
( Last edited by subego; Nov 18, 2022 at 05:36 PM. )

OreoCookie
Nov 18, 2022, 08:29 PM

The same thing happened at the inaugurations - they showed photos of presidents at their own inauguration very solemn, feeling the weight of the upcoming term. That was contrasted with photos of those same people at the inauguration of their successor, smiling, laughing, happy the burden is gone. Supporting a narrative. You could easily pick still photos to support the opposite.
I think those are two slightly different issues: the first issue is to choose an ambiguous photo that suggests something happened that did not actually happen. A similar category are photos that make the subject look particularly good or bad — you can take you favorite actor/actress/top model, film them and find frames where they look ridiculous and perhaps even ugly. (You can see tons of “halo photos” where some circular lighting source looks like a halo.)

The second is that pictures in publications are chosen to reflect and set the mood and tone of the article. I think the two inauguration photos are a good example: generally, we know that the Obama’s have a much closer and more loving relationship than the Trumps. Also, from what we know, Melania was not happy that Trump won the election. So the first picture represents this difference in relationships between the two presidential couples. You could object that my characterization is not accurate, but as a technique to reinforce the message of the story, I don’t find that objectionable or manipulative. That’s how images are used, and why we often say that an image says more than 1,000 words.

As always there are cases which are borderline. But as a rule of thumb, if the photos mainly support the story, then your objection is likely with the narrative in the story rather than the picture. If the photo becomes the story, you really need to be careful. There are a few cases where photos are the story, e. g. Melania’s “I don’t care. Do you?” coat, which she wore on a visit to a facility for children who have crossed the border; or George W. Bush’s “Mission Accomplished” photo. In both of these cases, the subject chose the narrative: it is not as if all of Melania’s other coats were at the dry cleaners that day and she only had one that made her look like a giant butthole. Ditto for President “Mission Accomplished”, ultimately that was President Bush’s choice.

OreoCookie
Nov 18, 2022, 08:35 PM

To me, there is a self-evident distinction between examples where the narrative being driven exactly matches reality (Fauci) versus examples where the narrative being driven is unambiguously false (Biden).
Right.
I think it is still ok if I weaken your point and just require that the photo matches the narrative of the story. You are free to disagree with the photo, but if it is merely a reflection of the story, you actually just disagree with the story.
Likewise, if one wishes to demonstrate the perils of this practice, to me, the latter self-evidently better serves the purpose. In fact, the latter serves the purpose so well, and the former so poorly, the decision to choose the former might lead the audience to think the perils aren’t the point.
In a way, what you describe, I think, is how much substance a story has. If it is just a mood piece with little substance, a few pictures can puff it up, but they cannot disguise if the lack of substance of a story.
Of course, I would like to reiterate I wasn’t pushing a narrative, but making a booger joke.
I think jokes can be an exception, too. As usual, good jokes are often edgy and rely on exaggeration and a bit of distortion. Ultimately, though, Biden picking a booger out of his nose isn’t a very good joke in isolation. (At least to me, your taste may vary.)

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2022, 10:50 AM

I agree nose picking isn’t funny in isolation.

Much funnier when done in front of world leaders… hey-ooooooooo!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2022, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Also, from what we know, Melania was not happy that Trump won the election.
I'm fascinated in an actual source for this. It was definitely a narrative that was going around, "She never wanted to be First Lady." Is there anything out there other than media conjecture that actually supports this?

OreoCookie
Nov 21, 2022, 10:54 PM

I'm fascinated in an actual source for this. It was definitely a narrative that was going around, "She never wanted to be First Lady." Is there anything out there other than media conjecture that actually supports this?
I looked back and it seems the main source is Michael Wolff, and his claims have been repeated by reputable news outlets. I’m not sure whether they have done independent fact checking. I definitely remember this story, but since the Trump Presidency has overloaded my brain, I cannot recall whether other people have done independent reporting on it.

However, I find this is consistent with reporting now that Melania Trump doesn’t want his husband to run again in 2024. During her four years as First Lady I never got the impression she liked her duties and the expectations, but that’s of course subjective. And it is also how I e. g. interpreted her “I don’t care” coat: it wasn’t directed at the kids in the detention centers, but I thought it was aimed at an audience of one, her husband. Perhaps she didn’t want to do what was expected of her as a First Lady that day, her husband told her she had to/, and this was her way of showing it?

Thorzdad
May 6, 2023, 07:34 AM

Apparently, Russia carpeted phosphorus bombs on Bakhmut yesterday.

OreoCookie
May 6, 2023, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Apparently, Russia carpeted phosphorus bombs on Bakhmut yesterday.
The Wagner group is apparently too lazy to carry unused ammo back home. Better waste everything on a meaningless target.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2023, 04:13 PM

It's surprising this thread has languished.

Ukraine's spring summer counter-offensive made only grinding progress, as Russia used mines and large numbers of troops to stop Ukraine bullets. Large numbers of tanks were also used to intercept Ukraine artillery.

The Wagner group was decapitated in a mysterious plane crash - Putin's people swear it was an accident.

Kherson landings across the Dnieper River appear to have begun as a distraction, intended to draw Russian forces away from the Zaporizhzhia front. The Russians didn't bite - and Ukraine's landings gradually turned into a real bridgehead. It may yet turn into a run on Crimea - local Russian forces have been trying (and failing) to stop it for a couple months now.

In the meantime, Russia launched a major attack on Avdiivka, a heavily-fortified Ukrainian city. After a couple months, Russia lost 1/3 of the troops assigned, apparently a higher percentage of assigned vehicles (troops often have to walk to the front now), and the whole attack didn't achieve any real objectives. The Avdiivka attack looks to be petering out.
------------
But wait - Putin may win after all. Ukraine is almost out of ammo, and further US aid is tied up in Congress. While Dems want to approve more aid, Reps are trying to extract US border concessions in exchange for aid to Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan. So far, Ukr, Israel, and Taiwan are all getting screwed, because stopping Latin immigrants who seek a better life is more important than the defense of Democracy.

Europe could step in, but as usual, is behind on scaling up ammo production. They're doing plenty, but artillery and small-arms ammo are notably short.

Pres Biden has offered to make border concessions (specifics unclear) while Reps seem to want to curtail Presidential authority to grant asylum and/or parole. It's all unclear, because the participants don't seem to be discussing specifics. But border money is already on the table, and money is apparently not enough - so it appears Reps want to reduce Presidential authority. I'm sure any authority given up would be promptly restored if Trump or Haley win in 2024.

In the meantime, Russian propaganda news is already congratulating McConnell "well done Gramps!" for limiting Ukraine aid. It's odd that propagandists are telling the truth (on one item) while elected representatives are beating around the bush. Get it done, guys.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2023, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Ukraine is almost out of ammo, and further US aid is tied up in Congress.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_America_(airline)

Sell drugs, buy ammo. It’s a story as old as time.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 13, 2023, 05:22 PM

I don't believe Air America is available today. Also, they'd have trouble with ammo delivery at this scale. Ukraine seems to need at least a million more 155mm artillery shells, and upwards of 100M restock of small arms ammo. Probably more.

If you've seen recent videos, those forests in Ukraine get blasted manually in most cases. It takes more than a couple shots to ventilate each tree. On the plus side, there will be lots of fertilizer to help the trees grow back in the future. Russian soldiers complain constantly about not being able to retrieve their bodies, and Ukraine troops in the fall took to calling Klishchiivka town as "Stinky". Ukraine took the high ground above it, making Klishchiivka a shooting gallery. Russian commanders were afraid to withdraw, for fear they'd be replaced. So Russians just kept being poured into the town. Sniper heaven.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2023, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I don't believe Air America is available today.
The practice lives on, and scale doesn’t matter if wallet is big enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules