Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Report: iPhone 7 poised to set sales records

Report: iPhone 7 poised to set sales records
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 1, 2016, 11:17 AM

While Apple is having a "tough compare" year with the iPhone 6s -- sales are healthy and even grew in the holiday quarter, but pent-up demand for larger-screened iPhones created a sales surge in 2015 that the 6s line has not matched in 2016 -- the 2017 fiscal iPhone sales year (which starts on October 1 of this year) looks bright and may well set records, according to BMO Capital Markets analyst Tim Long.

Contradicting some "doom" claims because current rumors predict the "iPhone 7" and "iPhone 7 Plus" to be largely (at least externally) similar to the existing iPhone 6s -- essentially another "tock" cycle before a rumored major redesign for the "iPhone 8" that will supplant the expected "iPhone 7s" in the 2018 fiscal year -- statistics compiled by Long and his team suggest the iPhone 7 may, like the iPhone 6, see a massive upgrade. This is due to the massively larger number of users, and how many of those users have iPhones that are approaching two years old or older.

Thanks to the strong sales of the iPhone 5s, the iPhone 6, and more recently the iPhone 6s -- along with mass changes in the US market to "pay as you go" plans that allow for more frequent upgrades -- the market of potential iPhone 7 buyers is larger than it has ever been. While iPhone sales saw their first-ever decline in the March quarter of this year, 25 percent of the installed user base -- about 120 million users -- will have two-year-old or older iPhones by the time the iPhone 7 comes out, Long reports.

Long's analysis for clients
Long's analysis for clients

According to Long's analysis, around 17 percent of iPhone users upgrade their iPhones immediately when a new model comes out and they are eligible to upgrade. The majority, 58 percent, upgrade within the first year, and 22 percent upgrade in the second year of the sales cycle of a new iPhone. Only two percent of users wait longer than two years to upgrade their iPhones. Thanks to the massive sales of the iPhone 6 line, the number of smartphones coming eligible for upgrades is higher than even the pool of those who were eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 6.

The graph also provides some insight into why iPhone 6s upgrading was less than the iPhone 6 cycle: by a slightly higher margin, more consumers upgrade on the "redesign" cycle (the iPhone 4, 5, 6, and upcoming 7 release years) than on the "s" cycle (the 4s, 5s, 6s). When the iPhone 6s came out, only 19 percent of iPhone users were eligible for upgrade at the time, compared to 23 percent for the iPhone 6, and an alleged 25 percent for the iPhone 7.

Long's analysis contradicts predictions from analysts like Ming-Chi Kuo, who have already said they expect the iPhone 7 to continue the sales decline due to a lack of visual differences from the iPhone 6s models, though there are suggestions that software and internal changes may foster a number of new features. Reports claiming that Apple has ordered more "iPhone 7" units from its suppliers than it made of the iPhone 6 has caused some analysts to become more optimistic.

Sales of iPhone by quarter
Sales of iPhone by quarter

Wells Fargo analyst Maynard Um, citing an (unconfirmed) Economic Daily News report from Taiwan that Apple is ordering between 72 million and 78 million units, predicts that around 15 million of those units could sell during the limited period of time the new iPhone models are available for pre-ordering and ordering prior to the end of the September quarter. This would imply that Apple expects to sell between 57 million and 63 million iPhone 7 units at Christmas, and when added to the other models, could well top 75 million units sold in the company's fiscal Q1, a new all-time record.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2016, 03:49 PM

My contract is up in September and I'll be going with whatever new big screen they come up with.

Vulpine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2016, 10:02 AM

Personally, I'm still not sure I need a big-screen iPhone, the only-slightly-larger 4.7" iPhone 6 doesn't comfortably fit in a button-closed shirt pocket and really doesn't do all that well in the pocket of your slacks if you keep anything else in that pocket at all. Cargo pants are ok but even then you need to shift it around to rest lengthwise to your leg so you're not trying to bend it to fit when you sit down. The iPhone SE is still the more ideal size, especially now if you wear an Apple Watch, meaning you almost never need to take the phone out of your pocket.

I'm waiting to see what sizes the new iPhones will take before I replace my 6. If it's just the 4.7" and 5.6" sizes, then I'm buying an SE as my next iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules