Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got my new 1ghz 12" !

Got my new 1ghz 12" !
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 02:14 AM

Went to the apple store tonight and picked it up. I returned my 12" 867 that I got about 9 days ago, because of a faulty arrow key, and the case separating. The new 12 is great. Just got done running the UT2003 Demo for over 20 minutes and the machine is as cool as ever. In case a few people weren't sure, the machine does come with the mini dvi to dvi adapter, as well as the mini dvi to vga. Also, the restore dvd says OS X 10.2.7 on it. I formated the machine as soon as I got it so I didnt look for sure. Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to ask away!

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 02:43 AM

Any battery life observations?

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 02:50 AM

Does it play Sim City 4 or Warcraft 3 well?
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 03:01 AM

Very nice, good switch! hehehe.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 28, 2003, 03:29 AM

I worked my first day at a computer store here on Friday, and we got like 20 12" 1ghz PBs that morning.

They were all spoken for. It sucks because my friend wants one so bad, and the waiting is killing him. I wanted to give him one so bad.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 03:56 AM

Can you partition with the Restore DVD?

Cheers.

Originally posted by cSurfr:
Went to the apple store tonight and picked it up. I returned my 12" 867 that I got about 9 days ago, because of a faulty arrow key, and the case separating. The new 12 is great. Just got done running the UT2003 Demo for over 20 minutes and the machine is as cool as ever. In case a few people weren't sure, the machine does come with the mini dvi to dvi adapter, as well as the mini dvi to vga. Also, the restore dvd says OS X 10.2.7 on it. I formated the machine as soon as I got it so I didnt look for sure. Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to ask away!

cs
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

im_noahselby
Senior User
Sep 28, 2003, 05:32 AM

cSurfr,

How is the screen compared to the 15" and 17" models? Does it still use the same screen the iBook uses?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

dennis88
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 05:39 AM

How does it handle games like unreal tournament2003?

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 05:50 AM

I will answer every one of those questions as I can.

How is the screen compared to the 15" and 17" models? Does it still use the same screen the iBook uses?

I believe the screen to be different as I think it's brighter than the iBook 600 I had a year or so ago. However, I think that the screen on my 867 12" was brighter than the one on my 1ghz. Maybe it's just me though.

Not sure, let me look into it.

Don't have SC4, but let me install WC3 and I will let you know. My 867 played WC3 fairly well I thought, so this one must be a little better.

Just got done playing this game, and it flies. I was running at 800x600 with everything maxxed. I don't know why the box says the 12" isn't supported. Even my 867 ran this game very well. In fact the guy I played with tonight was on an 12" 867, and he didn't have any problems.

I will try to answer the other questions as soon as possible (tomorrow)

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

dennis88
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 06:48 AM

I will answer every one of those questions as I can.

I believe the screen to be different as I think it's brighter than the iBook 600 I had a year or so ago. However, I think that the screen on my 867 12" was brighter than the one on my 1ghz. Maybe it's just me though.

Not sure, let me look into it.

Don't have SC4, but let me install WC3 and I will let you know. My 867 played WC3 fairly well I thought, so this one must be a little better.

Just got done playing this game, and it flies. I was running at 800x600 with everything maxxed. I don't know why the box says the 12" isn't supported. Even my 867 ran this game very well. In fact the guy I played with tonight was on an 12" 867, and he didn't have any problems.

I will try to answer the other questions as soon as possible (tomorrow)

cs
How many fps did you get in ut2k3?

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2003, 09:34 PM

Tell me the command to check, and i will let you know

sebaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2003, 09:54 PM

Does it get as hot as the previous 12 in?

What about case warping?

my 12 in. gets pretty toasty, and i have notice sum minimal case warpin

Nessie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by sebaz:
Does it get as hot as the previous 12 in?

What about case warping?

my 12 in. gets pretty toasty, and i have notice sum minimal case warpin
Yes, these are my concerns, too. Also, how is the noise level? Does the fan come on a lot, and if so, how loud is it?

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by Nessie:
Yes, these are my concerns, too. Also, how is the noise level? Does the fan come on a lot, and if so, how loud is it?

First off, this thing has YET to get hot at all, even charging the battery. YMMV, but for me it's very cool. Also, the fan only came on once so far, and that was while playing UT2003. Even then the machine wasn't any more warm that normal. My 867 was a smoker when it came to doing a lot of intensive tasks, this one doesn't seem to do that at all. Also, in response to all of the dead pixel posts i've read...I've had 2 new Albooks in the last week, neither of them had any dead or stuck pixels.

cs

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 02:44 AM

So you are saying that under the same types of conditions, the new 12" doesn't get nearly as warm or even hot as the "old" 12" model?

That's a significant point in swaying me to go with a PB instead of an iBook after all...

Cheers.

First off, this thing has YET to get hot at all, even charging the battery. YMMV, but for me it's very cool. Also, the fan only came on once so far, and that was while playing UT2003. Even then the machine wasn't any more warm that normal. My 867 was a smoker when it came to doing a lot of intensive tasks, this one doesn't seem to do that at all. Also, in response to all of the dead pixel posts i've read...I've had 2 new Albooks in the last week, neither of them had any dead or stuck pixels.

cs
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

x user
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 02:52 AM

From what I saw of the demo 1ghz down at the Apple store, the display is very similer to the iBook but with more contrast perhaps. The machine much faster than the 867 they had right next to it.

Like to know about the game performace myself, any stats on RTCW or others would be appreciated. Looking to pick mine up monday if I get the call .

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 03:42 AM

What about the Warcraft 3 performance?
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by CrackedButter:
I play SC4 on my 12" 867 and it runs a treat. Haven't installed the patch yet though.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 07:22 AM

Can you give me any more details on the performance on these 2 games. now that i have cancelled the 15" i might get the 12" instead and i want these 2 games, W3 i have but it runs crap on my iBook hence the desire for a powerbook.

videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 08:55 AM

mine arrives today, any info on battery life?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 08:59 AM

Sim City 4 runs just fine. Nice and smooth and I have no issues with it, and I have an original 867mhz 12" PB. I will be installing the patch though out of curiosity.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:12 AM

Is this with max settings as well? Its no use to me if you say it runs fine and you are not telling me you have to keep all the settings all at low.

dennis88
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 10:04 AM

What xbench score do you get?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 11:01 AM

Have you outputted to an Apple Display by chance? How's it look?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

celliott47
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 11:23 AM

Shipping Update:
I ordered my new 12" PowerBook on Monday, September 22 from the Apple store for education. Had an estimated shipping date of 10/1. I got a message on Friday, 9/26 that it had shipped and expected delivery date was Tues 9/30. Well, FedEx just rang my doorbell- new PB arrives 9/29, one week after I ordered it. Just starting to play with it.

FedEx is great!

dennis88
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by celliott47:
Shipping Update:
I ordered my new 12" PowerBook on Monday, September 22 from the Apple store for education. Had an estimated shipping date of 10/1. I got a message on Friday, 9/26 that it had shipped and expected delivery date was Tues 9/30. Well, FedEx just rang my doorbell- new PB arrives 9/29, one week after I ordered it. Just starting to play with it.

FedEx is great!
Congrats!

gh001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by dennis88:
Congrats!
Hi,

Has anyone tried Medal of Honor on the new PB 12�? I�m planning to buy a new PB 12�, and I just wonder how does the GeForce FX 5200Go handle it?

Thanks
G-Man

xGrape
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 02:47 PM

Ordered mine only a couple hours after the release (AppleStore Europe), and today they told me it would ship this week, and to allow a further 4-7 days for shipment. I added a larger hard drive and some more ram though...

Can't wait to try UT2003, if it runs as good as people say. Cos it sucks on my flat-screen iMac.

dennis88
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by xGrape:
Ordered mine only a couple hours after the release (AppleStore Europe), and today they told me it would ship this week, and to allow a further 4-7 days for shipment. I added a larger hard drive and some more ram though...

Can't wait to try UT2003, if it runs as good as people say. Cos it sucks on my flat-screen iMac.
I wouldn't expect too much of the 12" when it comes to gaming.

Gratulerer med ny powerbook! (in norwegian)

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2003, 05:25 PM

Here are the xbench scores:

Score - 104.09
CPU - 91.32
Quartz graphics - 116.14
OpenGL - 83.27 @ 58 FPS

These are what i would imagine you would all want. This was run on a stock 1ghz with 256mb. Also running 10.3 (7B80)

Good or Bad ?

cs

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 05:28 PM

I've heard Panther is so much more optimized than Jaguar, that XBennch scores are substantially higher than when performed in Jaguar.

Just something to keep in mind.

But still... The numbers do look good. And considering X.3 is right around the corner....

Forum Links
Forum Rules