Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Democrat "democracy" in Texas -- Not.

Democrat "democracy" in Texas -- Not.
finboy
Mar 4, 2008, 06:04 PM

I thought I'd share my primary voting experience with everyone, since we always hear about how the modern Democrat party is the party of representation and voting fairness and access.

In Texas, primaries are open to whoever wants to vote, regardless of affiliation. In fact, my voter registration card doesn't have affiliation on it anywhere. So we went this morning to vote for Hillary (because it may be our last chance to do so, you see).

Actually, if anyone asks I'll tell them I voted for Obama, so they'll think I'm open-minded and progressive, and definitely not a racist. That's what Wolf wants me to do, anyway.

Anyhoo, we get there and this polling place is Democrat-only (some are doubled up) and the parking lot is full of big old SUVs. Surprising -- I thought Democrats were all about the environment. Not this bunch I guess.

A nice young lady gives us some literature explaining the process (she was a Hillary worker). We vote during the day, and then we're supposed to come back tonight and "caucus." What a freaking joke. She tells us that our vote counts "3/4" of the decision (the popular vote, that is) but that we have to come back and caucus to make sure our voice is heard.

So we go in and vote (without ever having to show ID, I might add). There is one electronic machine with a big line behind it, and everyone else gets a paper ballot. Most candidates are unopposed for the nominations.

So I voted in the primary, but now someone can come behind me and "caucus" and nullify my vote. Nice. Isn't that what democracy is all about? One man one vote, etc. So much for the party of "inclusion."

At least I got to vote for Hillary Clinton. Probably the one and only time I'll get a chance too. Ain't I progressive and forward-thinking?

Wait, I really voted for Obama. I'm all about that hope and change stuff, and all those other rhetoricals he uses. Best speaker since Will Rogers, that guy.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2008, 06:08 PM

Completely open primary? Sounds crazy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2008, 06:15 PM

It depends on the general demographic of your area. Your particular area might be strongly democratic, so you'll see a large push for the Democratic vote at polling stations.

It's nothing new. If you were in California and live in Sacramento, after going to the polling station you'd 'think you just entered a RNC fund raiser.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2008, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Actually, if anyone asks I'll tell them I voted for Obama, so they'll think I'm open-minded and progressive, and definitely not a racist.
The only way I can parse this is that you are telling us you are a racist, and you're ashamed of it, otherwise there's no reason to mention it out of the blue. Is that it?

Anyhoo, we get there and this polling place is Democrat-only (some are doubled up) and the parking lot is full of big old SUVs. Surprising -- I thought Democrats were all about the environment. Not this bunch I guess.
...Or they're mostly under-cover Party crashers like you.

So I voted in the primary, but now someone can come behind me and "caucus" and nullify my vote. Nice.
And you could caucus too if you really cared. Unless of course you're misrepresenting yourself by voting in the other party's primary to try to help sabotage them, and you wouldn't be able to maintain your façade in a caucus situation...

Boo hoo for you

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Completely open primary? Sounds crazy.
Why?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2008, 08:20 PM

I'm not really sure I see the problem here. It seems to me that your problem is with the mixed primary/caucus system, but the only explanation of why that I can see is that you don't like the idea that people other than you might have a say? Or do you just not like caucuses? Or what? I'm confused.

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 09:42 PM

Here's what I see:
Originally Posted by finboy
...since we always hear about how the modern Democrat party is the party of representation and voting fairness and access.
... I thought Democrats were all about the environment. Not this bunch I guess.
... Isn't that what democracy is all about? One man one vote, etc. So much for the party of "inclusion."
( Last edited by tie; Mar 4, 2008 at 10:02 PM. )
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2008, 09:54 PM

Having a primary and a caucus is really weird, I don't understand why they do it.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 11:04 PM

Having an electoral college where a voter in one state has more power than a voter in another state has never made sense to me either. Our voting systems are too "clever"... I tend to support simple over clever.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 11:54 PM

Hillary’s Math Problem

Hillary’s Math Problem | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

Hillary Clinton may be poised for a big night tonight, with wins in Ohio, Texas and Rhode Island. Clinton aides say this will be the beginning of her comeback against Barack Obama. There's only one problem with this analysis: they can't count.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2008, 12:47 AM

Uhhh... as of 10:46 she hasn't "won" Texas. Most of the caucuses are just finishing up, so it's gonna be a little while before the dust settles.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 5, 2008, 12:56 AM

So with all the talk about change in Obama's speech today I was wondering why he didn't
mention the problem with illegal immigration in Texas and how he will help to "change" that.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2008, 01:00 AM

It's a pretty sore point with us Texans... and neither Hillary or Obama wanted to risk getting the hispanic folks all up in a tizzy. They were the swing vote.

I am sure the closer we get to November the tune will change. That being said, it seems like our leaders more focused on being PC rather than actually fixing the problem.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 5, 2008, 01:26 AM

Force fields. We need force fields. =)

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2008, 02:10 AM

Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2008, 03:28 AM

Something fishy with the popular votes in Texas. About 90% Precincts reporting.

Hillary - 1,352,423
Obama - 1,251,043

McCain - 677,469
Huckabee - 496,868

Obama's popular vote is more than McCain and Hunkabee combined. Didn't realize Texas has twice as many Democrats as Republicans. Who knew?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2008, 03:39 AM

No reason for Republicans to come out en masse to affect what is already a foregone conclusion. And many Republicans who came out probably voted Dem to put the screws to them, as Rush requested.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

finboy  (op)
Mar 5, 2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
The only way I can parse this is that you are telling us you are a racist, and you're ashamed of it, otherwise there's no reason to mention it out of the blue. Is that it?

No, you can parse it as "the insinuation from the major media is that anyone (esp. a Democrat) who won't vote for Obama (or criticizes him in any way) must be a racist." Pull out your Websters and look up "sarcasm" or "intellect".

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2008, 01:53 PM

Why don't you try looking up "strawman" while you're in there.

finboy  (op)
Mar 5, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I'm not really sure I see the problem here. It seems to me that your problem is with the mixed primary/caucus system, but the only explanation of why that I can see is that you don't like the idea that people other than you might have a say? Or do you just not like caucuses? Or what? I'm confused.
How about everyone votes in a primary and THAT'S IT. Then, we take the votes and count them and that's who wins. Instead, Texas Democrats have evolved a system wherein they can end up swaying it with just a few loud voices. That's the problem I have with it. If they just want a way to swing votes, let them dispense with the pretense of the caucus system. It is flawed.

Before someone says "hypothetical," I have two friends/colleagues of mine (separately) who were dreading yesterday and today look like they're dead, precinct "captains" who had seen the caucus rigging in action before (and voter fraud too, but that's nothing new). They report this morning that it was the same old story.

As for the other: I am appalled that anyone would suggest that I "switched" to vote for Hillary. I'm a good old fashioned independent, so I can and will vote for whoever needs voting for. In this case, it looked like Hillary needed it worst. (She always looks like she needs it.)

But, again, if anyone asks, I voted for Barack Obama, since that's the only PC thing to say. I don't want anyone to accuse me of racism or anything like that.

finboy  (op)
Mar 5, 2008, 01:58 PM

Why don't you try looking up "strawman" while you're in there.
You mean this?

Starman (1984)

I think that chick from the first Indy movie was in that.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2008, 02:46 PM

So someone in your life did something that you interpret to be an indirect accusation of racism, and you in turn run off to the internet to passive-aggressively whine about it while refusing to name the party or action that wound you up in the first place, instead of confronting them directly. Is Texas really this emo?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Why?
Guess I'm cross posting now. Open Primaries allow "raiding" from other parties, where the opposition pushes votes in for the weaker candidate. There has been historic precedence for it. Just recently Rush Limbaugh, for example, was telling Republicans in Open Primary states to vote for Mrs. Clinton because he thinks John McCain can win against her.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

finboy  (op)
Mar 6, 2008, 12:29 AM

So someone in your life did something that you interpret to be an indirect accusation of racism, and you in turn run off to the internet to passive-aggressively whine about it while refusing to name the party or action that wound you up in the first place, instead of confronting them directly. Is Texas really this emo?
Thanks for the eval. Alternatively, I thought I'd share a first-person perspective on how the system here doesn't really work -- oops, our hour is up. Next week same time?

Forum Links
Forum Rules