Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Max Themes in the new MacAddict!

Max Themes in the new MacAddict!
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2003, 06:19 PM

Max, congrats on the plug in the newest macaddict. I don't believe this was posted before. Anyway, The new issue talks about the 100 Best Freebies, and Themes for X was one of them. They mention Duality as the best theme changing program, and Max's themes as some of the many out there. Congrats to max for being mentioned, I guess all of that hard work will pay off. Make sure you all get the themes you want for him now, as i'm sure that his page is going to have a lof of traffic now.

cS

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2003, 06:42 PM

Sweet! Themes going mainstream. Maybe it will help get themes in Panther?
click one

ambush
Banned
Jun 5, 2003, 06:59 PM

Congrats Max!

Who else did they mention? i'm pretty surprised they did not mention Swiz

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 5, 2003, 07:01 PM

Thanks

I got the article emailed to me so I could read it. It's nice that they mention themes, but I think they could have gone a little further and present more themes and have more screenshots of them.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2003, 10:48 PM

OOh! Max, you're famous! Can I have your autograph?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2003, 11:17 PM

Cool, congrats, Max! That's cool beans -- there's an article about it? MacWorld UK put my icons on one of their monthly discs recently. IconBox was supposed to be on this month's MacAddict. Yay, the fame.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2003, 12:08 AM

Woot! Exellent Max! You should be proud of yourself - well done

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2003, 10:26 AM

Congrats!

macmike42
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 08:04 PM

Finally, after Apple ripping off Max's designs left and right, he gets some much-needed public props!
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 6, 2003, 08:07 PM

Good job Max.

You deserve some recognition for all your time spent.

Originally posted by macmike42:
Finally, after Apple ripping off Max's designs left and right, he gets some much-needed public props!
Yeah Apple has been ripping off Max!!

Come on...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2003, 08:11 PM

Like what designs? [/genuinely curious]

macmike42
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 09:28 PM

That was whatchacallit...humor (Zimph got it, probably on more levels than meant it...no offense Zimphire...)

Sorry if it wasn't funny... ...long day.

(oh and the fact that Max came out with sunken widgets first...which i think might actually be true...)
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 7, 2003, 01:30 PM

(oh and the fact that Max came out with sunken widgets first...which i think might actually be true...)
Except for the fact Apple was starting to sink their widgets before that. Max just changed what was obvious.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. There isn't. But it's hardly Apple copying.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2003, 03:12 PM

Al jokes aside, I hope nobody is implying that Max is 'ripping off' off Apple... he's evangelizing, spreading the good word - his stuff strengthens Apple's message rather than bastardize it.
I've said it before - Max is like a GUI superstarDJ, remixing Apple culture and imagery with such a high level of detail and consistency that you'd think the end result came straight from Apple (or should have in any case). He's got a great eye and is pumping out stuff people love because it's so good it might as well have come from the mothership. He definitely deserves kudos even though is designs are derived from/inspired by Apple's.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2003, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Al jokes aside, I hope nobody is implying that Max is 'ripping off' off Apple... he's evangelizing, spreading the good word - his stuff strengthens Apple's message rather than bastardize it.
I've said it before - Max is like a GUI superstarDJ, remixing Apple culture and imagery with such a high level of detail and consistency that you'd think the end result came straight from Apple (or should have in any case). He's got a great eye and is pumping out stuff people love because it's so good it might as well have come from the mothership. He definitely deserves kudos even though is designs are derived from/inspired by Apple's.
Very well said. That's exactly right.

quandarry
Jun 7, 2003, 03:19 PM

congrats max...

you, IZA and butt o'sigh are inovators that us tinkerers aspire to...ok, don't get a big head!
os9 has sunken window widgets for cripes sake...they sure aren't floating or sitting on top of the titlebar...zillians of k schemes and pc themes for windows have sunken widgets that go waaaaay back...i think Gawd initially made them when he pushed the sunken button that set off the BIG bang...i think He has the copyright so i hope you'all are giving at the basket...

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 7, 2003, 07:09 PM

Nope not at all. I don't think there is any ripping off going on, on either side. I don't think Max is ripping off Apple, or Apple ripping off Max.

Anyone that claims either one is silly.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 10:40 PM

Congrats Max...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 12:58 AM

lol ya, he doesn't have many original themes, but he sure improves upon Apple's work. Hell I'll never use Aqua with stripes again. (if I ever use aqua again) keep up the good work Max.
click one

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 8, 2003, 12:57 PM

Again, thanks for all the congrats
I really appreciate it!

swiz
GUI Punk
Jun 15, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Congrats Max!

Who else did they mention? i'm pretty surprised they did not mention Swiz

First of all, yes congratulations Max, well deserved.

At first I though hmm, they probably had limited space for mentioning theme devs or maybe they mentioned Izawa and some others who are elite as well instead of my themes. When I finally saw the new Mac Addict with this mention in it and saw the other themes (aside from Underling because it is nice) they mentioned I was blown away. The others that they mentioned are abhoritions of quality themes. Either this was a poorly researched topic for the contributor of this article or... I dont know what else could be the reason. They could have picked from any of a handful of developers who would be more deserving than those they did.

That aside, at least they did mention Max who will represent well for theme dev on OSX. If they hadnt mentioned him and just those others, we would be bombarded yet again with how ugly and poor themes are and what a waste of time they are.

Heres to lazy and/or laxadazical article research.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2003, 05:15 AM

Not trying to hijack this thread or anything but could anyone confirm that IconBox is on this months MacAddict disc? And if so, what version? If I know it is on there I can go start looking for a magazine import shop. Thanks.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 16, 2003, 12:00 PM

In other news, the godzilla, mothra, and king kong sets make their debut on Swiz's site. Many theming fans baffled by his unorthodox approach but he says one thing, "everyone likes monsters!"

swiz
GUI Punk
Jun 16, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by ApeInTheShell:
In other news, the godzilla, mothra, and king kong sets make their debut on Swiz's site. Many theming fans baffled by his unorthodox approach but he says one thing, "everyone likes monsters!"
So true.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

quandarry
Jun 17, 2003, 07:27 PM

i read somewhere...ResEx i think...that the article mentioned "pillowtalk" i think it's called...

well it's a well made theme technically and the author knew what he/she was doing....but i don't think anyone would ever use it...ever!

it may be a good choice for beginners to take apart and rebuild it into a new theme...for practise...

i hope they didn't mention this one..."pastel"...heh...

Forum Links
Forum Rules