Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > XBox 360 on Macbook Pro

XBox 360 on Macbook Pro
Masters2010
Jan 22, 2007, 10:49 AM

I just got an xbox 360, and I want to play it on my Macbook Pro and or my 20" cinema display. This is because I'm at a boarding high school and we aren't allowed a TV, so I'm stuck playing it through my computer. I was thinking about buying a small flatscreen TV and just saying it's a computer monitor, but I think it would be expensive than the computer option.

So far, I've heard of two options for doing this, and I really don't know which is better. First is the X2VGA 2. In this option, I believe I just need the box, 60 plus shipping, and a DVI-VGA converter, which I may already have. I've heard good things about this, I'm just hesitant because I feel like there is more to it than I know.

The other option using the eyeTV Hybrid which just connects through the USB port then directly to the xbox. I've heard that this system has lots of lag and makes it unplayable, and I've also heard that the hybrid works well for games, just the others don't. This is 150 compared to the other, but I'm not sure it would suit me better.

Any help is appreciated, I'm really stuck on this one.

Thanks,
Patrick

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2007, 12:34 PM

I have the EyeTV hybrid, and bought it for a similar purpose. But I don't currently have any game systems to test it on to see if I notice a lag. Their claim is you can play the games and won't notice any lag. In practice I'm still skeptical (but like the TV/PVR ability and HD over-the-air reception).

If I get a chance I'll try and post back with any possible results (maybe running my ibook with a game and VGA in through the hybrid to see if I notice any delays with that).

Originally Posted by Masters2010 View Post
I just got an xbox 360, and I want to play it on my Macbook Pro and or my 20" cinema display. This is because I'm at a boarding high school and we aren't allowed a TV, so I'm stuck playing it through my computer. I was thinking about buying a small flatscreen TV and just saying it's a computer monitor, but I think it would be expensive than the computer option.

So far, I've heard of two options for doing this, and I really don't know which is better. First is the X2VGA 2. In this option, I believe I just need the box, 60 plus shipping, and a DVI-VGA converter, which I may already have. I've heard good things about this, I'm just hesitant because I feel like there is more to it than I know.

The other option using the eyeTV Hybrid which just connects through the USB port then directly to the xbox. I've heard that this system has lots of lag and makes it unplayable, and I've also heard that the hybrid works well for games, just the others don't. This is 150 compared to the other, but I'm not sure it would suit me better.

Any help is appreciated, I'm really stuck on this one.

Thanks,
Patrick

Masters2010  (op)
Jan 22, 2007, 10:47 PM

Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable Review (Xbox 360)

Is that also a good idea? How do you get audio if you simply want the audio coming out of the computer speakers or do you need an extra set of speakers in this case?

jaydon34
Senior User
Jan 22, 2007, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Masters2010 View Post
Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable Review (Xbox 360)

Is that also a good idea? How do you get audio if you simply want the audio coming out of the computer speakers or do you need an extra set of speakers in this case?
I currently use this setup. You can run the vga adapters audio-output into the line-input of a computer. I also use an optional kvm switch that allows me to switch back and forth between the computer and the 360. NOTE This is my secondary setup I usually play on my hdtv but this comes in handy when my brother comes over to avoid playing Gears of War on a split screen.

myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Masters2010  (op)
Jan 23, 2007, 12:34 AM

Also, does anyone know if the needed VGA->DVI cable is included with all mac computers?

And if I do I need any extra cables for audio, or is everything included?

THanks

jaydon34
Senior User
Jan 23, 2007, 12:44 AM

To my knowledge the Apple Display only has a DVI port. So your gonna need some sort of hardware to get it work with it or the Macbook pro. But as far as the audio everything that I needed was sold with the vga kit. As much as I love apple displays they lack the inputs most other large lcd come with standard.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Masters2010  (op)
Jan 29, 2007, 12:40 PM

I'm having some trouble, I have all the cables, I plug the vga-dvi into the macbook and I get nothing. The computer is detecting a VGA display, but I've fiddle with the settings and I can't get anything to appear.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2007, 10:06 PM

I have a Samsung 213T that has both DVI and VGA input. I run my Macbook through the DVI and my 360 through the VGA using the HD cable. With the HD cable, I use its optical out and run that to my Line-In. Then use Line-In app to pipe the sound back out the headphone/Line-Out jack. I don't know of any TV solutions for OSX that use DVI so you will be stuck using SVideo.

The DVI port on a Macbook is out only, not an input. A VGA KVM would work for the video to the monitor.
( Last edited by sieb; Jan 29, 2007 at 10:13 PM. )
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 01:18 AM

Any luck yet Masters?

If your willing to get a new TV maybe your willing to get a new monitor instead. My son and I are both using Samsung wide screen monitors that have both VGA and DVI connections with the option to change the source, so both the computer and 360 can be attached at the same time. Just click the source button and your ready to go.

For sound you can use the 360 VGA cables RCA plugs if your speakers have that option (mine does) or the mini plug that comes with the 360 VGA as well and run it through your computer.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 10:52 AM

I have my 360 plugged into my Dell 2407, with the audio plugged into some flat panel and sub 2.1 PC speakers. The video connection used to be by component, but is now VGA. Only thing with VGA is that it doesn't play nice with Xbox 1 games (and some Live games) because they are 50Hz screen signal and not 60Hz. I got Forza working, but had to change the 360's screen resolution to 640x480, so far I haven't got Halo to run on VGA, so I might have to plug the component cables back into the Dell as well as the VGA and swap cables into the 360 when playing Xbox 1 games.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 2, 2007, 01:10 PM

Anybody see any reviews on that elgato hybrid thing? I want to know about lag.

Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
so far I haven't got Halo to run on VGA, so I might have to plug the component cables back into the Dell as well as the VGA and swap cables into the 360 when playing Xbox 1 games.
I've played Halo without issues here while connected via VGA. Though my monitors native resolution is 1680x1050, wonder if that makes a difference.

djlazyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sieb View Post
I have a Samsung 213T that has both DVI and VGA input. I run my Macbook through the DVI and my 360 through the VGA using the HD cable. With the HD cable, I use its optical out and run that to my Line-In. Then use Line-In app to pipe the sound back out the headphone/Line-Out jack. I don't know of any TV solutions for OSX that use DVI so you will be stuck using SVideo.

The DVI port on a Macbook is out only, not an input. A VGA KVM would work for the video to the monitor.
ok I have the same setup as far as my "samsung 213t" and "xbox 360". What I need are the exact make and model numbers of those cable that you used to hook up your "360" to your "samsung" and "macbook pro". Also if there was another way to skip using my MacBook pro and just run audio through some computer speakers.

Thank you.

Greg-

Forum Links
Forum Rules