Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Update to existing 1.1.2 to support Vista?

Update to existing 1.1.2 to support Vista?
Knaledge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2007, 01:50 AM

Any word anywhere from Apple that BootCamp 1.1.2 will receive an update for us Mac Pro users with a fairly standard config?

Perhaps something on the EFI front?

Right now, I'm getting the common "VGASave" profile due to resource conflicts, etc. on my video card. Disabling the 4-7 lane on the PCI-e subset allows me to run in 32-bit at 1280x1024 but without any major hardware acceleration.

I hope Apple isn't holding off until 10.5 as that's quite some time away from a productivity stand point. Anyone confident an update will be made in the next few days or so to get initial driver support and apparently Mac Pro isolated issues (potentially relating to EFI needing an update) out the gate?

Thanks in advance..

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 03:28 AM

One would hope that Apple would release an update to BootCamp to support Vista in the coming weeks. However, something that may hinder this process is that (from what I hear) Vista will not let the user install drivers that are not WHQL certified, and Apple's drivers are not.

So I imagine that if they do come out soon, there will be a delay so that MS can stamp their approval on the drivers.
Linkinus is king.

jdrumstik
Jan 30, 2007, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
One would hope that Apple would release an update to BootCamp to support Vista in the coming weeks. However, something that may hinder this process is that (from what I hear) Vista will not let the user install drivers that are not WHQL certified, and Apple's drivers are not.

So I imagine that if they do come out soon, there will be a delay so that MS can stamp their approval on the drivers.
If MS doesn't allow non approved Drivers they will be destroying the PC market. most companies, even dell, don't bother to register their drivers with MS. The instructions simply instruct the end user to click "continue anyways" when the warning box comes up.

My guess is that this will not be the case.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2007, 09:40 AM

WHQL drivers are only required by the 64bit version of Vista because the PatchGuard kernel security is only available under 64bit. The 32bit version will just give you a warning same as XP does.

I would hope an update comes out to support Vista but that might even be a month off.
( Last edited by sieb; Jan 31, 2007 at 03:33 AM. )
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Forum Links
Forum Rules