Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Official Vista Aero on GMA 950: Does it work properly?

Official Vista Aero on GMA 950: Does it work properly?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2007, 10:49 AM

Those of you with an official release copy of Vista, do you get full Aero support on your GMA 950 machines? (eg. MacBook, Mac mini, low end iMac)

I got my beta version to work with Aero, but only after some video driver hocus pocus*. Is it now supported natively? If not, does the video driver hocus pocus still work in the release version of Vista?

* I had to install an alternate video driver to get Aero to work, but it didn't always take. Usually it worked fine, but a couple of times after I installed that driver, I'd still get the same non-Aero interface.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2007, 06:14 PM

Starting with RC1, Aero has been 100% fully supported on the GMA 950. I haven't gotten around to installing the official release of Vista on my MacBook, but I can say for sure that both RC1 and RC2 had Aero enabled right off the bat: no fiddling, no searching for drivers, etc. I imagine that this will not have changed for the official release, but I'll go ahead and report back this weekend when I do the install.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2007, 07:47 PM

Yes, it works fine.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

manci
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by sieb View Post
Yes, it works fine.
Really? I'm using an Intel Mac mini with 2GB of RAM and Vista via Parallels. Are you speaking of using Aero via Boot Camp or something like that? I can't get it to work on Parallels.

Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 11:54 PM

Parallels won't give you any graphics acceleration, no matter what graphics chip you have. You have to run it on bare metal to use Aero.

manci
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Parallels won't give you any graphics acceleration, no matter what graphics chip you have. You have to run it on bare metal to use Aero.
Thanks for the info.

That's what I was afraid of. Have you heard of this being added to a future Parallels release? Seems to be a natural next step...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2007, 07:28 PM

Both Parallels and VMware are talking (and sometimes demoing) graphics acceleration, but I'm skeptical of the net performance.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2007, 08:34 PM

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/2/8/6960

There is a link to the video on Youtube.com. The submitter said they were using a Macbook Pro with 2GB ram.
Here is the video:
YouTube - 3D Graphics in VMware Fusion for Mac OS X
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

runninkyle17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 02:05 PM

I'm not too impressed with that video, but at least they are working on it.

I guess that stuff may be good enough to run Aero, but they are using way outdated benchmarks and outdated games. If they wanted to impress people they should have tried something like HL2 or BF2142.

But at least they are making progress.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by runninkyle17 View Post
I'm not too impressed with that video, but at least they are working on it.

I guess that stuff may be good enough to run Aero, but they are using way outdated benchmarks and outdated games. If they wanted to impress people they should have tried something like HL2 or BF2142.

But at least they are making progress.
That video highlighted DirectX 8.1. They said that they were working on DirectX 9 support which would mean Aero and modern games.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules