Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > boot camp - updating drivers?

boot camp - updating drivers?
neilK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 01:17 PM

(originally in imac forum, maybe this is the better place for it)

imac 24" with 7600gt.

in xp i noticed it's running nvidia forceware 91.49 drivers, newer drivers are available from nvidia.com, wondering if anyone has had experience with updating graphics drivers on their imac. or should i just leave well enough alone

amarkworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2007, 06:08 PM

I have vista home premium on my imac. (see specs below) I used the most recent boot camp and had issues with the apple provoded ati drivers. I downloaded the new catalyst control center and associated drivers for the radeon x1600 and had no problems whatsoever. that's with vista though so xp and nvidia might be a little different...

17" iMac 2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM / 160GB Serial ATA drive / 8x DL SuperDrive / ATI Radeon X1600-128MB SDRAM

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit."

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2007, 05:44 PM

Aside from perhaps the wireless chipsets in various macs, most hardware can use the manufactures drivers, (nvidia, ati, intel) without issues if they have newer ones than the ones in vista. As for wireless, the updated MS driver for my macbook Atheros wireless borks the wireless (stops seeing wireless networks) until I roll back the driver.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

kylemacr
Feb 4, 2007, 09:18 PM

Same thing happens with my wireless on my MBP. However, I also only get a "Poor" signal even though the router is right across the room for me, and in OS X and XP I got full signals. Do you have that same issue?

Forum Links
Forum Rules