Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Vista Home in Parallels?

Vista Home in Parallels?
jamiemcf
Apr 4, 2007, 09:09 AM

I know that Microsoft 'forbids' virtualisation for anything less than Ultimate and Business but is it possible to do it via Parallels? I have it installed on my Macbook just now via Bootcamp but I never use it and I think I would if I could use it via Parallels and Virtue Desktop. Also if I downloaded Parallels could I install Vista from the Bootcamp partition or do I need the CD's again?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2007, 11:22 AM

1. It will work fine, but slowly, from what I've read.
2. Parallels can use the bootcamp partition so you don't have to reinstall.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
2. Parallels can use the bootcamp partition so you don't have to reinstall.
Not for vista, at least the build I have.
Michael

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2007, 01:45 AM

128k is correct, Parallels doesn't support booting a Bootcamp install of Vista yet, only XP. And Home will install and run just fine, I've done it plenty of times, runs pretty fast.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 07:53 AM

My only concern with running vista home under parallels (aside from the sluggish speeds of vista vs. xp under parallels) is that M$ may slam the door on this. I'm not sure how but since their EULA forbids vista to be used with virtualization I wonder a patch from M$ will eventually "break" vista home under parallels. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but I'd rather not take a chance.

Its really a moot point for me, since I opted for the boot camp solution for vista, I did not want to give up the aero glass theme.
Michael

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2007, 01:37 PM

As an update, I am running my Vista Bootcamp in the VMWare Fusion Beta 3 released today, lets see how long it takes Parallels to 1up them (minus coherence).

I highly doubt MS will do anything about virtualization in non supported versions of Vista, its only a liability clause in the license, and a reason to make you buy the more expensive versions. If they were serious about restricting it, it would have been done upon release.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by jamiemcf View Post
I know that Microsoft 'forbids' virtualisation for anything less than Ultimate and Business but is it possible to do it via Parallels? I have it installed on my Macbook just now via Bootcamp but I never use it and I think I would if I could use it via Parallels and Virtue Desktop. Also if I downloaded Parallels could I install Vista from the Bootcamp partition or do I need the CD's again?
Please define "Microsoft forbids" in the first sentence. If this is part of a licensing agreement, then (assuming you're in the U.S. or some other jurisdiction where you'd even notice something that Microsoft "forbids") you'd be violating an enforceable contract by doing this. Otherwise, what's the point in the first statement?

If you are asking for help in violating a legal agreement, look elsewhere; MacNN can't afford to help you in this. If you're posting hyperbole, we don't need it. If you're speaking from a lack of real information and simply passing on "what you've heard," then please state so.

In the meantime, I'm looking into the licensing agreements that concern Vista, so that I will have a real understanding of this. For the record, this forum will NOT be used to help people pirate operating systems, again because MacNN can't afford to be party to something that could cause an army of attorneys to descend on the violator and everyone who helped him out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Please define "Microsoft forbids" in the first sentence. If this is part of a licensing agreement, then (assuming you're in the U.S. or some other jurisdiction where you'd even notice something that Microsoft "forbids") you'd be violating an enforceable contract by doing this. Otherwise, what's the point in the first statement?

If you are asking for help in violating a legal agreement, look elsewhere; MacNN can't afford to help you in this. If you're posting hyperbole, we don't need it. If you're speaking from a lack of real information and simply passing on "what you've heard," then please state so.

In the meantime, I'm looking into the licensing agreements that concern Vista, so that I will have a real understanding of this. For the record, this forum will NOT be used to help people pirate operating systems, again because MacNN can't afford to be party to something that could cause an army of attorneys to descend on the violator and everyone who helped him out.
Yes, the Vista Home EULA prohibits using it in a virtualized environment.

From page 11 of the Windows Vista Home EULA:
4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.
This applies to both Home Basic and Home Premium.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 7, 2007, 05:33 PM

It sounds like jamiecf knows it's a no-no to virtualize Vista Home, so I'm going to close the thread.

I do think Microsoft's going overboard with an 11+ page EULA, but it's the agreement the user accepts in order to use the software.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules