Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" 1.5ghz... replacing bottom?

12" 1.5ghz... replacing bottom?
bouda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 07:46 PM

I have heard that this is a very difficult process. Does any know generally how much it would cost to have it done by someone certified? I have the piece, just need the labor.
Thanks!

the_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bouda View Post
I have heard that this is a very difficult process. Does any know generally how much it would cost to have it done by someone certified? I have the piece, just need the labor.
Thanks!
The disassembly is the easy part. Its the reassembly that will get you. If you end up doing it yourself make sure you pay attention to the placement of the wires inside the case. Apple is really good at running them in exactly the right place. I've recently attempted this project and have not been able to get my powerbook working again. Something's fried I think. I'll probably end up selling it for parts.

Actually on second thought, you probably shouldn't try to do it yourself.

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by the_matt View Post
Actually on second thought, you probably shouldn't try to do it yourself.
Agreed. I can't recommend this to anyone who's not intimately familiar with the innards of Apple's laptops. The 12" PowerBooks in particular are a nightmare to take apart. Trust me, I speak from experience. Just the thought of working on a 12" makes my blood pressure rise even though I've done this sort of thing many times before.

Installing the new bottom case requires taking literally everything apart except the display assembly. Unfortunately this means you're easily looking at a couple billed hours of labor which could cost $200+ depending on their rates. It's very time-consuming even for someone who already knows what they're doing.
( Last edited by dn15; Jun 13, 2007 at 07:16 AM. )

bouda  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the replys. I originally thought the bottom would just screw off! Then I saw directions on line and realized it wasn't a easy project. My bottom is scratched up, but I guess it will have to stay that way for the time being!

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2007, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by bouda View Post
Thanks for the replys. I originally thought the bottom would just screw off! Then I saw directions on line and realized it wasn't a easy project. My bottom is scratched up, but I guess it will have to stay that way for the time being!
Glad to be of service, but sorry we didn't have better news for you. Unfortunately everything is attached to the bottom and you have to work your way down to it, starting from the top.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 04:44 AM

The old titaniums were easy when it came to replacing the bottom case. They were just 7 or 8 screws. But everything was attached to the top case. The new designs are opposite this way. And if you think about it, it makes more sense from an engineering stand point... more things can go wrong on a top case than bottom case (trackpad, power button, etc). So as far as repairs go, the bottom case would have to be replaced less.

I've done about a dozen bottom case transplants on the powerbook 12". It's a pain and I hate doing it. It's probably about 45 screws or so, but feels like a hundred. If your bottom case is scratched up, and you don't want to pay about $200 in billable hours (well, takes about 2 - 3 hours, cost depends on hourly rate), I'd say keep the scratches.

hey matt, interested in selling your pb?

the_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 06:28 PM

I sent you a PM about the PB chip.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 07:28 AM

I got a bottom to my 15" off ebay after it got dented. Swapped the innards, good as new. No big deal, just time consuming, and alot of screws.

Aluminum 12" - iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

PowerBook G4 Al 12" Disassembly: Installing Metal Framework - PowerBook Parts
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

bouda  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 08:08 AM

Yes - I saw the ifixit site, but I have never opened a mac and would be very nervous doing so... I also want to put a bigger hard drive in it though.

the_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 02:22 PM

A bigger hard drive really wouldn't be that hard. Just make sure you keep up with the screws and with what goes where. But all you have to do is take off the keyboard, then the top case and trackpad. After that the drive is right there, just unscrew it, pop it out, and put the bracket on your new drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules