Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Wont read the iso

Wont read the iso
fishgut11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 02:57 AM

ok here goes.. ok i downloaded SP2 and i burned the iso onto a disk, i got up to the part where it says put the windows installation disc in and it then says it wont recognize it, i tryed many diffrent ways of burning the iso, just burning that, and even burning everything that i downloaded, i just need some help and maybe some help walking me through it

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2008, 08:50 AM

Welcome to our forums!

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying here. It sounds like what you've done is copy the iso file to a disc-that won't do anything useful for you. What you must do is to burn that image to a disc. How you'd do that depends on what software you have handy (and what computer you're using-on a Mac, you can do it using Disk Utility).

And remember, in order to work properly, a Windows Install disc for a Mac MUST ALREADY HAVE SP2 INTEGRATED INTO IT. It may actually run without this, but it won't "work" after the install finishes. For a PC, it's also safer to have SP2 integrated before you start-a Windows computer that's connected to the Internet but not protected by SP2 could be "found" by any number of malware sources and attacked in a matter of minutes. It's best to just "slipstream" the SP2 download into your XP install disc-take a look at the slipstreaming thread in our reference stuff. It's fairly easy, pretty much painless, and prevents a number of rather unpleasant problems. It only requires that you have access to a Windows computer that has a CD burner, and only for something like 30 minutes max.

Let us know how things go for you, and again, Welcome!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 3, 2008, 04:34 PM

When you look at the disc you burned, do you see an ISO file or files on it such as i386?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 10:18 PM

Maybe use Burn to burn the ISO...

Andrew_Campbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Maybe use Burn to burn the ISO...
Or simply use Apple's own Disk Utility. Unless he's trying to burn this ON a PC. In that case, I suggest he try ImgBurn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules