Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > External Monitor on a MBP that has a broken LCD

External Monitor on a MBP that has a broken LCD
setec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2007, 07:38 AM

My LCD on my 15 inch MacBook Pro has been broken since March. I've been using an external LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse just fine. I am currently running 10.5.1 on it.

I wanted to install Bootcamp and Windows XP SP2.

My current way of using the external monitor only is to flip the lid open, hit the power button and shut it quickly. Mac OSX never sees the internal monitor and it makes the external monitor sharp instead of fuzzy. This has been working great for months. We never turn the computer off actually.

After I installed Windows XP, I installed the drivers for Bootcamp XP off of the Leopard 10.5 DVD as instructed. After rebooting, I can no longer use the external monitor.

I am sure there is an ATI setting I can change, but since my MBP internal monitor is completely busted, I can't see anything on it. I can't get to the setting.

Whether I use the external monitor with the lid open or closed, it shuts off after getting past the initial Windows XP boot screen.

I have tried the F7 key to try and tell the OS to switch to an external monitor but that did not work.

I know it is not the monitor, the cables or how tight they are. This setup has worked fine for 9 months and stays stationary on a table.

I also tried SAFE MODE and VGA MODE using the F8 boot option for XP, but it still shuts the external monitor off after the initial boot process.

I can even hear the windows xp boot sound, so I know it is not the OS locking up.

Anyone have any suggestions? This is my wife's computer and I had wanted to install the latest Tomb Raider game on the XP side.

Thanks in advance.

ibook_steve
Dec 19, 2007, 09:38 AM

There's not much you can do. You have to be able to get to the ATI Displays advanced preferences in the Display settings control panel to turn on the external display. What's wrong with your internal display? Maybe it can be fixed or replaced.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

setec  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 01:53 AM

The internal lcd monitor is cracked and smashed. It would cost me over $500 to replace it at this point.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2007, 04:07 PM

I assume pressing FN+F7 doesn't help either?

I wonder if you could access the computer via remote desktop or create an installation with VNC built in?

setec  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 11:17 PM

OMG, I didn't think about remote desktop. I would have to try it very quickly because the computer turns off the screen. I will give that a try. the FN+F7 doesn't work though. Tried various combos.

Although, I would have to turn on remote desktop in the settings. So, I have to see the screen to do that.
( Last edited by setec; Dec 27, 2007 at 01:36 AM. )

Andrew_Campbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 12:54 PM

If all else fails, perhaps you can install Windows using a copy of VMware Fusion or Parallels. This way, you'd be able to run it from your Mac Desktop, and the external monitor will still work. Although I have little knowledge of how well gaming works in either application, but I thought I'd throw that idea out there.

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2008, 04:50 PM

Or use the trial period on VMware or Parallels to change that ATI setting, if it lets you do it from within the virtualization app.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2008, 07:25 PM

I think that Parallels only lets you set the Parallels virtual adapter's settings (but I've never messed with it to see-so I'll check...)

Yep, Parallels ONLY LETS YOU CHANGE SETTINGS ON ITS VIRTUAL ADAPTER. Sorry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

setec  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 01:08 AM

Hmm, thanks guys for the suggestions. I wonder if this is a registry setting I could change using Parallels since I own that. If not, will try VMware. Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules