Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Toast and DVD movie playback on a DVD-RAM

Toast and DVD movie playback on a DVD-RAM
JoshFofer
Nov 16, 2000, 12:13 PM

Hello there. I have a PowerMac G4/450 MP, running OS 9.0.4, with 256 megs of RAM. This particular PowerMac has an internal Apple DVD-RAM, an Adaptec 2930 SCSI card, and an external APS CD-R (Matsushita CW-7502 mechanism.)

In any event, I usually am able to watch DVD movies via the Apple DVD Player. Once Toast is installed (the Toast CD Reader in particular) I am no longer able to launch the DVD Player. Instead, I get the message that "This Macintosh does not support the Apple DVD Player. Error number (301)." This happens with both Toast 4.1.1 and the newly released 4.1.2.

After disabling the Toast CD Reader extension, I regain the ability to play DVD movies in the DVD-RAM, but (obviously) lose the ability to mount CD's in my CD-R. Since I usually leave a DVD-RAM in the drive for my periodic backups, it's a disappointment that I can no longer use my external CD to read CD's. I don't feel like sacrificing my ability to watch DVD movies either.

This did not happen when I had the stock Apple DVD-ROM in this machine. Once I got the new DVD-RAM component from Apple and installed it, I noticed this incompatibility.

It's as if the Toast CD Reader is getting confused by the existence of the new (DVD-RAM) burner... and taking over it's driver? Is this a known issue? Is there a way to reorder my extensions so that everything's happy again? Another extension or workaround I should investigate? Should I be looking at Toast DVD instead?

I appreciate any feedback.

marka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2000, 02:52 PM

Hi,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I just ran across your post.

I have a G4500 DP with DVD-RAM. I'm using Toast 4.1.2 and can play DVD movies just fine.

MacOS 9.0.4, FireWire 2.5, 576Meg RAM, etc.

Check all your extensions to make sure they are the latest ones. Something must be different between our systems!

JoshFofer  (op)
Dec 26, 2000, 03:14 PM

Since I've posted this, the problem has been covered on MacFixit and fixed on my end. Once I disable the Toast Reader Extension, I too am able to watch movies. I'd gander to guess that your Toast Reader Extension is disabled (or not installed) as well.

Smokerz
Dec 26, 2000, 10:38 PM

The issue is covered in the Apple TIL. no work around other than disabling the Toast reader extension.

Cipher13
Dec 27, 2000, 04:24 AM

I have no such problem.
There IS another fix...
I'm not using the Toast CD Reader extension... I'm using a hacked version of the Apple CD/DVD driver that mounts my SCSI burners discs...
I believe you can find the hack on ResExcellence...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 12-27-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules