Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > UK visit in 4 days!! should I still go...

UK visit in 4 days!! should I still go...
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2007, 07:10 PM

Hell yeah....I think...so what is the sentiment there in the UK? I am going to London then to North Hampshire (Silverstone) for the F1 race. Family here in the US say to go a few think I'm crazy to go. I didn't plan this trip 2 days ago I planned it months ago. I was hoping those UK Macnn users here can give me an idea what the feeling is there? I just need some opinions NOT from the news reports.

thanks
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 07:36 PM

I understand your fear. However, if the blokes here confirm they feel safe, I say don't miss it.

I had a trip to New Mexico planned shortly after 9/11. I didn't go- afraid to fly. I haven't made the same plan since because it just hasn't worked out. In other words, take advantage of the opportunity because you may not have it again, for whatever reason.

Cold Warrior
Jul 1, 2007, 07:36 PM

I'd go ahead if it was me in the chute.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2007, 07:59 PM

I understand you family's fear- but remember, thanks to the IRA, the UK probably has more experience dealing with terrorism than any other nation in the western world. I feel safe.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 1, 2007, 08:34 PM

Get a parachute and one of those bomb suits and when you land

take a train to Amsterdam

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2007, 08:42 PM

No, don't go. Cower under your bed, and validate the actions of a few nut jobs. Terrorism is now the #1 threat to the life of anyone on the planet, so lock your doors.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Hell yeah....I think...so what is the sentiment there in the UK? I am going to London then to North Hampshire (Silverstone) for the F1 race. Family here in the US say to go a few think I'm crazy to go. I didn't plan this trip 2 days ago I planned it months ago. I was hoping those UK Macnn users here can give me an idea what the feeling is there? I just need some opinions NOT from the news reports.
There's nowt any different than usual.

Don't cancel.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Get a parachute and one of those bomb suits and when you land

take a train to Amsterdam
HA how'd you know I was going there also?

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
No, don't go. Cower under your bed, and validate the actions of a few nut jobs. Terrorism is now the #1 threat to the life of anyone on the planet, so lock your doors.
But the republicans say they're everywhere!!! just kidding!!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 05:17 AM

You should go, it will be safer in the UK than it is in the US.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 05:36 AM

Can i have your ticket to the F1 if you don't fancy coming

I live and work in London and like Paco500 says we've been dealing with terrorist threats for many years. While I can't guarantee your safety in the UK - You've probably got as much chance of being shot or stab by muggers than being blown up in any country.

If people stop going out then the buggers have won!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 05:41 AM

Here in the UK, we tend not to freak out irrationally about these things. The only impact I've felt was that traffic in London sucked royally on Friday, and there are probably going to be horrible delays at airports for a while.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2007, 05:52 AM

You live near Philly, in NJ? You are likely safer anywhere in Western Europe at any given time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
You live near Philly, in NJ? You are likely safer anywhere in Western Europe at any given time.
If you ignore the 300 rapes and 289 homicides per year its very safe.

phillycrime.org
phillycrime.org

Strix
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 10:01 AM

thanks
Drove passed Silverstone this morning, and nearly all the traffic signs are up for the campsites and parking!

By the way, Silverstone is in Northamptonshire. Hampshire is south of London and on the coast.

From the interviews I've seen on the TV, people have been very calm about it all, especially the attempted Glasgow Drive-Thru, probably because all three attempts over the weekend failed (I still cannot believe that a car bomb got towed away by the traffic wardens - not enough money in the meter?).

EDIT: Allow even more time for the airports. Some airports are now no longer allowing private cars into some of the drop-off points (ie. only taxis are allowed through). The Critial Status is only expected to last a few days, but we'll have to see.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Some airports are now no longer allowing private cars into some of the drop-off points (ie. only taxis are allowed through).
Classic.

Every taxi around here is driven by eastern blokes with pics of Bin Laden in their wallets.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Classic.

Every taxi around here is driven by eastern blokes with pics of Bin Laden in their wallets.
LMFAO!!

SNIP (I still cannot believe that a car bomb got towed away by the traffic wardens - not enough money in the meter?)....
you only have to look like you're going to stop and the little nazi's will give you a ticket - but fair play on this one!

Strix
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nivag View Post
you only have to look like you're going to stop and the little nazi's will give you a ticket - but fair play on this one!
The guy driving the tow vehicle must have cacked himself when he found out

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 04:38 PM

Just go, you'll regret it if you don't
we don't have time to stop for gas

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 04:50 PM

Yeah im going...never been there and I think the Brits like us Americans?!! When I go any suggestion on an inexpensive places to eat? My friend and I just want to eat cheap decent meals while not going broke. Any pubs out of the way that have good food and aren't torist traps? I'll be all around London and we'll take the tube to get places and I don't want to spend $20 for fish and chips and a Pepsi with no ice!!

If you ignore the 300 rapes and 289 homicides per year its very safe.
Well the Philly mayor was out buying an iPhone on the 29th so it can't be all that bad

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 04:52 PM

I would never ever ever say Brits are like Americans.
I'd go as far as say, pretend to be Canadian

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 05:02 PM

I said I think the Brits 'like' Americans as in fond of.
Paging Doofy, Doofy to this thread (again)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 05:02 PM

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I would never ever ever say Brits are like Americans.
I'd go as far as say, pretend to be Canadian

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 05:29 PM

What up?

Yes, actually Steve, it might be a good idea to pretend you're Canuck, as Pete suggests. Most Brits like you colonials, but occasionally you'll come across some hippie who'll start whining at you like there's no tomorrow just because you're Yank. She'll follow you back to the hotel, nagging and whining all the way... ...and the only way to get her to shut up will be to whack her over the head with a fire extinguisher a few hundred times. Which will annoy the hotel some. Carpet cleaning bill and all that. And then you'll have to hit tilde and enter some kind of cheat code to get more fire extinguishers in case of an actual fire. And donuts.

Don't blame me. I don't make the rules!*

(* yet)

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 05:39 PM

I've been here over a year now and have not once had any be rude to be based on my nationality. I get the occasional ribbing from co-workers, but that's it. If there is rampant anti-americanism, I've never seen it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 05:48 PM

yeah, Brits are nice people really.
Just dont get between them and a pub

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 05:51 PM

yeah, Brits are nice people really.
Just dont get between them and a pub
Or the chippy.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 10:08 PM

well Im off to the UK and parts of Europe on Thursday, I'll report if my iPhone works there also...if I can.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 10:13 PM

I have never seen anyone in the UK make their feelings about the US govt and US foreign policy a personal issue. Having said that, if you let people suspect you are a Bush fan you might get a different reception. Right now re the airport attack, without wanting to make light of a serious subject, I'm thinking the Brits must be embarrassed at having the world' most inept suicide bombers.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 03:54 AM

Yeah my feelings were that of embarrassment rather than say... relief?!?!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2007, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I have never seen anyone in the UK make their feelings about the US govt and US foreign policy a personal issue. Having said that, if you let people suspect you are a Bush fan you might get a different reception. Right now re the airport attack, without wanting to make light of a serious subject, I'm thinking the Brits must be embarrassed at having the world' most inept suicide bombers.
Actually they were Australian, working here at our local Gold Coast Hospital. My friend's mom met one of them

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 04:32 AM

lol alot of things make me laugh on here, yer dont get in the way of a brit and the pub, not a good idea.

i wouldnt worry about it, the olice seem to be doign an Ok job, alot of raids, hightened security everywhere, exspect delays at airport if your assian because pritty much all assian men are being searched. Which i was going to the F1 but instead ill be fighting the traffic as i frive back from the Henley Royal Regatta that sunday.

I appologise in advance for southeners you'll know what i mean if u meet a northener lol althought u prob wont understand them

Brits like to make fun of yanks but i dont think many of them actually mean it, ur just an easy target for our british humor

prepare to pay though your teeth for stuff though, Uk is alot more exspencive than yankville, even though convesion rate is like $1 -> £.60 exspect to pay the same price in america just in pounds, $10 -> £10 if not more for the same thing

Have a good trip

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
prepare to pay though your teeth for stuff though, Uk is alot more exspencive than yankville, even though convesion rate is like $1 -> £.60 exspect to pay the same price in america just in pounds, $10 -> £10 if not more for the same thing
As of this morning it's $1 = £.4955. It's a bit ugly.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 05:44 AM

ouch, i remember going to america and it been like $1 -> £.63 or sommet, i could be wrong was was along time ago, so is the pound stong or the dollar weak, im not very good with all the money market crap lol, dont really plan to g out side of UK, althought i am going to New York in Feb so if it stays like that im gonna have to do some spending

Matt

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2007, 05:46 AM

When I went back to the states for a week in June, I took one full suitscase and three empty. They were full on my return.

My savings ALMOST covered the cost of my tickets.

Strix
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I'm thinking the Brits must be embarrassed at having the world' most inept suicide bombers.
They should be charged not with terrorism, but with incompetance:

1) Failure to put enough money in meter to avoid being towed away.
2) Failure to actually detonate the device in two cars.
3) Failure to park a car in a non-suspicious "looks like a car bomb" manner (ie. do not pull up onto the pavement in central London, and leave the car with the doors open. Lucky no-one nicked it 'cos joyriders could have seriously hurt someone).
4) Failure to understand that a Jeep does not fit though the revolving doors at Glasgow airport.
5) Failure to understand that you need to light the fuel before driving the car into the doors.
6) Failure to commit the "suicide" part of the "suicide bomb plot".

No doubt there are other charges that could be brought forward.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 06:11 AM

3) Failure to park a car in a non-suspicious "looks like a car bomb" manner (ie. do not pull up onto the pavement in central London, and leave the car with the doors open. Lucky no-one nicked it 'cos joyriders could have seriously hurt someone).
4) Failure to understand that a Jeep does not fit though the revolving doors at Glasgow airport.
5) Failure to understand that you need to light the fuel before driving the car into the doors.

Its Crule to laugh but..... LOL!

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
When I went back to the states for a week in June, I took one full suitscase and three empty. They were full on my return.

My savings ALMOST covered the cost of my tickets.
Im thinking new trainers, cloths, possible something new Mac related, dont know what my lugage allowence is cause its with Uni.
Wanna go to Ground Zero to pay my respects and visit that cool mac store (glass box one), think the Superbowels on while im over there too. DOWNSIDE.... CANT DRINK CAUSE OF GAY 21 DRINKING AGE! Cant u get arrested over there for drinking under age rather than just kicked out of bar.

Matt

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 06:26 AM

Superbowels?
Awesome.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 06:30 AM

Superbowels?
Awesome.
Superbowl*

lol im such a spaz, should learn to spell

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 07:08 AM

You might want to read this new web site which is dedicated to the baggage handler at Glasgow airport who helped the police ('The Polis') when the jeep came crashing through the terminal doors. There is a pint-donation scheme on the site which has already exceeded 1,000 pints for the all-new British hero that is John Smeaton. I've bought him a drink.

John Smeaton - Hero For Our Time � One Brave Weegie Takes on al-Qaeda

There are a couple of excellent news interviews on the site including one where he describes 'sticking the boot in' on the burning bomber and the other one where he warns terrorists that 'this is Britain...if you come here, we'll set about ye'.

Latest score: Glasgow Baggage Handlers 1 Al-Qu'eda 0

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
You might want to read this new web site which is dedicated to the baggage handler at Glasgow airport who helped the police ('The Polis') when the jeep came crashing through the terminal doors. There is a pint-donation scheme on the site which has already exceeded 1,000 pints for the all-new British hero that is John Smeaton. I've bought him a drink.

John Smeaton - Hero For Our Time � One Brave Weegie Takes on al-Qaeda

There are a couple of excellent news interviews on the site including one where he describes 'sticking the boot in' on the burning bomber and the other one where he warns terrorists that 'this is Britain...if you come here, we'll set about ye'.

Latest score: Glasgow Baggage Handlers 1 Al-Qu'eda 0

Class.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 07:34 AM

wow 1,000 pints...... ...... Man im gonna go find me a terrorist and 'Put The Boot In'

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 07:48 AM

Yeah don't let recent news stop you!! The UK is probably at is "safest" due to higher security checks etc!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2007, 07:54 AM

Clicked the link at the bottom of that John Smeaton site...

Got this (warning, strong language):

JustGoFaster :: Our CGV8 Mission

The next time you are sitting at a set of traffic lights and a Mercedes SL55 (or indeed any other loud V8 but a SL55 is particularly suitable) comes up beside you, wind down your window and turn off your Blue Greatest Hits CD. Now just relax and listen. When the lights go green listen and watch how he accelerates far, far too fast for any real purpose since he'll have to brake at the 30 mph limit anyway.

So what does that teach us? - well it quite simply teaches us that the guy in the Mercedes has a much better life and is considerably happier than you. If you're interested in cars at all then that noise is almost more life affirming than any other noise you're likely to hear. Ever.

Now some of you may not agree. Sadly you will have put up with years of mental conditioning from your underachieving parents and the social misfits who taught you at school that having wealth is a bad thing. You'll look at the guy in the Mercedes and think "sad ****". You'll possibly even, if you read the Guardian too often and spent too long listening to women and not shagging them as you grew up, assume that he has a small nob.

The point is that he's happier than you and it's all down to the sound of that car.

Forum Links
Forum Rules