Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo wireless is flaky...

Pismo wireless is flaky...
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 01:01 PM

I am resurrecting my Pismo as a backup portable. It's running Tiger 10.4.latest and has 1GB of ram.

For some odd reason, it has been refusing to join my wireless network saying "an error occurred". I deleted the preferences in ~user\library\preferences\*airport*-whatever, deleted the network from the Network Preference Pane, and even a few other places, with no luck.

What was odd was I was able to connect to the AE basestation and view its setup (made no changes) and while I was doing this, it connected to my network. As soon as I disconnected from the basestation, I lost the connection. Another time, literally deleted the settings and then it connected, but as soon as I closed system preferences, I lost the connection.

Somewhere, a setting is corrupted related to connecting. The hardware is OK. Any ideas?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ibook_steve
Jan 29, 2008, 06:45 PM

Pismo only uses 802.11b, IIRC. If you are using it with an Extreme base station, make sure you have the wireless protocol on the base station set correctly. You may have it set to use 802.11n only (5 GHz) which won't work with Pismo.

Also, if you are using some sort of wireless security, try turning it off, at least temporarily. I've gotten so frustrated with wireless security protocols and passwords on every machine and device that I just leave my network open and filter by MAC address. Probably stupid, but I don't mind others using my connection (I can, of course, easily kick them off if they're eating my bandwidth) and I have most of my protocols turned off with the OS X firewall.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2008, 10:05 PM

I think the problem has something to do with the WPA2 protection. When I try to conenct, it insists that the protection is WPA Personal when it isn't.

Come to think of it, I think the last time the Pismo connected without issue was when I was still using WPA security.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2008, 07:47 AM

It was related to security.

First, I am running an older AE basestation (pre-11n). Second, the Pismo started having problems (as I think back) when I switched from WEP to WPA/WPA2 Personal. As soon as I switched it to plain WPA it could connect.

Apparently, the old airport card or Tiger doesn't really support WPA2 properly hence its trouble connecting.

I did some tweaks and now I am connected again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules