Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No Processor Performance settings on 1 GHz PB

No Processor Performance settings on 1 GHz PB
TiSteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 10:38 AM

I have noticed that I do not have any options under my Energy Saver prefPane for setting Processor Performance. There are only the various settings for optimizing energy for the power adaptor and Battery Power (plus the settings for putting the computer, display and harddrive to sleep as well as the couple of wake options and the other option for restarting after a power failure).

I think that this might have to do with the fact that I basicallly transferred my system using Carbon Copy Cloner when I upgraded to the new 1GHz PB from my old 667MHz Rev. B PB. BTW...was running 10.2.2 when I made the transfer, and have since upgraded to 10.2.3.

I am a little curious as to whether i am getting a default of full processor performance when I use that particular setting on the power adapter, even though I do not have the processor performance option available. Anyone with any experience on that?

I would also like to know whether or not there is something that I can do to "fix" this. I tried only things like trashing the com.apple.powermanagement.plist file and resetting the PMU, but this never made any difference. Does anyone have any suggestions other then re-stalling Mac OSX software?

thanks.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 01:51 PM

Try trashing the com.apple.preference (or something) file in the cache folder (both in your system and home libraries).

It's strange situation.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

mnesset
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2003, 01:57 PM

Beware! I, too, used Copy Cloner when I first received my 1 ghz PowerBook, but I cloned from my desktop. The clone worked perfectly and I happily went on my way using the cloned disk on my new machine. However, after a while, I noticed that it didn't seem to be running any faster than my old Powerbook (500 mhz.). So, I downloaded Xbench to do run some benchmarks and was horrified to realize that my new machine was running slower than the old one. So, figuring that I shouldn't have cloned from the desktop to the powerbook (I, too, did not have access to the proper energy saver preferences), I reformatted my new 'book and reinstalled all the software that came with my machine. Then, I ran the Xbench software again and found that my total score was almost 50% higher than with the cloned drive.

I know it's a pain to reinstall all the software again (I'm in the process right now . . .) but it's far better to have a computer running at it's optimum.

Hope this helps you,
Mary

TiSteve  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 11:11 AM

Well, just a little update on this one. I gave up trying to figure it out and did a new install....erase and install actually since the archive and install did not seem to work.

I get my Processor Performance setting on the Options in Energy Saver now, and the performance does seem loads better ...confirmed also with increased xbench scores.

Quite a curious thing this, and something to keep in mind if you are using, or have used CCC to migrating across platforms.

Nicksher13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2003, 12:19 PM

I used CCC on my last PB500 after upgrading the hard drive and lost the ability to access system prefs from the apple menu. Very strange, I worked around by placing sys prefs in the dock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules