Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Classic Mac Software: Claris Draw. Can someone help?

Classic Mac Software: Claris Draw. Can someone help?
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2006, 06:10 PM

I have a set of Claris Draw disks form 1995. Does anyone out there happen to still have theirs?

Here's what I need: Disk 1 is toast. The owner spilled coffee on it and it won't read. Can someone send me a disk image of disk 1 by email? It is part of a 6 disk set.

He needs the software to access his old files.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

iMACBeth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2006, 06:20 PM

Did Claris Draw come separately from Claris Works?
iMACBeth

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2006, 05:39 AM

I think so. These disks say, "ClarisDRAW" 1994/1995 on them and "Claris for Macintosh". It doesn't appear to be part of Claris works.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Apr 24, 2006 at 06:56 AM. )

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2006, 09:21 AM

I MAY have that. I shall check for you. Unfornately, though, a friend of mine borrowed my floppy drive, so I may hve some difficulties getting the disk image to you. Even that's not unsurmountable though -- I can get the drive back without too much effort.

P
Apr 24, 2006, 12:17 PM

ClarisDraw was the successor to MacDraw, back when Claris went after the Windows market and didn't want to scare Windows users away. All of the standalone programs except Filemaker tanked on Windows, and Claris reused the code to improve ClarisWorks. ClarisWorks became AppleWorks, but compability with old formats remained. Check if you can't get a recent version of Appleworks to open the files - I think it should work, though I don't have Appleworks here so I can check.

If you need to rescue a disk that has had a coffee bath, it may be possible. Disassemble the disk and wipe down all the parts with moist rag. Dry it off, make sure that it is clean and reassemble. If you are very luck, it will work again.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2006, 12:30 PM

I have Appleworks, as does my friend. He may not know he can open the files in Appleworks.

I thought about cleaning the disk, but the residue appears to have physically damaged the disk (groove made by gunk on the media).

If bbales can send me an image, I can burn it to a new floppy then revive the software.

SVass
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2006, 02:14 PM

Graphic Converter claims to be able to open MacDraw files, so you could try it. sam

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 09:01 AM

Sorry -- I checked. No Claris Draw disks. I don't think I ever had that program, but I certainly won't swear to it. I can't find my old HyperCard disks, either -- can't believe I got rid of those in some long-ago office purge. On the other hand, they might still be around somehwere...

Hope you find what you need.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2006, 05:38 PM

Thanks for the effort. You are a credit to the Mac community.

iMACBeth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 07:44 PM

Wish I could help, but all I could find were disks for ClarisWorks. I'm not sure if we ever had ClarisDraw. I know we had (and still have) MacDraw, but we really never used it. Sorry.
iMACBeth

Chito
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Thanks for the effort. You are a credit to the Mac community.
You might try this
http://www.download.com/EazyDraw/300...-10428683.html
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules