Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got a new ride!

Got a new ride! (Page 7)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2010, 01:30 PM

Shortcut > Laminar > Dakar
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 28, 2010, 01:42 PM

Woo!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 01:59 PM

I agree, you are the simpleton of the group.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2010, 02:11 PM

I have a 2003 Tacoma pickup, regular cab. It's not even the fancy one. But I've had zero problems with it passing 146k miles. I've replaced the belts, fuel filter, and breaks. That's it. Well, and oil. I'll buy another one, that's for sure. I did upgrade it with an ARE pickup camper. I totally lucked out because my local dealer had a color-matched Silver one for only $650. Came with free headliner, lights, and sliding front and side windows. Heck of a deal. Looks pretty slick, too. ARE had sent the shell in the wrong color for a different customer, so they pay the resaler to sell it at close to cost (harder to sell one after it's been painted a specific color and fitted for a specific make and year of pickup.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 28, 2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I have a 2003 Tacoma pickup, regular cab. It's not even the fancy one. But I've had zero problems with it passing 146k miles.
Your personal experience means nothing. It's a sample size of one. I realize everyone wants to believe their own experiences are meaningful, but they're really not. Making a purchase based on a statistically insignificant sample size is naïve.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2010, 05:12 PM

Discounting anecdotal evidence, however, is just as fallacious.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 05:41 PM

Why is that? Anyone can come up with an anecdote to support any position.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2010, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Why is that? Anyone can come up with an anecdote to support any position.
Has this happened to you before?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 06:57 PM

Sometimes when I run into walls, my car stops running. Piece of crap.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 28, 2010, 06:58 PM

In my experience, factual statistics backed up by valid investigations contradicted good points I wanted to make. But of course living a life based upon statistically predictable results is not really living.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 08:31 PM

Really? I'd wager that a few gears meshing is much much more reliable than the valve bodies, bands, solenoids, vacuum stuff, electronics, etc. that you get with an automatic. More points of failure = less reliability. Sure, your clutch will wear out, but if it's not abused, a manual transmission/transaxle can last forever.
Yeah, sure if they are treated right, look at the heavy equipment crowd, but neutral drops and powershifts are hard on a transmission.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 28, 2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Manual trannys are never as reliable as automatics.

More fun to drive? Sure. More reliable for day to day driving? Hell no.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
This

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2010, 11:37 PM

What drives you to post things like this is beyond me. It's like you are a 14 year old girl or something.

AAAAaaaaaanyways, autos have always treated me good and I will continue to buy them over sticks. Driving stick in traffic sucks, driving stick at 7 am in the morning on the way to work sucks. Some people want an easier drive, not a challenging one.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2010, 11:46 PM

AAAAaaaaaanyways, autos have always treated me good and I will continue to buy them over sticks. Driving stick in traffic sucks, driving stick at 7 am in the morning on the way to work sucks. Some people want an easier drive, not a challenging one.
I think it's fair to say that's a valid preference that A LOT of people have, and it drives the market. I don't know that I'd conflate that preference with better 'reliability', but I'll still take the automatic. Even with a little less control and more parts to break, I'd accept the trade-off for, among other things, the reasons you mention.

But, they're all just sheeple.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
Thanks for making my point for me. You sank a bunch of cash in to 'upgrade', never to see again. So your car had the features that higher-end models had, and you lost out. See a pattern here?
Yep. If I had purchased the R/T or ACR, the value would have been held much higher. This is where I learned never to buy the boring, run of the mill version. You spend 4x as much upgrading your base model to the higher model, than you would if you just bought the better version.

You're talking about the 5 people who participate in prelude forums. I'm talking about the general population. Yes - there are a number of people who will always want the 5spd (for the record, I had the 5spd too). But the number of people who want an automatic is far far greater. They're just the folks who don't participate in forums, because 1) they're not that into it, and 2) they don't want you crapping on their threads.
If I go to honda tech, I promise you I can find like 50+ people that would be willing to buy it NOW, and like 5 if it was an auto. Automatics have fewer gears, are slower, get shittier MPG, are less reliable, are heavier, and are less fun. They are worth less for performance oriented models. Don't believe me? Go price out some 2002-2005 WRXs. Automatics vs 5spds. Run along now.

So wait, which is it? You bought the top of the line one, which is auto only and 'worth more'. But, in the next sentence, the 5spd versions are 'worth more'. Which is it?
When I bought my SVX, there was one 5spd in this country. I'm close friends with the guy who converted his, which was the 2nd 5spd SVX in the country. Now there are quite a few, since prices have come down for parts, and the cars themselves. The current order of value, all things considered equal, are 5spds, LSL, and LS. I'm sorry you do not understand this.

How do you know? Did you sell it and re-purchase it?
I paid $7500 for mine, with 101k on it. I've seen cars with 103k go for $8500-9500 on ebay over the past year, and I've seen cars with 130-150k sell for around $7500. I'm sorry this is a difficult concept for you to grasp, that demand dictates price.

PS: BA-A-A-A-A-A-A!!!!!!

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
When I sold my '93 Civic 3-door (with a 5-speed) in 2002, the really big selling point was "low mileage," NOT the 5-speed. I stepped up to a Civic Coupe with an automatic because it was 1) on the lot and ready for me to drive away and 2) it's mileage ratings were within a couple digits of the manual Coupe's. I loved that car, and drove it for 5 years, then I traded it in on a Civic Sedan, also with an automatic. Got top dollar for the Coupe, too.

Not all drivers are enthusiasts, and not all drivers want to be enthusiasts. Further, the majority of drivers in my area would be (more) dangerous in "enthusiast" cars with more pick up, speed and horsepower than they already are in large trucks and "armored soccer mom carriers."
Yeah, that's because you had the boring version. If it was an Si, which was the top of the line, it would have a 5spd. In most generations, they didn't even offer an auto, and if they did, it did not sell well, and was not desirable.

Secondly, disagree. Sports oriented cars have great handling, response, and braking, which directly translates to more control, thus SAFER. It's the inattentive people driving overly large heavy vehicles that I find most dangerous.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 02:34 AM

Manual trannys are never as reliable as automatics.

More fun to drive? Sure. More reliable for day to day driving? Hell no.
In every situation I've ever heard of, except MAYBE wrxs, the manuals are always more reliable. They don't require maintenance like an auto, they don't require fluid changes, filter changes, they are more efficient, fewer parts, etc. I've never heard of a case where an automatic is more reliable, even in boring cars.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 02:36 AM

Really? I'd wager that a few gears meshing is much much more reliable than the valve bodies, bands, solenoids, vacuum stuff, electronics, etc. that you get with an automatic. More points of failure = less reliability. Sure, your clutch will wear out, but if it's not abused, a manual transmission/transaxle can last forever.
Agree 1000000%.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 02:40 AM

Look, I'm only talking out of experience. Out of all the cars I've had with autos they all work great and needed zero maintenance. In my standard cars, and my friends, there is nothing but throwout bearing problems, slave cylinders, linkage issues, etc etc.

If I had to get a car built for longevity I'd easily get an automatic, I've never had any part of auto transmission give me any problems since I've got my license. Auto trannies can last forever too, with little to no maintenance.
You really don't know what you are talking about. First off, automatic transmissions usually have transmission coolers. In the case of my SVX, this was the reason the car had transmission problems in the first place. Automatics rely on "slipping" when you hit the brakes, which generates heat, which is "wear" on the ATF. The fluid must be cooled in the cooler. The SVX originally had a small screen on the cooler, which became clogged, which then caused the fluid to overheat, lose it's lubrication properties, and destroy the transmission.

Automatics in general are full of valves, solonoids, and narrow passages and coolers and hoses that can become clogged, and cause it to overheat. In addition, there are many more points of failure in terms of leakage. In comparison, a manual is just a bunch of gears basically sloshing around in a pool of oil. Maintenance free, suggested fluid changes are never or once ever 100k or so. Automatics generally require the ATF to be changed every 30k or so, with internal filters every 60k. Just because you choose to ignore these suggestions, and have thusfar not had a massive failure, does not mean they are maintenance free.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 02:45 AM

I have a 2003 Tacoma pickup, regular cab. It's not even the fancy one. But I've had zero problems with it passing 146k miles. I've replaced the belts, fuel filter, and breaks. That's it. Well, and oil. I'll buy another one, that's for sure. I did upgrade it with an ARE pickup camper. I totally lucked out because my local dealer had a color-matched Silver one for only $650. Came with free headliner, lights, and sliding front and side windows. Heck of a deal. Looks pretty slick, too. ARE had sent the shell in the wrong color for a different customer, so they pay the resaler to sell it at close to cost (harder to sell one after it's been painted a specific color and fitted for a specific make and year of pickup.)
BRAKES. Not breaks. Break= CRACK, BROKEN. Brakes= stopping a vehicle.

Anyway, not really impressed. If you're driving with 150k old struts, it must handle like shit. Struts/shocks should be replaced every 60-75k miles, and chances are your tie rods, ball joints, and other suspension bushings are also shot. What you've done is keep it running, which is not the same as "maintaining" a vehicle.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 02:47 AM

What drives you to post things like this is beyond me. It's like you are a 14 year old girl or something.

I think it's fair to say that's a valid preference that A LOT of people have, and it drives the market. I don't know that I'd conflate that preference with better 'reliability', but I'll still take the automatic. Even with a little less control and more parts to break, I'd accept the trade-off for, among other things, the reasons you mention.

But, they're all just sheeple.
I'm sure you both would. Sek, I understand you drive a truck, so that makes sense. I wouldn't want to shift a piece of garbage that wasn't fun to drive either. Your vehicle = means to an end. It serves you by getting you to work, it does not provide pleasure. But what about Creepdog? Same viewpoint? What do you drive?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2010, 07:29 AM

Something everyone is missing is the baseline quality of the transmissions we're discussing. Not "manual vs. automatic," but "company A manual" versus "company B automatic."

Here's an example: I got my first taste of manual transmission in a '65 VW bug. I basically learned the ins and outs driving around on side streets for about half an hour. With that under my belt, I was able to apply my experience and become relatively competent with manual transmissions in general pretty quickly. My experience says "old Bug transmissions are built like brick outhouses and they make good learning tools." Probably because they're over-engineered and because manufacturing practices in that time period stressed "quick and solid" as opposed to "save every penny in manufacturing."

On the other hand, I've never had an automatic transmission actually "fail" on me, whereas I did have a Hundai manual fail (the car I'd bought as a stop gap while my car was being shipped back to the States had been in an undisclosed accident which damaged the transmission), and my Nissan's 5 speed (ironically, in the car I was waiting for when I bought the Hundai) had a countershaft break while my dad was driving it-on the highway, way out of town. Both were very expensive to repair.

For raw performance, unless you have a computer controlled automatic like in the 'Vette, an automatic won't really compete with a good manual transmission. But considering that I leave Eclipse-driving, wanna-be "Fast and Furious" kids almost standing still with my Civic sedan with its automatic transmision, I have to say that it's not as much the hardware as the operator that really makes the difference.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 09:42 AM

If I go to honda tech, I promise you I can find like 50+ people that would be willing to buy it NOW, and like 5 if it was an auto.
Again, . You think this is relevant.

When I bought my SVX, there was one 5spd in this country. I'm close friends with the guy who converted his, which was the 2nd 5spd SVX in the country. Now there are quite a few, since prices have come down for parts, and the cars themselves. The current order of value, all things considered equal, are 5spds, LSL, and LS. I'm sorry you do not understand this.
Again I ask, does the price difference offset the parts and labor required to do the conversion?

I paid $7500 for mine, with 101k on it. I've seen cars with 103k go for $8500-9500 on ebay over the past year, and I've seen cars with 130-150k sell for around $7500. I'm sorry this is a difficult concept for you to grasp, that demand dictates price.
Did you buy it at book price? Has the actual book price increased, or did you get a good deal on yours?

unless you have a computer controlled automatic like in the 'Vette,

an automatic won't really compete with a good manual transmission.
Once you're in the 350-400 and up horsepower range, an automatic will typically provide equal or better straight-line performance. Above that level it gets much more significant. Automatic Supras were in the 10s long before the 6 speed versions were.

But considering that I leave Eclipse-driving, wanna-be "Fast and Furious" kids almost standing still with my Civic sedan with its automatic transmision,
I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, but I'm saying it's likely that intent was misunderstood.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 09:57 AM

For raw performance, unless you have a computer controlled automatic like in the 'Vette, an automatic won't really compete with a good manual transmission.
Um, what? The Corvette's transmission is the same transmission that's in the larger motor Silverados... I think you're referring to the manual gearbox Vette which allows 1-4 upshifts to preserve economy in slower city driving. Chevrolet call it "Computer-Aided Gear Selection."

BTW, it's Hyundai

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 10:04 AM

On the other hand, I've never had an automatic transmission actually "fail" on me, whereas I did have a Hundai manual fail (the car I'd bought as a stop gap while my car was being shipped back to the States had been in an undisclosed accident which damaged the transmission), and my Nissan's 5 speed (ironically, in the car I was waiting for when I bought the Hundai) had a countershaft break while my dad was driving it-on the highway, way out of town. Both were very expensive to repair.

For raw performance, unless you have a computer controlled automatic like in the 'Vette, an automatic won't really compete with a good manual transmission. But considering that I leave Eclipse-driving, wanna-be "Fast and Furious" kids almost standing still with my Civic sedan with its automatic transmision, I have to say that it's not as much the hardware as the operator that really makes the difference.
Since it was a while ago, I'm guessing it was still when Hyundai made awful, disposable cars. I'd chock that one up to poor engineering all around. For the Nissan, that's more of a freak accident.

Again, automatic transmissions require MAINTENANCE, and are way more complex. Together, this makes them less reliable than a standard transmission. To say otherwise is basically broadcasting your ignorance of the general automotive spectrum.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 10:07 AM

Again, . You think this is relevant.

Again I ask, does the price difference offset the parts and labor required to do the conversion?

Did you buy it at book price? Has the actual book price increased, or did you get a good deal on yours?.
It is relevant. It's easier to sell, for more money than the automatic. The car is so old that people looking for a cheap car won't pay much. People who want a classic, in the best trim level possible, with the most desirable options, would be paying MORE than someone looking for anold automatic prelude.

Nope. Hence why I didn't do it. They're still worth more though.

Yep. They're now selling above blue book, consistently. Every time one goes on ebay, it sells above book value, unless it's ratty.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 10:10 AM

I don't see anything wrong with what Rob is saying... I'd pay extra for Rob's Prelude.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 10:13 AM

richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 10:14 AM

MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 10:31 AM

But mainly because it's manual and yellow. And I like yellow cars. Also, 4WS.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 11:53 AM

Yep. If I had purchased the R/T or ACR, the value would have been held much higher. This is where I learned never to buy the boring, run of the mill version. You spend 4x as much upgrading your base model to the higher model, than you would if you just bought the better version.
Right. So if you want those features, pay for them. If you don't, don't. That's the point.

If I go to honda tech, I promise you I can find like 50+ people that would be willing to buy it NOW, and like 5 if it was an auto. Automatics have fewer gears, are slower, get shittier MPG, are less reliable, are heavier, and are less fun. They are worth less for performance oriented models. Don't believe me? Go price out some 2002-2005 WRXs. Automatics vs 5spds. Run along now.
Wait, I thought we were talking about preludes. Now we're talking about WRXs? 'Automatics have fewer gears, are slower, get shittier MPG, are less reliable, are heavier, and are less fun.' Yet people still want them. Hmmmmm.

And once again, yes, I agree - of the people on a honda tech forum, I'm quite certain more would want a manual. You seem, once again, to be forgetting about the people who AREN'T on a honda tech forum - probably mostly because you can't crap on their threads.

So basically, if you spend countless hours and lots of money doing a 5spd conversion on a car, you might get a few extra bucks for it when you sell it, if you go to the trouble to find someone who cares. Color me shocked.

Yeah, I think I understand....

PS: BA-A-A-A-A-A-A!!!!!!
OK - so what would yours go for? If it's in your ballpark, then basically your car has the same value you bought it for, with 10-25% more use. This is shocking how? If you'd gotten a 'regular' model for $4500, and it's still worth about $4500, would you be as shocked? BAAAAAAAH!

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 11:58 AM

But what about Creepdog? Same viewpoint? What do you drive?
I thought this was clear from other posts. I drive a Mini Cooper S. Automatic (gasp!).

I bought the S for 2 main reasons:

1) I didn't want the CVT in the standard Cooper - I wanted a straight automatic. (The CVT has proven to be less reliable than a straight automatic and have a much higher repair cost.)
2) I wanted a little bit more highway passing power that the supercharged engine provides.

I am EXTREMELY happy with it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 12:40 PM

Now we're talking about WRXs? 'Automatics have fewer gears, are slower, get shittier MPG, are less reliable, are heavier, and are less fun.' Yet people still want them. Hmmmmm.
I've never seen an automatic WRX. Nobody really WANTS a 4 speed automatic.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I've never seen an automatic WRX. Nobody really WANTS a 4 speed automatic.
Yeah - I didn't even know they ever offered an automatic on the WRX. I was looking at Imprezas at one point and was specifically NOT looking for the WRX for that reason.

Although, upon search - wow - one might be coming:
2011 Subaru WRX STI A-Line Sedan: Oh, To Be Automatic and Wingless

My comment about automatics there was more in general - not specific to the WRX. In general, yes, many people really do WANT a 4-speed automatic (on, say, an Impreza or Corolla or Crown Vic). Granted, probably not on a WRX - that's not the point of that car. And that's fine. But lots of people would buy an automatic Impreza or Corolla or Civic over that.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 01:17 PM

Your personal experience means nothing. It's a sample size of one. I realize everyone wants to believe their own experiences are meaningful, but they're really not. Making a purchase based on a statistically insignificant sample size is naïve.
That is 100% true, however, Edmunds and Consumer Reports would seem to substantiate my claim.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 01:20 PM

BRAKES. Not breaks. Break= CRACK, BROKEN. Brakes= stopping a vehicle.
Yup, typed it wrong.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 29, 2010, 01:20 PM

Grammar nazis of the world, untie!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Grammar nazis of the world, untie!
But I might trip!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2010, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Um, what? The Corvette's transmission is the same transmission that's in the larger motor Silverados... I think you're referring to the manual gearbox Vette which allows 1-4 upshifts to preserve economy in slower city driving. Chevrolet call it "Computer-Aided Gear Selection."

BTW, it's Hyundai
I was referring to the 2008 Corvette Z06 with the C6 automatic transmission-claimed to be the fastest automatic Corvette ever.

And I have given up on trying to spell that company name from memory. The one I bought was actually built by Mitsubishi-back before the Hyundai corporation decided their megashipbuilding and heavy equipment lines were taking a pounding because cars with their name on them were crap on wheels.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2010, 01:52 PM

Yup, typed it wrong.
Derned homophones always screw things up. They should be outlawed!!!

hayesk
Sep 29, 2010, 01:54 PM

Oddly enough, I just had my automatic transmission fail on me after 135000 kms. It was a Honda 5-speed automatic from 2004 Accord. Luckily I convinced Honda to pay for it (the parts anyway), because it would have cost $6k (Cdn.) to replace.

As someone who just learned to drive a manual, I see how driving in heavy traffic is a bit of a pain, but if you don't have to do it every day, it's not that big of a deal. If you have to do it every day, I can see why that would be a pain, but to me heavy traffic is a pain no matter what kind of transmission you have. I'd be looking at public transit, or an alternate route if I had to deal with heavy traffic every day.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2010, 02:05 PM

Honda goes out of their way to make customers happy. We had a distributor fail right after a scheduled maintenance visit that included adjusting the valves. When I stated the "coincidence" that way to the service manager, he asked if he could call me back. 15 minutes later he said Honda Motors would cover the repair-not because the service we had done caused the distributor to fail, but because it sure did look bad on them. I should note that this was about 14 years ago, and we have stayed with this dealership-and Honda, of course-ever since. Besides, 85,000 miles/135,000km is WAY too early for an automatic transmission that's been even moderately attended to to actually "fail." That looks bad on Honda too.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 02:22 PM

Derned homophones always screw things up. They should be outlawed!!!
They can't get married in California.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 03:08 PM

Besides, 85,000 miles/135,000km is WAY too early for an automatic transmission that's been even moderately attended to to actually "fail." That looks bad on Honda too.
Not for a Honda automatic.

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 06:05 PM

I thought this was clear from other posts. I drive a Mini Cooper S. Automatic (gasp!).

I bought the S for 2 main reasons:

1) I didn't want the CVT in the standard Cooper - I wanted a straight automatic. (The CVT has proven to be less reliable than a straight automatic and have a much higher repair cost.)
2) I wanted a little bit more highway passing power that the supercharged engine provides.

I am EXTREMELY happy with it.

THAT is why you're so defensive. Whatever dude. Can you even drive stick?

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 29, 2010, 06:08 PM

Wait, I thought we were talking about preludes.
Sure. Any car with "sporting pretensions". Not an accord or camry, but a GTI, Mini, WRX, anything that is remotely fun to drive. The manuals will be worth more. You can pretend it's not the case, but it is. Nobody wants the "cool" car with transmission for effeminate males that can't drive stick.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2010, 06:11 PM

never mind

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 06:15 PM

I knew how to drive a stick since I was 8. In my dad's old pickup my brother and I would run the sick shift for him while he did the clutch (couldn't reach the peddles, obviously.) Called us his automatic transmission.

It was funny when I drove my mom's Suburu. I'd never driven an automatic and I kept hitting the break with my left foot as I reached down to shift. It was like I was learning to drive all over again.

*SCREEACH* Sorry. *vroom* *SCREEACH* Sorry. *vroom*

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 06:23 PM

It was funny when I drove my mom's Suburu. I'd never driven an automatic and I kept hitting the break with my left foot as I reached down to shift. It was like I was learning to drive all over again.
Tip for that: Wrap your left leg around the back of your right one (i.e. nearly a one-leg lotus position). Works a treat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules