Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B44 Is Out

Panther 7B44 Is Out (Page 3)
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 10:44 AM

Not sure if this is new - but the System Preferences App is navigable by keyboard (arrow keys) - the selected pane has a highlight halo.

also the low battery panel has been re-done (again )

Also not sure if this is new, but the Universal Access pref pane has an option to whack up the contrast.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 10:58 AM

personally i don't think jobs would have any kind of email so obvious.

maybe it's like
[email protected]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
personally i don't think jobs would have any kind of email so obvious.

maybe it's like
[email protected]
Actually, he do read emails sent to [email protected]

He sent a reply to several people before.

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 11:23 AM

[email protected] definitely is an active email adress. I have heard from several people who complained at this adress about specific problems they had and who - in some cases - were then directly contacted by some higher ranking Apple representative. Someone definitely reads the mail coming to this adress.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Not sure if this is new - but the System Preferences App is navigable by keyboard (arrow keys) - the selected pane has a highlight halo.

Not new. Full Keyboard Access is just turned on by default in Panther.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

SYN
Senior User
Aug 24, 2003, 01:53 PM

do files created in the terminal appear instantly in the finder yet? is the size of items being created/transfered live?

do the .zip archives keep resource forks?

basically, is kqueue/kevent implemented correctly yet? same questions with each builds
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by SYN:
do files created in the terminal appear instantly in the finder yet? is the size of items being created/transfered live?

basically, is kqueue/kevent implemented correctly yet? same questions with each builds
Grrr.... need to know how to use kqueue/kevent...

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by simifilm:
[email protected] definitely is an active email adress. I have heard from several people who complained at this adress about specific problems they had and who - in some cases - were then directly contacted by some higher ranking Apple representative. Someone definitely reads the mail coming to this adress.
[email protected] is valid as well It is his secretary who reads his emails and sorts through them - a complaint I sent about Appleworks came back to me after (looking at the quoting in the email) being forwarded to many project managers etc, the response I got was actually from the head of software management.

Anyhow, back to 7B44 - can you get internet sharing to stick, so that it activates when you connect to the internet?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by SYN:
Yes.
Vandelay Industries

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
New feature: DVD player De-interlaces Interlaced video automatically now .
Nice. I was hoping maybe the did some work on scaling video too, taking advantage of QE and Altivec. Maybe they could even make use of ffdshow.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
Not new. Full Keyboard Access is just turned on by default in Panther.
I thinnk its new. I've got full keyboard access on here on my PowerBook in 10.2. Yet, I can't navigate the SystemPrefs via keyboard - not in the way shown in the pic.

NY152
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
BS, (sorry, no offense). [email protected] is the way to go.

Steve
Steve my appologies you are correct.

I have heard that this address even though it is indeed Steve Job's is first screened by a group of assistants to weed out the noise before he sees anything.

I am sure he has a direct email address which is more obscure in its naming.

NY152
<over-large signature edited by management>

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
I thinnk its new. I've got full keyboard access on here on my PowerBook in 10.2. Yet, I can't navigate the SystemPrefs via keyboard - not in the way shown in the pic.
Nope, not new. You can do that in Jag. Make sure you have all controls enabled.
Vandelay Industries

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

And he was probably the main reason Apple Canada changed my Ti667 to a Ti867, after 667 gave in to too many repairs...

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 09:23 PM

sure, but how do you select one of them? you can't. At least I haven't been able to figure out the key to open up one of the preference panes.

also the low battery panel has been re-done (again )

Also not sure if this is new, but the Universal Access pref pane has an option to whack up the contrast.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 09:26 PM

Labels in 10.3 build 44

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 09:30 PM

Also beginning in build 39 the fonts used in displaying finder filenames was condensed more. For the first few minutes it seemed wierd, but now going back to 10.2 or previous build just seems harder to read. The new condensed version seems to actually be easier to read.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
sure, but how do you select one of them? you can't. At least I haven't been able to figure out the key to open up one of the preference panes.
Same as any other window control. You tab to the one you want and hit the space key.
Vandelay Industries

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 11:09 PM

Here is a list of bugs and just stupid stuff I found in Panther 7B44 that I think should be fixed before release. I figure, it's getting late in development, might as well get picky!

- In the Dock, when a Application is already hidden and you control click on an Application in the Dock, the menu still says "Hide" when it should say "Show", even though you just have to click the icon to show. Oh well, BUT, should be fixed!

- The FileVault icon in the Security tab in the Accounts pane is fuzzy. It almost looks like a highly compressed JPG. Yuck!

- In the Finder Prefrences you can turn off all of the HDs, CDs, Network, and stuff. But then in the Finder Sidebar, all you get is a line. Shouldn't this line disappear if nothing is above it?

- In Disk Copy in Jaguar, we got a menu when we control clicked on the Dock icon with features. In Disk Utilities in 10.3, we lost those features.

- When the Dock is on the left, the menu alignment is off. Simple fix ;p

- Quicktime buttons were redone in 10.3, but the buttons do not match yet. The X - + are too black.

- This is my biggest fear. Some apps are fixed now, abut others are not...weird. BUT, in save panels for applications if you have an Application(such as Mail) in it, you can save into Mail. But it is in the package Contents. This will really scare people who are new users...or even me when i can't find my stuff if I click the wrong button! Yikes!!!!!!!!

- Some Utilities and apps still have the old unlock and lock icons. Should be replaced to match the new ones.

- In the Finder prefs, there is a weird line that appears once in a while. Picky ;p

Like I said folks, these are extremely picky things and I KNOW I am gonna hear **** about this.

Enjoy the screens.

Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 11:16 PM

Labels in 10.3 build 44

Wow. In that view labels makes much more sense. Otherwise in icon view I prefer the old implementation.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2003, 11:19 PM

Anything in Font Book changed in this build by chance?

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2003, 12:19 AM

Nothing that I can see, are you looking for something in particular?

Originally posted by gorickey:
Anything in Font Book changed in this build by chance?

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2003, 12:29 AM

Icon Labels View:

It also should be noted that in build 44 the file system was regressed. In previous builds the desktop would automatically update when new files were saved to it. In this build it doesn't happen. This is also why build 44 fixes the trashcan not appearing empty bug, because Apple took out the automatic updating in the finder. I assume it will return in a future build.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2003, 06:01 AM

Like I said folks, these are extremely picky things and I KNOW I am gonna hear **** about this.
No, you are not, most Mac users are very picky and hard for Apple but also that makes the Mac such a good product. I sure as hell hope they fix all that stuff decently.

SYN
Senior User
Aug 25, 2003, 06:17 AM

It also should be noted that in build 44 the file system was regressed. In previous builds the desktop would automatically update when new files were saved to it. In this build it doesn't happen. This is also why build 44 fixes the trashcan not appearing empty bug, because Apple took out the automatic updating in the finder. I assume it will return in a future build.
The desktop and Finder update just as fast as in previous builds, ie immediately for most files created by gui apps, but only when you clic on the window for cli apps on my computer..... Do you have reasons to believe what you said other than the trash not being buggy anymore?
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 07:48 AM

Hmm - perhaps I should get a bigger iPod

Moose
Senior User
Aug 25, 2003, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Here is a list of bugs and just stupid stuff I found in Panther 7B44 that I think should be fixed before release. I figure, it's getting late in development, might as well get picky!
http://bugreporter.apple.com/

Spaztik
Aug 25, 2003, 08:06 AM

I was wondering if they fixed the icon selection thing... I don't like the selected icons in Panther 7B28 because the box was too condensed and the little blue hilite over the name sucks... In 7B28 the "little blue name hilite" was too condense too so things like lowercase "y"s and "g" and stuff would STICK out of the "little blue name hilite" and you would actually see some of the shadow...

I really hope Apple makes it possible to turn off this "feature" somehow... I don't know why they just couldn't leave it the way it was... I'm sure Panther is still gonna rock... and I am sure that whatever bugs people someone will make a 3rd party utility that turns off or fixes the things I hate about the Mac OS...

Also, did they do anything to the floating application switcher "cmd-tab" thing? That is the uglies thing I have ever seen... so I just use LiteSwitchX (it actually comes with options)

Also, this bugs me alot... the FINDER ICON... talk about YUCK... Oh man... I can't believe they took a photo-realistic icon and made it into something that I could whip up in minutes... it's so sad... but, I know how to replace it, so I am all set, but others may not know... Apple should just leave stuff that's (good) alone and only change stuff that (sucks).

I'm not too happy with the scroll bars, progress bars, and title bar widgets either... Why do they still look like they came from Mac OS X Beta? Oh, they changed the title bar widgets, but they are still the old style... just sunken in... (by the way, I think they look jagged and dull compared to the rest of the system) The Scroll Bars and Progress Bars look blurry and so does the "Login Items" icon in System Preferences...

Sorry to waste your time... you can continue reading the rest of the posts... I think I let all my questions out. Please give me some feedback.
"Once you go Max, you never go bax!"

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Spaztik:
The Scroll Bars and Progress Bars look blurry and so does the "Login Items" icon in System Preferences...
You'd be happy to know that there are no more Login Items icon in the System Preferences then.

I don't see what your problems with the widgets are though. Although they could have refined the progress bar a bit, I like the way that it makes the progress seem faster even though it's standing still

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2003, 09:02 AM

Hmm - perhaps I should get a bigger iPod
That dialog is *so* necessary.

Witness the weekly "Mail/SysPrefs/anything else lost all my Preferences!" threads.

I'm glad it's finally coming in Panther.

-s*

diamondsw
Senior User
Aug 25, 2003, 10:19 AM

<lots of great screenshots clipped>

Enjoy the screens.

I don't know why we'd get on your case for these - that's the kind of attention to detail we would expect from Apple. I hope you submitted all of these as feedback?

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
I don't know why we'd get on your case for these - that's the kind of attention to detail we would expect from Apple. I hope you submitted all of these as feedback?
I would love to but I am not a *cough cough* member. If someone else would for me(all of us actually) it would be great!

ok.. NOW, I will here it!

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2003, 01:02 PM

...It also should be noted that in build 44 the file system was regressed. In previous builds the desktop would automatically update when new files were saved to it. In this build it doesn't happen. This is also why build 44 fixes the trashcan not appearing empty bug, because Apple took out the automatic updating in the finder. I assume it will return in a future build.
Possibly they will not have it in the final Panther release but in a 10.3.x release. Apple is known to take out features if they are not progressing well enough by a set date.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Spaztik:
Also, this bugs me alot... the FINDER ICON... talk about YUCK... Oh man... I can't believe they took a photo-realistic icon and made it into something that I could whip up in minutes... it's so sad...
posted this in another forum under my
other nick there (info for some people, ahum)

the new icon is actually not new but its the
original icon from the now classic Mac OS
and well, I thinks its kinda cool that they
went retro (didnt copy paste, this time)
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2003, 05:37 PM

The finder icon? Come-on, get over it. Change it to suite your needs. Your one of the six people who apple's not going to please in this manner

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 06:32 PM

yeh, just save the one from 10.2 and apply
that

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2003, 06:54 PM

The 10.3 one is sexier, but your free to hack it back how you personally want it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2003, 08:12 PM

what does the new finder icon look like?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2003, 08:23 PM

brainchild, I was reffering to people
who do not like it...

I like it!

Sexy sexy, LOL

see the new icon here and lots of talk about it
(turning into a small war overthere, LOL)
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...&pagenumber=14
( Last edited by iFix Rene; Aug 25, 2003 at 08:45 PM. )

nforcer
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 08:40 PM

No one should give you **** for that at all. Those are glaring, but easy-to-fix interface problems that should not be dealt with in any piece of software, much less an Operating System. They are the equivalent of typos and grammatical errors in a detailed essay, to an extent.

The more mistakes like this you find, and the more you report them (to Apple, and to a lesser extent, us), the better it is for all of us. Everyone stands to benefit when people really demand quality from what they use.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2003, 09:45 PM

Check labels out in the open/save dialogs! Never noticed till now

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
No one should give you **** for that at all. Those are glaring, but easy-to-fix interface problems that should not be dealt with in any piece of software, much less an Operating System. They are the equivalent of typos and grammatical errors in a detailed essay, to an extent.

The more mistakes like this you find, and the more you report them (to Apple, and to a lesser extent, us), the better it is for all of us. Everyone stands to benefit when people really demand quality from what they use.
Well, the really sad part is(and don't yell at me!) I am not a ADC member so I can't report these! I would love to have someone report them though.

In 10.2, there is actually a spelling error in Disk Utility, in one of the tabs that says "the the" twice. Anyway, I am a person who tends to pick up on these little details.. and they drive me nuts.

For instance, go to your menu bar and hold down on a menu and without letting up drag over to the right(by Time and Sound menus). All the menu pull down... but now try to drag back to the other side again without letting up. No menus come down! Same thing if you drag from the right to the left, no menus come down. This has been in there since 10.0.

Also, I can tell the difference between cocao apps and carbon apps just by looking at the buttons and scroll arrows.

Am I obsessed... no, I just like my system perfect. MB I should join ADC. But too late now. I would really like someone to report those bugs though!

Thanks for reading.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 11:31 PM

For instance, go to your menu bar and hold down on a menu and without letting up drag over to the right(by Time and Sound menus). All the menu pull down... but now try to drag back to the other side again without letting up. No menus come down! Same thing if you drag from the right to the left, no menus come down. This has been in there since 10.0.
That will be a hard one to overcome because app menus and menu extras are not controlled by the same process. The app controls its own menus. The SystemUIServer controls menu extras.
Vandelay Industries

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2003, 11:31 PM

I like the new system font!!!! its awesome!
remembers me the OS/2 v4 menu font.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by moreno:
I like the new system font!!!! its awesome!
remembers me the OS/2 v4 menu font.
What's different about it? It still looks like Lucida Grande to me.
Vandelay Industries

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2003, 12:44 AM

It's an ICON... get over it!

I swear to god some Mac zealots can be such dorks when it comes to their beloved user interface... u bitched at Aqua for a while, you bitched at the Aqua refinements in Jaguar, you bitched a little at the refinements in Panther, and now you're bitching at something that is so inconsequential it makes some of us ill... You people have tooooooo much time on your hands if you're worrying about an icon in a dock that you'll press maybe twice a day and can change at any second.... Hell i just wasted 20 minutes reading the stuff at Appleinsider where one man was complaining the eyes were off centre by 3 pixels....... I mean jeeze people. Either live with it and shut up, or change it and be happy.

It really is just *that* simple.

-Telusman
"No ma'am i'm not angry at you, I'm angry at the cruel twist of fate that directed your call to my extension..."

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2003, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Telusman:

I swear to god some Mac zealots can be such dorks when it comes to their beloved user interface... u bitched at Aqua for a while, you bitched at the Aqua refinements in Jaguar, you bitched a little at the refinements in Panther, and now you're bitching at something that is so inconsequential it makes some of us ill... You people have tooooooo much time on your hands if you're worrying about an icon in a dock that you'll press maybe twice a day and can change at any second.... Hell i just wasted 20 minutes reading the stuff at Appleinsider where one man was complaining the eyes were off centre by 3 pixels....... I mean jeeze people. Either live with it and shut up, or change it and be happy.

-Telusman
I was thinking that may be there was something wrong about me when I saw your post. What a relief.

Thank you. Seriously.

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2003, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Absolutely! I sent an email once to this email address, explaining the delivery problems of the PowerBook here in Norway (that was back with the 400Mhz I believe).

I worked in a Norwegian Mac store then, and was called back a couple of days later by Apple Europe. They wanted to know more about it, and were very serious about fixing it.

So, yes, someone IS reading [email protected]. Probably not Steve, but someone with enough authority to get things moving...
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

Wickedkitten
Aug 26, 2003, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by Telusman:

-Telusman
don't forget about the bitching about the metal finder!

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2003, 07:02 AM

the metal Finder offcourse is a bit more
'drastic' change then the Findericon and
the few pixels, imo anyway

by the way anybody here into applying themes? A new one is coming soon!
Sweeeet!
( Last edited by iFix Rene; Aug 26, 2003 at 11:12 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules