Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > ThinkSecret Says 1gb Flash iPod for $149

ThinkSecret Says 1gb Flash iPod for $149
pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 11:37 AM

2gb for $199.

Wow, if true.

"Road to Expo: Flash-based iPod days away

January 6, 2005 - Apple's long-rumored flash-based iPod will be introduced at Macworld Expo in 1GB and likely 2GB versions, Think Secret has confirmed. Various details regarding the device have emerged days before Apple CEO Steve Jobs is set to unveil the tiny music player during his keynote address. Rapidly falling flash prices have enabled Apple to buy 1GB modules from Samsung at a relatively low cost, sources report, which in turn will allow Apple to sell the device for $149. Sources have also suggested that a 2GB version, packing two tiny 1GB flash modules, may sell for $199"

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0501expo4.html
i look in your general direction

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 12:02 PM

no details on the controls, but suggests there'll be a screen slightly shorter, but same width as a mini.

I have a 40GB 3G iPod, but I'd be tempted if they had a good form factor, to get a small flash one for workout purposes... (I actually really liked the idea of the milano cookie-shaped/sized screenless iPod that was mocked up on some site a while ago...)
cpac

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 12:18 PM

I thought that was neat too, like you say for the gym, where the iPod can be a bit of trouble, at least for me (staying clipped on, not being damaged). Something small would be great.

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2005, 12:28 PM

Somehow, I can't fathom this happening. However, I will place my order the very day they are announced, if I can get a 2GB for $200. That's an absolute steal! I've been wanting a flash based player for so long
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2005, 04:40 PM

�Some sources have suggested that device will forgo Apple's ClickWheel, featured on the iPod mini and 4G iPod, and will instead have more buttons, like the first generation iPod.�
If no clickwheel, then why should I buy it? That is the quintessential feature of the successful iPod.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2005, 02:52 AM

Gotta keep the click wheel or come up with something even better (like that's possible).
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 01:49 PM

i like this mockup of the ipod "micro"
half way down the page

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Forbodium:
If no clickwheel, then why should I buy it? That is the quintessential feature of the successful iPod.
so far.

If anybody can make a good design without a clickwheel though, It's apple, (and a clickwheeel definitely constrains size/shape quite a bit)
cpac

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by dav:
half way down the page
it looks good in the picture, but how the hell would you actually hold that thing?

in current models, the clickwheel works nicely because you have enough iPod below the clickwheel to hold onto while using your thumb to navigate the scrollwheel.

this mock up eliminates that, and so I'm not sure you could really operate it all that easily with one hand...
cpac

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 03:23 PM

half way down the page
No chance, it is too small. They can't get much smaller than the Miniand have an adult be able to hold it right. I still say that the flash iPod is just the Mini Rev2 and they are changing to flash instead of an HDD.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 10:16 AM

half way down the page

Nah .. that doesnt hold a candle to this one

http://gallery.ipodlounge.com/ipod/a...oad_296548.jpg

this one has lust factor .. I'd find some way to get my hands on one of these...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

dav
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Nah .. that doesnt hold a candle to this one

http://gallery.ipodlounge.com/ipod/a...oad_296548.jpg

this one has lust factor .. I'd find some way to get my hands on one of these...

like that one too

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2005, 12:35 PM

like that one too
again though, the shape looks like you'll need 2 hands to operate it (at least if you want to see the screen)
cpac

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2005, 08:44 AM

Why would or should a flash iPod be any smaller than a regular iPod?
I would like to see a flash iPod with incredible battery life more that incredible storage capacity.
This is just what I want.

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2005, 08:46 AM

like that one too
I want the Red one

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Buck_Naked:
I want the Red one

i'd take the powerbook matching aluminum!

rumor has it that the new one will have no screen, no clickwheel... possibly playlist/shuffle only? check the lounge...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 10:33 AM

I hope it has a usb stub so I can use it for storage too. USB storage for $149 AND play iTMS songs? I'm in!

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 12:22 PM

Knowing the rumors were out there, we gave my 12-year-old daughter for Christmas money toward a future ipod, either this one -- if it panned out -- or a mini. I told her this morning that today was the day we'd find out if the rumors were true. She's pretty excited -- and this, despite the fact that she currently is using her dad's now-retired 2nd gen ipod. (I gave him a shiny new one for Christmas!) And she likes the 2nd gen one, but you can tell she really wants a mini or one of the new ones. In fact, the other two (older) girls and I have minis -- and no one, including me, who should know better, wants to give up her mini for the much larger capacity old one. It's kind of funny -- and goes straight to the heart of why the mini is such a big seller. Yes, we can have the old one. No one wants it. I told my daughter the rumor was the new one, if it's real, would hold about 250 songs. She thought that was fine.

So we'll see -- but I'll be very interested to hear what comes out of SF. And a 12-year-old is, too.

pliny  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 03:03 PM

HOLY CRAP

One More Thing -- the iPod shuffle

Apple's latest digital music device, the iPod shuffle, is shaped like a long, thin rectangle with beveled edges. It has a headphone jack on the top. Clad in white with a grey button interface laid out similarly to the iPod and iPod mini's clickwheel. It measures smaller than a pack of gum and weighs less than four quarters. Available in 512MB for US$99, or 1GB for $149.

"We are shipping them out of the factory starting today," said Jobs.

A cap on the bottom hides a USB 2.0 connector. You pop it off and plug it in to a PC or Mac's available port. An optional lanyard lets you wear it around your neck. Apple says the iPod shuffle's battery lasts about 12 hours per charge.

"Autofill" is a new feature in iTunes that will automatically build a playlist that will fit on your iPod shuffle.

iPod marketshare has doubled since January 2004 from 31 to 65 percent, while flash memory-based players have dwindled from 63 percent to 29 percent. "The iPod mini worked," said Jobs. And the next step is for Apple to go after the flash market, he added.

"Shuffling" songs is an enormously popular way for portable music listeners to listen to their songs, according to Jobs, hence the name.

Apple is also introducing a line of $29 accessories that include an armband, dock, sports case and 20-hour battery extender. They will be available in the next four weeks.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Jan 11, 2005, 03:32 PM

iPod shuffle - well then, let's see if this makes as much of an indent in the flash player market as iPod did in the "big boy" hdd-based market. or even more so? $99 for an iPod, this might turn some heads...

really looking forward to getting my hands on one and testdrive it!

I think the products announced were up to expectations - at least to mine they were - even if the two big surprises sort of leaked before. but hey, these products seem to be pretty awesome, still!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2005, 03:34 PM

Howee kwap is right. I don't think anyone saw that $99 price point coming.

Jobs just kicked the competition in the nads. Sony's hurting now.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
Yes, we can have the old one. No one wants it.
I'll take it off your hands

FTrain
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 05:02 PM

Oh my. I want to see it, and use it and get a feel for it before I have a coronary over it, but it's impossible for me to believe they didn't just blow the remaining competition clear out of the water with this one.

Who wants to be the a**hole sporting a Rio or Dell Jukebox now? How would you look your kid in the eyes if you gave them anything other than an iPod as a gift now? With a $99 option, what excuse would you have? "Sorry sweetie, but Mommy's cheap AND stupid."

OperaMan
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 07:58 PM

They said too much , link.

Forum Links
Forum Rules