Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Captain America: The Winter Soldier & Marvel Universe Tie-ins

Captain America: The Winter Soldier & Marvel Universe Tie-ins
finboy
Apr 5, 2014, 08:02 PM

Just saw this yesterday, it was fantastic. These Marvel Universe movies just keep getting better and better.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2014, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Just saw this yesterday, it was fantastic. These Marvel Universe movies just keep getting better and better.

What other recent ones have you liked? I've been feeling pretty low on superhero movies lately - pretty much the exact opposite of you, from the sounds of things.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2014, 04:38 AM

Excellent movie, ties in with the show Agents of Shield very well, too.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

finboy  (op)
Apr 7, 2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What other recent ones have you liked? I've been feeling pretty low on superhero movies lately - pretty much the exact opposite of you, from the sounds of things.
I thought the second Thor was meh, but I like the original Spiderman trilogy, Captain America, Thor, Avengers, the Iron Man films - they're on a roll. Sure, there are some weak ones in there, but for the most part they rocked.

The Dark Knight stuff was pretty good.

Kick-A$$ was a great movie, the second one not too bad.

Watchmen? It had its moments.

Other things based on comic books, not so much.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I thought the second Thor was meh, but I like the original Spiderman trilogy, Captain America, Thor, Avengers, the Iron Man films - they're on a roll. Sure, there are some weak ones in there, but for the most part they rocked.

The Dark Knight stuff was pretty good.

Kick-A$$ was a great movie, the second one not too bad.

Watchmen? It had its moments.

Other things based on comic books, not so much.

I'm probably getting my Marvel and DC universes mixed up. I was mostly completely unimpressed with any post-Reeves Superman, the most recent Iron Man, Wolverine, and even the most recent Batman and Spiderman reboot movies to some extent. Most people, including myself, didn't seem to like Spiderman III either. Even though the most recent Star Trek movie isn't a superhero movie, it played the same way, I didn't like it either.

I'm most tired of any movie that lacks any real depth and just tells the same tired story replacing any sort of compelling story element with brainless CGI explosions and violence ala Michael Bay.

mindwaves
Apr 8, 2014, 02:37 AM

Is it just me or when I was a child, I barely even heard of Captain America and Thor? Spiderman, Batman, X-men, sure, but Thor and Captain America, not so much. Doesn't entice me enough to go see it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2014, 04:03 PM

all Superhero movies = too much ponderous bang smash thump at the end. Superman very much so, Thor 2 also, Cap A and Avengers also also. Iron Man 3 really really also.

Would like to see more intelligent endings
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
all Superhero movies = too much ponderous bang smash thump at the end. Superman very much so, Thor 2 also, Cap A and Avengers also also. Iron Man 3 really really also.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2014, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post

Agreed. Superhero movies I liked, and why:

- Spiderman 2: really got into the character's turmoil, the love/responsibility thing, I liked the West Side Story train scene where the civilians paid homage to Spiderman. The civilian population is often overlooked in superhero movies, in some cases ridiculously so.

- Dark Knight: I liked Joker being portrayed as a complete psychopath with some real intellect and depth to him. I liked the choices he forced Batman to make

- Original X-Men: mostly because they paved the way to explore mutants and humans co-existing, including the entire Heroes TV series (which apparently is going to come back)

- Original Superman: explored the premise of a God that wanted to be a man, surrounded by men that probably would have preferred to be a God. Plus, there is so much nostalgic value in Superman I and II for me. III and IV sucked

- Original Iron Man: it was somewhat interesting how a normal guy without powers used his intellect and wealth to become more than he was. The same can be said for Batman, although Iron Man is kind of more interesting to me in this sense since his motivations are more narcissistic

Super hero movies work best when there are real dilemmas and story elements at play, not just the bad guy having all of these powers and are generically evil for generic reasons (e.g. interest in world conquest) that need to be overcome via brute force and a bazillion explosions and punches and stuff.

andi*pandi
Apr 8, 2014, 05:32 PM

Even though I saw it coming, I liked the villain plot twist in Iron Man 3. That movie could have been a lot smarter (really, invite the bad guy to your home address?) but it was still enjoyable. Tony Stark got cut down a peg or two.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2014, 09:34 PM

Agents of Shield tonight... *jaw drops*
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Apr 9, 2014, 08:31 AM

I feel a little spoiled for Capt America, but yes, game-changer. Classic Whedon.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2014, 02:20 PM

I thought I knew who the traitor on the team was, but I was 100% wrong.

- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Apr 10, 2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I thought I knew who the traitor on the team was, but I was 100% wrong.

I may have to go out and see Winter Soldier. Do I need to see Thor2 to follow along? Haven't seen that yet.

finboy  (op)
Apr 11, 2014, 10:27 AM

Thor2 is mostly about Thor. It gives a starting point for Avengers 2 I think, but doesn't fit in to this stuff so much.

I forgot about the X-Men stuff. Most of that was meh too, but I really liked the idea of Ryan Reynolds as DeadPool. Perfect casting. Too bad nobody followed through on that.

At Captain America they showed the trailer for Guardians, and boy does it look dumb. So, as with anything else (such as Star Trek), the successful comic book movies will generate enough ca$h to let them make some poor or poorly-conceived ones (Antman?). The cycle continues.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2014, 02:52 PM

That's what the Guardians comic is like, slapstick comedy and action, the trailer captures the feel of it perfectly.
- Thomas Paine

mindwaves
Apr 14, 2014, 08:15 AM

I watched it today. Better than expected, but some parts were confusing to me. I will give it 7/10.

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2014, 12:38 PM

Saw Thor this weekend. Pretty good fun.

Latest Agents of Shield?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2014, 07:04 PM

Thor's okay, either film. It's basic Marvel popcorn filler, and I'll take that over most other crap that comes out, any day of the week. The movie snobs around here can just suck it.
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2014, 11:35 AM

I was bored to tears by the first Captain America, but everyone seems to be raving about Winter Soldier. Guess I'll have to give him another chance.

I think it goes without saying that Captain America is the dumbest Marvel character on The Avengers, am I right?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2014, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I think it goes without saying that Captain America is the dumbest Marvel character on The Avengers, am I right?
Depends what you mean by dumbest. Hawkeye is worthless.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2014, 11:55 AM

I figured I would give the new one a shot this past weekend...to prepare I watched the first one on Netflix....got about an hour into it and realized that I had seen it before. The whole thing. Totally couldn't remember anything about it.

I turned it off and didn't watch the new one this past weekend.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Depends what you mean by dumbest. Hawkeye is worthless.
Ahhhhh! I forgot about Hawkeye.

andi*pandi
Apr 23, 2014, 12:16 PM

Depends, do you call giving the bad guys your address and double daring them for a visit, DUMB, or just incredibly arrogant?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2014, 12:21 PM

No one would blame you.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2014, 02:16 PM

Apparently so did the producers of Cap America: TWS. Clint Barton is a SHIELD agent, and Black Widow's boy toy, but apparently he didn't care enough about either to show up and help save the world. I was very disappointed in him.

Oh well, last night's MAS was the best yet, lots of thick palpable tension, and it's gaining steam with each episode now.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Depends, do you call giving the bad guys your address and double daring them for a visit, DUMB, or just incredibly arrogant?
No one has ever accused Tony Stark of have too much common sense.
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Apr 30, 2014, 01:10 PM

I'm with Coulson: Huh.

Good ep. Skye not as clever as I hoped, but hey.

Forum Links
Forum Rules