Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Iomega Zip Disk on 10.12?

Iomega Zip Disk on 10.12?
andi*pandi
May 12, 2021, 07:30 PM

From what MacRumors posters say, you should be able to plug a zip drive in and have it appear on the desktop...

USB iomega zip drive, power cord, plugged into iMac 2013 usb port, various disks... 2 clicks and whirring but no icon on desktop. Disk Utility does not recognize the drive.

Tried 2010 mac pro, also 10.12, same.

should I put all this in the trash, hammering the disks in case anyone with a working drive finds them and wants my circa 2002 fonts and freehand files?

Thorzdad
May 13, 2021, 07:31 AM

Those things are so finicky. It could be the discs themselves, or you might actually have a drive that has fallen to the click-of-death. I have a USB Zip drive around here somewhere (which actually worked the last time I tried it). I'd be more than happy to try the discs for you, if you think they'd survive the trip in shipping.

andi*pandi  (op)
May 13, 2021, 10:00 AM

It worked the last time I used it, but that was several years ago. I remember the click of death being unrelenting clicking, not two clicks and a whir.

Thanks for the offer! I have a 10.9 laptop I will try next... before shipping.

andi*pandi  (op)
May 13, 2021, 12:39 PM

I tried it on older laptops running 10.6 and 10.9, and still no mounting, same behavior. I wondered if the usb cable was an issue, but when I closed the macbook the zip powered down so it seemed to know if it was connected.

Ah well.

ghporter
Administrator
May 13, 2021, 04:46 PM

andi, I have to agree that the iOmega technology is flakey and not terribly dependable. I don’t know whether it’s as a crappy driver issue, a hardware being screwy issue, or a media issue. It could easily be all of them. One reason other technologies eclipsed the Zip disc was that they worked - cross platform - and did so dependably.

The only external Zip drive I have has a parallel port interface - which says how old that thing is. But all is not lost for that stack of old Zip discs I have on a shelf. I don’t have a huge urgency to do this, but I can get it done.

I have an old Dell laptop that has two bays; you can put batteries, floppy drives, and even a Zip drive in those bays, and somehow I wisely bought a Dell Zip drive for it.

Of course it runs Windows 98, and has USB 1.1 ports, so this won’t be a speedy process. But I will be able to transfer all of my Zip data to something more useable.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2021, 03:41 AM

Greetings from a member of the Jaz master race.

Forum Links
Forum Rules