Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > My home network not appearing on guest's computer

My home network not appearing on guest's computer
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2013, 04:41 PM

I have a home network setup using Time Capsule. We have a guest with us this weekend but the network is NOT showing up on their PC laptop. Anyone know why or what we might be able to do?

This isn't overly critical, but I'm curious in case this happens again in the future. Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2013, 07:33 PM

You could have your Time Capsule set to not broadcast the SSID. Try enabling your Guest Network; if they can see that, it's probably just the SSID being hidden, but if they can't, it might be a problem with their wireless card or your Time Capsule. In that case, restart the TC and see what happens.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2013, 05:36 PM

Other possibility might be that it's set to only broadcast 802.11n standard, or even in the 5GHz frequency band, and the PC might only have b/g or only 2.4 GHz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules