Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad Air vs iPad 1

iPad Air vs iPad 1
andi*pandi
Jul 10, 2014, 03:56 PM

So, as a kind of bonus (and so I can test the most recent versions of our websites/apps) my work has bought me an ipad air, to replace the aging ipad 1. Yippee! Now, to download all those iOS7 games, er, I mean work apps...

The screen on the air is lovely, woohoo a camera, and it is lighter... I migrated the most important apps over and have tried to use them. However, I still find myself gravitating towards the old ipad. Maybe it's the case, it's a little easier to grip the booq... maybe I just have to give it more time.

So, any cool nifty iOS7 things I should download? cases I should try?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 10, 2014, 04:40 PM

Hey, I hear that there's this place called MacNN. They might have some suggestions in their review section!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2014, 05:26 PM

You mean the one with the Mac Pro review listed under software?

I-ku-u
Jul 11, 2014, 07:33 PM

I did exactly the same upgrade shortly after the Air came out. I had the full coverage Apple case for the iPad 1 and I decided to maximize my weight savings and I went with Apple's smart cover (not a full case) for the Air.

I definitely had a period where I had to adjust my iPad holding habits, but that was short. I had to adjust my grip every so often with the iPad 1 when I held it for a long time due to finger or wrist fatigue and i've yet to notice any fatigue with the Air. I'm quite happy with that change.

The only downsides I've noticed with the transition are:
1) the smart cover keeps the screen clear of smudges, except for where it hinges, so I have two lines of smudging visible across the screen in some lighting conditions,
2) the pitch of the noise from tapping on the Air is higher than on the iPad 1, and in a quiet environment is so noticeable that it actually was annoying to me 'til I got used to after a few months.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2014, 01:20 AM

I don't miss the weight of the v1, but I prefer that size bezel.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2014, 12:48 PM

The v1 iPad was heavy, clunky and slow enough that I did not use it that much. After replacing it with the lighter Air and iOS 7 I now use the Air 10x as much as the older device, especially lots of ereading.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jul 21, 2014, 01:24 PM

I am getting used to the Air... I think part of it also is not wanting to "get a scratch on the new car." So old ipad will get used by children, and in damp conditions. My daughter dropped the old ipad yesterday, no cracks no nothing.

The battery life on this thing is impressive! Almost a week with light use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules