Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > *** Signature Guidelines

*** Signature Guidelines (Page 6)
L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 12:40 PM

What are we really arguing about here? Saving some modem user 1 second on loading a page? I'd just like to point out that while my sig is a little beyond the accepted rules, it is extremely cool.

Also, if I post twice in the same thread, I usually turn off sig in the following posts so as not to be overbearing..

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 12:42 PM

when when I want to see this

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Worst. Episode. Ever.
Senior User
Sep 17, 2002, 12:58 PM

xi_hyperon, great stuff. you deserve the post of the day award for that one.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 01:17 PM

DemonHood seems to think I'm some sort of instigator of trouble. Atleast I'm sooo bad he had to lock me out of my profile.

Why doesn't he just ban graphic sigs?

For the record, I think that every sig on these boards (maybe not all of 'em, but most) are within reason and don't bother anyone. Except whiney people who have nothing better to do but whine over what other members do.

I guess I'm gonna get banned, so I might as well get banned now. Problem is, how do I get banned? First we'll see what a few flags will do. I mean no harm to other users. This is simply a protest. One that I wouldn't have to do if I could change my sig.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 17, 2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
Except whiney people who have nothing better to do but whine over what other members do.
is that the same as whiney members who whine over what administrators do?

go play with some broken glass, or something
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 01:51 PM

Yup, same ones

I just want to change my profile. I'm willing to abide by the guidelines.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Sep 17, 2002, 01:55 PM

some of you are certainly taking this seriously. or at least you wish it to appear so. you think you'll be less of a net cowboy if you give in to the big bad evil board admin? i'm sorry if getting called on being in violation of board policy irked you. but dems the rules. if you want the rules changed, present your argument in a calm manner. but only after you comply with our current guidelines. it's not that big of a deal. just resize your image, remove it completely, or use some text instead.

for anybody that has read this entire thread (congrats), you'll know that Misha (the former main admin) temporarily disabled images in signatures because there were so many flagrant violations. i haven't done that. yet. but all this complaining over something so petty (and easy to fix) doesn't seem to bode well for members on this board.

as for this being out of the blue, well, it is and it isn't. i bump this thread every few months (still looking for the file to edit to get this in the User Center). i send PMs to people who are in violation at least a couple times a month. but i can't always keep up. so occasionally i have to do it in one big shot. and that's why this thread is sticky, why some people have their profile locked, and why the sig violator image was created.

i think i said everything i needed to say on the first page of this thread. but i'll recap/revise right here:

From my 12-10-2001 Post on page 1
No matter what the size restrictions are, some people will complain. Why? Because they like to complain. They like to "fight the power" in the name of their constitutional right to do whatever they damn well please. This is not to say everyone that complains about this is believes that. There are a few reasoned responses above. But even if I changed the restrictions to 100x500 tomorrow, someone would scream out "censorhip! let the sigs be free! you dirty nazi!" We ask people politely to change their sigs if we find them outside the acceptable range (or indecent). Yet people still cry fowl and reserve their right to post any image they want to. You know what, you don't have that right. We've been pretty nice about all this. Some of you have just blown it out of proportions in an attempt to cause a fuss and draw attention to yourself. Cuz hey, who doesn't want to be a "fight the power" rebel?

We might change the pixel restrictions in the future. We've been debating it off and on for awhile. But you need to comply with the current guidelines first. In the meantime, here are some hard and fast rules for you to ponder:

1) height is definitely a more important consideration than width. if we changed anything, it'd be the width restrictions.
2) the less than 10k rule isn't going to change. despite what some would have you believe, they don't stay in cache forever. some of us do a lot of web browsing, thereby displacing the old cache with new material.
3) animated is never going to be allowed. it is visually distracting. i'm here for the text of the messages on the boards. anything else is extraneous.
4) if someone posts an inline image (not in their sig) that's too big, we typically ask them to make it a thumbnail or just a link. this is both in consideration for modem users, and to make sure the image doesn't prop the window open.
5) there's nothing wrong with size restrictions. if you can't figure out something to put into a 40x140 box, then put some text in your sig instead.
6) if we don't have rules about dimensions, then whenever a user is asked to change his/her sig image, they'll say "hey, username29188 didn't get asked! his is huge and ugly!" that'll only perpetuate the idea that favoritism is in play. btw, there is no favoritism in this at all. people who were asked to change their sig were asked because we noticed their image and realized it was out of bounds. some people were asked several times and still did not comply. then they turn around and call me a nazi for politely asking them and not locking their profile. fair huh.
7) as someone pointed out above, signatures are an easy way to identify a user (a distinct graphic is much easier to recall than a name, at least for me). so disabling signatures altogether in your User Center isn't an acceptable choice for many.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
. and that's why this thread is sticky...
Demonhood, in case you mentioned this because of my earlier post, it was only an attempt at humor, nothing more. Slow day at work today.

MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2002, 02:20 PM

( Last edited by MadMacs; Oct 5, 2002 at 03:36 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 17, 2002, 02:23 PM

Eh, I am over it now. It will just make it a bit harder to make a neat sig with the missing 6 pixels that was taken away from me.

;-)

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Sep 17, 2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:

Demonhood, in case you mentioned this because of my earlier post, it was only an attempt at humor, nothing more. Slow day at work today.
nah, wasn't you. and your post was pretty damned funny
there are people drilling in my ceiling right now. if i disappear for a few hours then you'll know they hit the sprinkler system and destroyed my computer.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 03:20 PM

So, when do us violators get to use our own sigs again? I'd re-register with a new name or go back to my old one but I'm pretty sure you'll kill my sig privs there too. I've retired from the sig rebellion.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 17, 2002, 03:24 PM

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

climber
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
So, when do us violators get to use our own sigs again? I'd re-register with a new name or go back to my old one but I'm pretty sure you'll kill my sig privs there too. I've retired from the sig rebellion.
I guess you are on probation?? I wonder how long..
climber

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 05:43 PM

I recanted

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 06:03 PM

errr....quick question:

Can we have emoticons in the sigs?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Tota
Sep 18, 2002, 06:34 AM

Blabl blabla bla Sig , bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla, size bla blabla bla matters bla blabla bla bla bla bla bla, too big bla bla bla bla bla bla, ohhh baby bla blabla bla, suck my bla bla bla bla sig bla blabla bla.

cheers
-- --

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 10:26 AM

You tell him, matt.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 02:14 PM

WTF? My signature is banned? What is going on?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 18, 2002, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
have you read any of this thread at all?

johann
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2002, 02:23 PM

you wanna see some WAY TO BIG SIGS:
check out the DOA forums.. we don't want to become like them

http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread...82596&cache=69

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
That's the last straw. Let's take down these Sig Nazi's!!! La revolucion!!!

Cipher13
Sep 18, 2002, 04:58 PM

Demonhood, I don't appreciate my sig being changed. You will not do it again.

Don't think locking my profile would help in the slightest - signing up 30 new users with signatures bigger than a Cinema Display would not be a difficult thing to do.

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 18, 2002, 05:07 PM

La resistance lives....oonn.. ACK

>falls dead<

- Ca$h
( Last edited by Ca$h68; Sep 18, 2002 at 05:42 PM. )

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 05:25 PM

i wouldn't mind scrolling over this one everyday

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Don't think locking my profile would help in the slightest - signing up 30 new users with signatures bigger than a Cinema Display would not be a difficult thing to do.
And here I am thinking unlike some people here that you were one of the smart people!

Anyway, they can still ban you as fast as you sign up!

Personaly I don't think it would be worth it :/

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 08:18 PM

wow, if he banned you...you'd lose like 12,000 posts

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

finboy
Sep 18, 2002, 08:28 PM

This isn't some kind of free-speech issue: someone provides this forum for us, appoints mods, and they set the rules. If you don't like it, don't WHINE about it -- GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Start your own forum site and see how long it takes for you to set sig guidelines that someone doesn't like.

What's the big deal? Can't people figure this one out?

elzinat
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 08:43 PM

did demon have to change it too? so it had to be changed three times before you figured out that you could just go back to having a sig that fit within the rules and then everything would be fine again? like IUJHJSDHE, i find that quite disappointing.
you may be a "high-profile" member and a cool guy, but rules are rules. and just btw, threatening us isn't good form.

you know where to find me off-forum if you have issues you want to discuss.

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by elzinat:
...you figured out that you could just go back to having a sig that fit within the rules and then everything would be fine again?

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

austeros
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 11:21 PM

a little off topic, but whatever happened to misha?

There's someone in my head but its not me...

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 11:59 PM

new sig. hope you like it guys.. by the way, this is totally within "guidelines" so don't mess with it...

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 19, 2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
this is totally within "guidelines" so don't mess with it...
140 x 40 = width x height

i hearby sentence you to DEATH!!!

you had a french name anyway. like, ergh...

The Dude
Banned
Sep 19, 2002, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by austeros:
He's at macminute.com now. My brain is failing to remind me the story of why he left...if it comes back and it's MOD TESTED AND ADMIN APPROVED, I'll post it.

elzinat
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by The Dude:
He's at macminute.com now. My brain is failing to remind me the story of why he left...if it comes back and it's MOD TESTED AND ADMIN APPROVED, I'll post it.
it won't be. let's leave it at "he's a macminute now."

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by austeros:
misha's signature was not within acceptable paramaters so they had him executed.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by brien:
You tell him, matt.
Briens sig is over the guidelines!

Cipher13
Sep 19, 2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:

And here I am thinking unlike some people here that you were one of the smart people!

Anyway, they can still ban you as fast as you sign up!

Personaly I don't think it would be worth it :/
Oh, I highly doubt they could ban at half the pace I could wreak havoc. And they know it.

It wouldn't be worth it - but the fact that it was in spite would push me that little bit further.

Originally posted by finboy:
This isn't some kind of free-speech issue: someone provides this forum for us, appoints mods, and they set the rules. If you don't like it, don't WHINE about it -- GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. Start your own forum site and see how long it takes for you to set sig guidelines that someone doesn't like.

What's the big deal? Can't people figure this one out?
Yep, and I said I'd change it when I had time - and I would have. You don't go changing peoples profiles almost immediately after. We do have better things to do. It's the principle.

Originally posted by elzinat:
did demon have to change it too? so it had to be changed three times before you figured out that you could just go back to having a sig that fit within the rules and then everything would be fine again? like IUJHJSDHE, i find that quite disappointing.
you may be a "high-profile" member and a cool guy, but rules are rules. and just btw, threatening us isn't good form.

you know where to find me off-forum if you have issues you want to discuss.
Yeah, we can talk on IM. This is not the place.

Tota
Sep 20, 2002, 03:37 AM

Okay: well I get off bein' juked
With a baby octopus
An spewed upon with cream corn! AAH... UNH!
An' my girlfriend, she digs it
With a hot YOOHOO bottle
While somebody's screamin':
CORKS 'N' SAFETIES
PIGS 'N' DONKEYS
ALICE COOPER'S GONNA ... AAAAAAH!
Well, it gets me so hot
I could scream!!

ehh, sorry...sigs right ?
Interesting topic, please continue.
-- --

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 04:36 PM

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 05:30 PM

Below should be my nice new sig. Thanks to yoda for hosting it.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 05:48 PM

I am enraged

Why are some people getting away with blatant disregard for the sig guidelines when some, such as Zimphire, got their sigs banned over 5 pixels.

Need an example? Brien's sig is 150x35; a full 10 pixels too wide. He should be burned at the stake immediately!

Just joking Dunking pond would be better

Anyhow, this just shows how lackluster this little attack on sigs was. A few people were singled out because they were either:

A) Quite visible.
B) Quite open about their defiance.

Either burn the whole village or leave it be, but don't shoot half the inhabitants to get your point across

Bushleaguer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2002, 06:15 PM

Two points for most smileys in a post
He's not a leader, he's a Texas leaguer..
Swingin' for the fence, got lucky with a strike..
Drilling for fear, makes the job simple..
Born on third, thinks he got a triple..

Demonhood  (op)
Administrator
Sep 21, 2002, 03:59 AM

think this thing has been covered in sticky gooey honey long enough.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 21, 2002, 07:17 AM

L'enfanTerrible & invisibleX: you two win the official MacNN "No Life" award, for banging on about this sig thing for so long.

get a grip. it's a message board on the internet. have you any idea how pathetic you look, arguing over pixels? you're behaving like bratty little children. even TN & starman act more mature (just)

let demonhood carry on doing his job, while you both get on with your homework. then you can go out and play. be in by 8pm though, or it's no internet for a week

dillerX
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 07:42 AM

Philzman. You're my hero.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 21, 2002, 08:28 AM

thanks man :o

(you want that money in the usual paypal account?)

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 06:34 PM

Hahaha, poor phil. Your mommy really shouldn't let you on the net so much. Everyone knows your a troll.

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2002, 06:50 PM

No offense invisibleX, but that's the most retarded thing I've heard since Bush was elected President.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 07:41 PM

Philzilla, no offense but you don't really understand what my arguments were about.. I find that surprising because I explained them about 10 times. I do not care about the pixels, I am perfectly content with the sig dimensions as they are. I wouldn't even mind smaller dimension, because personally, I think the coolest ones are really small (rampant, file)

I was upset with the way the mods singled me and a few others out while still there are people with bigger sigs than my original one. At first the "sig violator" image was fine, but when I made a smaller one, one of the mods changed my sig to something insulting and I found it very disrespectful. I also resent your opinion that I am arguing over nothing because you don't even know what I was fighting for anyway. Its called fairness, you might need a lesson.. I also find it ironic that you insult me by calling me immature when you know nothing about me or what I stand for.. That is immature.

dismissed

edit: ps, elz and I discussed it and worked out our differences.Thanks elz.

edit: pps, this all occured in one day so I don't understand how you can say I carried it on for so long. 3 hours. wow I really have no life.
( Last edited by L'enfanTerrible; Sep 21, 2002 at 07:58 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules