Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How can you prevent users from listing other users' files?

How can you prevent users from listing other users' files?
dcarmich
Oct 29, 2004, 04:32 PM

When I created another account on my 10.3 system and logged into it, I could see that other users could list the contents of another users' home directory even though they couldn't access any of their files.

How can I prevent users from listing other users' files without breaking such things as the Installer? (I read the article on macosxhints about changing the umask, but I did see a warning that changing the umask to prohibit group+others from seeing each accounts' files broke installing such things as iTunes, QT 6.5, and Java 3D.)

Here's the article I'm talking about:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...y=global+umask

Thanks.

--Douglas

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 04:46 PM

Don't save any files in the home folder. Save them in the documents folder. That's what this folder is for.

You could turn off read permissions for others for your home folder (Finder->File->Get Info on home folder->Permissions), but then nobody could navigate to your public folder.

larkost
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2004, 12:22 PM

Actually it is possible to turn off the read access on a folder while allowing the "execute" access, which allows someone to travel through the directory (to the public folder for example) while not allowing them to list the directory (see what is in it). Unfortunately this is not possible though the GUI, but only on the command line.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2004, 01:10 PM

Actually it is possible to turn off the read access on a folder while allowing the "execute" access, which allows someone to travel through the directory (to the public folder for example) while not allowing them to list the directory (see what is in it). Unfortunately this is not possible though the GUI, but only on the command line.
Actually it is possible to do this through the GUI (given the situation you describe) by using the Finder's Go -> Go to Folder option. Just type in the POSIX path in the dialog's text box. This will also work for navigating into/through invisible folders too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules