Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question about Time Machine-What type of hard drive?

Question about Time Machine-What type of hard drive?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2007, 01:59 AM

I just placed my preorder today for a family pack of Leopard. One thing I'm looking forward to is Time Machine.
I have two macbook pros for me and my fiancee, a Mac Mini, and sometime soon an iMac I don't store sensitive data on the Mac Mini or iMac so backups aren't a big concern to me.
My main concern is the two Macbook Pro's which we both depend on for work. I have a external firewire drive that I back up to approximately once a week and store in a fireproof save. I use SuperDuper so create a complete bootable mirror of them.
I also have an Airport Extreme Base Station with a Western Digital 500GB hard drive. I store some items on that such as 70GB directory of clip art and also other important temp files and files that we use among the 4 computers. We have around 300GB free. We also use Chronosync which nightly backs up important directories such as Safari Bookmarks, accounting data, documents, mail data files, etc.
Now with Time Machine I'm not sure how to change my plans. I plan to do the two backups which are stored in the safe but will Time Machine work with my Base Station Hard Drive? Both MacBook Pro's have around 100GB of data on them and I'm confused if it would need 100GB to back up or less or more.
Am I better off getting a firewire drive that has to start on each MacBook Pro for it to work or will it work with a networked drive?
If networked am I better off getting a 2nd dedicated base station drive or is a pure ethernet hard drive faster in speed?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 02:59 AM

From what I understand TM will not work with your AirDisk. Your external HDDs will work fine though.

TM will need at least as much free disk space as your source volume has data on it.

I'm using asr to make bootable clones of my personal Mac to an external disk on a weekly basis. That is my primary backup (work related stuff gets backed up daily to a server here at work). I would have liked to use TM instead, but until there is an easy way to make TM backups bootable, I'll just stick with asr. In principle it's not less convenient to use asr. The only difference is that TM will do the backup automatically once the external drive is connected, whereas I have to run the asr command manually. Of course asr takes a lot more time for it's full backup, than TM's incremental/differential scheme, but since I backup while I sleep I don't care if it takes 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Ay ideas if it will be possible to make a couple of symlinks on the TM partition in order to make it bootable?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 04:08 AM

Time Machine WILL work with AirDisk - at least, according to the AppleInsider article on it, it works just fine on network drives.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 06:19 AM

Since you are talking about Mac Pros here you could also just stick another drive (I would probably say about 50% larger than the working drive) into each of them.

If you have 100 GB drive space used on a computer the first backup will take 100 GB going upwards as time progresses.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Time Machine WILL work with AirDisk - at least, according to the AppleInsider article on it, it works just fine on network drives.
Yeah, you're right. AI explicitly says (last section) it should also work with AirDisk. That would be very good news. Let's hope they're right.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Oct 19, 2007, 03:57 PM

Just watched the tour of leopard. One question I have on time machine is how far back does it go (ie. 1 month, 1 year, etc)? Is it user selectable? So if I want to keep backups for say 2 years on a 250gb hard drive, how big should be the backup drive?
tnks
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Also according to Apple.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Just watched the tour of leopard. One question I have on time machine is how far back does it go (ie. 1 month, 1 year, etc)? Is it user selectable? So if I want to keep backups for say 2 years on a 250gb hard drive, how big should be the backup drive?
tnks
Randy
From Apple's TM site:

Backing up to a full disk.
One day, no matter how large your backup drive is, it will run out of space. And Time Machine has an action plan. It alerts you that it will start deleting previous backups, oldest first. Before it deletes any backup, Time Machine copies files that might be needed to fully restore your disk for every remaining backup. (Moral of the story: The larger the drive, the farther back in time you can back up.)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Also according to Apple.
Hmm,
Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing, Leopard Server, or Xsan storage devices.

Does AirDisk use AFP? I thought it used SMB (but maybe that was just under Windows). I guess if AirDisk uses AFP then "Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing" pretty much confirms it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2007, 03:00 AM

I'm relatively sure it uses both AFP and SMP sharing so everybody can use the protocol that works best for them. I admit I didn't check first, but a quick Google seems to agree with my recollection.
Chuck
___

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Since you are talking about Mac Pros here you could also just stick another drive (I would probably say about 50% larger than the working drive) into each of them.

If you have 100 GB drive space used on a computer the first backup will take 100 GB going upwards as time progresses.
OP said MacBook Pros…

HowEver
Oct 20, 2007, 11:57 PM

How deathly slow will Time Machine backups to AirDisk connected drives be?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2007, 12:29 AM

Probably not all that slow after the first one, if I were to guess.
Chuck
___

bxs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by HowEver View Post
How deathly slow will Time Machine backups to AirDisk connected drives be?
The AirDisk USB2 HD will allow backup data rates around 4 MB/s to 7 MB/s. Not very fast as things go these days, but fast enough if say you allow the first TM backup of your boot Volume to be started just before bedtime.

If you have some 100 GB of data on your boot Volume (the TM backup default) the at 7 MB/s (some 25 GB/hr) you would expect the first TM backup to take around 4 to 5 hrs.

Subsequent hourly TM backups/snapshots will typically be very much smaller and likely to be around a few hundred MBs. These snapshots will be quite quick.

Thus the AirDisk is realy quite suitable especially if there are several Mac wanting to backup to it. Each one will get their share of space and will not collide wrt TM access. In fact, this is one of the AirDisk benefits.

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2007, 12:36 AM

"Time Machine can also back up to another Mac running Leopard with Personal File Sharing"

That doesn't confirm anything. A Mac running personal file sharing is different from a general AFP network connection - like a NAS or perhaps even an AirDisk. I am not sure what they could do but their site does go out of it's way to mention HFS+ formatted drive which for many NAS drives is just not an option.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2007, 12:57 AM

AirDisk uses AFP for Macs and SMB for Windows. In that sense AirDisk is not just any NAS.

wr11
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
AirDisk uses AFP for Macs and SMB for Windows. In that sense AirDisk is not just any NAS.
All it's doing is sharing with both services at the same time. 1 AFP service and 1 SMB service and depending on the NAS you could easily have those plus many more services serving up one share.

I'm getting a NAS (Synology's 107+ Disk Station) tomorrow. It can share using AFP, SMB and FTP but the drive itself is formatted with EXT3. From what Wikipedia has to say EXT3 supports multi-forked files and most of the HFS+ mojo. When all is said and done I am hoping that Apple will support Time Machine on any AFP shared drive.

All this to upgrade to leopard, I need to be able to back up my system before I upgrade. I guess I could have just put another drive in my system... but where's the fun in that
( Last edited by wr11; Oct 22, 2007 at 01:52 AM. Reason: errors)

Buck_W
Senior User
Oct 22, 2007, 03:09 PM

Does anybody have an opinion on this particular HD that is recommended on Apple's website:

The Apple Store (U.S.) - Iomega 500GB Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Desktop Hard Drive

That appears to be a pretty good deal (if the hardware is reliable).
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules