Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why I'm going back to windows.

Why I'm going back to windows.
kelchm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 02:54 AM

Don't get me wrong. I really like OS X and I'd like to keep using it. In any case, heres why I'm going back.

1. Hardware. I know that for most consumers out there a laptop or all in one desktop works for you. For me it doesn't. I need an expandable/upgradeable desktop system. Unfortunately the only offering Apple has that meets these needs is the $3000 Mac Pro. Something I can't afford as a student.

2. Itunes. (and the fact there are no alternatives) I like iTunes overall, but its missing a key feature thats a near deal breaker for me. I'm something of an audiophile and rip all of my CDs in lossless format. I need to be able to do d like to do on the fly transcoding when transferring to an iPod. On windows I would use Media Monkey or JRiver MEdia Center to do this.

3. As nice as the dock looks, it just doesn't work for me. I find the taskbar to be much more conducive to multi tasking.

4. A distracting enviroment... OS X looks great, but the fact is I'm not as productive when I use it. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think part of it comes down to the fac that I can't just 'maximize' the window I'm working with. In windows this is as easy as a lick and it means all my focus is on that application, not the desktop or anytihng else i nthe background.

5. This one is minor, but its still a factor. So much good software for OS X costs money.

Maybe one day I'll be able to afford a Mac Pro.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 03:36 AM

Bye.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2008, 03:44 AM

Well then, best of luck.

-t

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2008, 03:52 AM

I'm sure going to miss...

What was his name again?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 04:46 AM

See ya.

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2008, 04:57 AM

It's clear that you've made up your mind about leaving the Mac camp. However, in an attempt to save you from being re-assimilated by the dark side, I am morally obliged to throw one final rescue line:

Have you considered Linux?

I'm no Linux geek but I'm pretty sure a number of your demands would be met - if not all:

1: Definitely
2: Probably (I know there's a whole slew of mediaplayers, maybe one of the does what you want)
3: Absolutely
4: Of course
5: It's all free!
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2008, 07:16 AM

bye

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2008, 07:39 AM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Signature depreciated.

Not FSJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by kelchm View Post
Don't get me wrong. I really like OS X and I'd like to keep using it. In any case, heres why I'm going back.

1. Hardware. I know that for most consumers out there a laptop or all in one desktop works for you. For me it doesn't. I need an expandable/upgradeable desktop system. Unfortunately the only offering Apple has that meets these needs is the $3000 Mac Pro. Something I can't afford as a student.

A Mac Pro refurb is listed today for $1999.00 at Apple store.

2. Itunes. (and the fact there are no alternatives) I like iTunes overall, but its missing a key feature thats a near deal breaker for me. I'm something of an audiophile and rip all of my CDs in lossless format. I need to be able to do d like to do on the fly transcoding when transferring to an iPod. On windows I would use Media Monkey or JRiver MEdia Center to do this.

How many and how often do you transcode?

3. As nice as the dock looks, it just doesn't work for me. I find the taskbar to be much more conducive to multi tasking.

Your a student of course you multi task.

4. A distracting enviroment... OS X looks great, but the fact is I'm not as productive when I use it. I'm not entirely sure why, but I think part of it comes down to the fac that I can't just 'maximize' the window I'm working with. In windows this is as easy as a lick and it means all my focus is on that application, not the desktop or anytihng else i nthe background.

Remember Expose?

5. This one is minor, but its still a factor. So much good software for OS X costs money.

Good software does cost money. That's one reason it is good and supported.

If you have a Mac what's the differential? If you don't have a Mac make payments over time like many others. Are you financing part of education costs? Reasonable. Make an investment for simplicity. Will Vista be your alternative future operating system? What's the learning curve for that piece of bloatware? Remember Snow Leopard is in the works. Windows 7 is when?

Please stay every recruit is important to us. I mean Apple.
Macintosh today, iPhone tomorrow and AppleTV forever!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2008, 10:02 AM

6. There's no viruses and I can't deal with the fact that my computer has had no downtime in productivity due to lack of virus scanning and reformatting once a month.
Hmm, I swear that was in the post when I read it
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2008, 05:54 PM

Sometimes, I also wish the Dock were more Taskbar-ish. But right now, I think the Leopard Dock with Stacks is close to perfect. If Apple would let me put Stacks or Folders on the left of the Apps, I'd be in heaven.
I wish for this too. I used to love zoom-to-fit, but it's almost worthless to me now. Regardless, most apps now do maximize, since that's the Cocoa default.

If I need to focus on one app, I usually isolate it in it's own Space, or I simply Hide Others with opt-cmd-H, then quickly Show All with ctrl-opt-cmd-H when I'm done.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2008, 05:58 PM

What do you do as a student that requires you to need "an expandable/upgradeable desktop system"?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 07:30 PM

I'd wager a guess he'd be fine with a Mac Mini.

Have fun with Windows.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Sometimes, I also wish the Dock were more Taskbar-ish.
Out of curiosity (both to you and the OP if he's still here), how so? I find the Taskbar to be equal to the Dock at best, and worse in many cases. What do you find preferable in the Taskbar?

I wish for this too. I used to love zoom-to-fit, but it's almost worthless to me now.
Why? What is the point of wasting most of your screen? I can't conceive of a reason you'd need to have a Word document take up 2500x1600 pixels.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Why? What is the point of wasting most of your screen? I can't conceive of a reason you'd need to have a Word document take up 2500x1600 pixels.
Really? I frequently have multiple pages viewable at once.

SleePyCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2008, 08:58 PM

In windows this is as easy as a lick and it means all my focus is on that application, not the desktop or anytihng else i nthe background.
Quite interesting that you lick windows..

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2008, 09:04 PM

Good luck, you'll need it. Seriously. Remember why you came to Macs in the first place?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2008, 09:07 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Good luck, you'll need it. Seriously. Remember why you came to Macs in the first place?
I was forced at gun point, and now I can't leave. Darn Stockholm syndrome.

-t

macdude
Jul 19, 2008, 09:26 PM

Sure seems to be a breeding ground for n00bs. I'd wager that this was just a hit and run.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2008, 10:19 PM

Out of curiosity (both to you and the OP if he's still here), how so? I find the Taskbar to be equal to the Dock at best, and worse in many cases. What do you find preferable in the Taskbar?
Imagine this: you have 2 Word documents open, and 2 IE windows open. You can easily use the Taskbar to switch between the windows. You cannot easily do so with the Dock. I know Expose kills that, but sometimes I wonder if the Dock would work better with such a 1-to-1 relationship. For instance, imagine if you had 2 Safari windows open, and you could have 2 Safari icons in the Dock next to each other, one for each window.
I use a laptop, so I don't have that many pixels. But some apps work better with huge windows, like iPhoto or Mail or Logic or iTunes. Naturally, text or web pages work better when they are thin and long, but I do like working with maximized, 2-page display in Pages or Skim.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2008, 10:31 PM

People who use a small number of windows may like that the Taskbar displays all open windows, but I personally find the Taskbar to be very much inferior to the Dock. Even M$ has conceded that listing all windows in the Taskbar is unwieldy - XP introduced Taskbar window grouping. Point number 4 from the OP is simply ridiculous on its face, proving to me that this was a Troll.

Truly, the only valid point this Troll (and I do believe the OP was a troll with a capital T) makes is point number 1 - Apple not providing expandable desktop hardware below the $2000 price point. mdc, It's wrong to say that a student doesn't need expandable hardware (as if a student is some inferior class of human being) - that an AIO or an outdated Mac mini serves everyone's low-end to midrange needs. One cannot dictate to another that expandability shouldn't matter when to many people it does. It's definitely a failing of Apple's current product matrix, but there's little need to debate the point again, since it has been discussed to death elsewhere and the consensus is that Apple doesn't care.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2008, 10:36 PM

Imagine this: you have 2 Word documents open, and 2 IE windows open. You can easily use the Taskbar to switch between the windows. You cannot easily do so with the Dock. I know Expose kills that, but sometimes I wonder if the Dock would work better with such a 1-to-1 relationship. For instance, imagine if you had 2 Safari windows open, and you could have 2 Safari icons in the Dock next to each other, one for each window.
With Windows, I always have enough windows open that I get XP's task grouping so I have to click on the task bar icon and then the window. How is that different from in OS X?

coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Jul 19, 2008, 10:37 PM

You have succumbed to the dark side of the force.. Be gone

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 10:50 PM

For instance, imagine if you had 2 Safari windows open, and you could have 2 Safari icons in the Dock next to each other, one for each window.
Oh dear god no!

Exposé + Dock = Perfection

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
With Windows, I always have enough windows open that I get XP's task grouping so I have to click on the task bar icon and then the window. How is that different from in OS X?
It's not. I remember when my work switched from Win 2000 to XP and that crazy button-grouping appeared. Can you turn that crap off?

I'm not debating that the Dock isn't better than the Taskbar. I love the Dock, but like most Mac users I think a few more features would be nice.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2008, 11:13 PM

kelchm: what do you use your computer for?

kelchm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Milkman View Post
It's clear that you've made up your mind about leaving the Mac camp. However, in an attempt to save you from being re-assimilated by the dark side, I am morally obliged to throw one final rescue line:

Have you considered Linux?

I'm no Linux geek but I'm pretty sure a number of your demands would be met - if not all:

1: Definitely
2: Probably (I know there's a whole slew of mediaplayers, maybe one of the does what you want)
3: Absolutely
4: Of course
5: It's all free!
I have. Actually I was really close to installing OpenSUSE on my desktop today. The main reason I've been shying away is that I don't know of an effective alternative to Outlook + Exchange whicch I can use to keep my cell phone and several computers in sync. In OS X this is now effectively taken care of with MobileMe.

Originally Posted by Not FSJ View Post
If you have a Mac what's the differential? If you don't have a Mac make payments over time like many others. Are you financing part of education costs? Reasonable. Make an investment for simplicity. Will Vista be your alternative future operating system? What's the learning curve for that piece of bloatware? Remember Snow Leopard is in the works. Windows 7 is when?

Please stay every recruit is important to us. I mean Apple.
Well, I bought my BlackBook on clearance at Best Buy for 1200.00. I built my quad core desktop. for about 1000.00. I have a hard time swallowing a 3000.00 workstation. Its just not worth going into debt over.

As far as Vista goes. I like it. I've liked it since the day it came out. It has its problems, but so does OS X. You learn to make do and/or find ways to avoid them. I'm a long term windows user and am still more at home in Windows than I am in OS X.

Originally Posted by 64stang06;3694943"
6. There's no viruses and I can't deal with the fact that my computer has had no downtime in productivity due to lack of virus scanning and reformatting once a month."

Hmm, I swear that was in the post when I read it
I haven't used any AV software on my personal system for about 6 years. During that time I've been infected with one virus, and that was MS Blaster. It had a rather unique distribution mechanism. I'm NOT saying that windows doesn't get viruses.... I've dealt with many windows installations that have been trashed with viruses and spyware. With a single advanced user behind a firewall I can confidently say that AV software is not a necessity.

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
What do you do as a student that requires you to need "an expandable/upgradeable desktop system"?
I've been building computers since I was 10 years old. I absolutely hate the idea of being locked into the hardware I buy. Personally, I would never buy an all in one system for myself. Why pay for a monitor your going to throw away? I also enjoy computer games and as a result typically upgrade my video card somewhere between every 6 mos and a year. I'm just not your typicall end user. I also need a large amount of fast storage for video and audio work.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'd wager a guess he'd be fine with a Mac Mini.

Have fun with Windows.
Right, since my quad core desktop that only cost a few hundred more can run laps around it. Of coarse I'd never notice the difference.

Each window is easily discernible in the taskbar. This is not the case with the dock. As far as taskbar buttons becoming too small to be easily used, this is a rare occurrence for me. Addmitedly this is due in part to the fact that I use two large monitors in combination with a separate taskbar for each screen (done with Ultramon).

Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Yep, I do. Two reasons.

1. I wanted a consistent and good looking UI.
2. I was planning on getting an iPhone.

It's not. I remember when my work switched from Win 2000 to XP and that crazy button-grouping appeared. Can you turn that crap off?

I'm not debating that the Dock isn't better than the Taskbar. I love the Dock, but like most Mac users I think a few more features would be nice.
Yes you can turn the grouping off. Its in the taskbar properties. (right click taskbar --> properties)

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
kelchm: what do you use your computer for?
A little bit of everything.

Surfing, school work, media playback, audio/video encoding, graphics/web design, gaming.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 01:30 AM

I have. Actually I was really close to installing OpenSUSE on my desktop today. The main reason I've been shying away is that I don't know of an effective alternative to Outlook + Exchange whicch I can use to keep my cell phone and several computers in sync. In OS X this is now effectively taken care of with MobileMe.
Evolution. I'm fairly sure that the built-in address book and calendar will sync with Exchange.

I've been building computers since I was 10 years old. I absolutely hate the idea of being locked into the hardware I buy. Personally, I would never buy an all in one system for myself. Why pay for a monitor your going to throw away? I also enjoy computer games and as a result typically upgrade my video card somewhere between every 6 mos and a year. I'm just not your typicall end user. I also need a large amount of fast storage for video and audio work.
It sounds to me like a Mac was never in the cards for you in the first place if you enjoy homemade computers (and the value of OS X does not exceed the value you can get from building your own PC), and you are into gaming.

A little bit of everything.

Surfing, school work, media playback, audio/video encoding, graphics/web design, gaming.
If by audio/video encoding you are referring to ripping DVD movies and such, Linux offers far better free tools than OS X does in this department, and you can play most of your Windows games via WINE (my wife plays Civ IV constantly this way). As far as graphics/web design goes, all you need is a good text editor for hand coding of which there are numerous options on each platform, and I'm assuming that your graphic design work will be done in Photoshop? How heavy? If your needs aren't that great, you could run Photoshop in a Windows virtual machine under Linux via KVM, VirtualBox, or VMWare.

If you want to look at Linux I would look at Ubuntu before openSUSE though. If you are locked into a document centric approach ala Windows (as it sounds like you are) and don't mind a challenge, I would suggest skipping Windows and installing Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Tiresias
Jul 20, 2008, 01:57 AM

Wrong!

I use a PC at work every day and use a MacBook Pro at home. So I am familiar with these issues and the subtle operational differences between the two computers.

OS X offers a much better and more elegant solution to managing multiple windows at a time, and I'm not even taking about "Spaces." I'm still running OS X 10.4.

Have the "fn" key formatted to "show all windows" in Expose.

System preferences > Dashboard and Expose > Keyboard Shortcuts > All windows: fn

Then, with a single tap, you can make dozens of windows "fan out".

Because it is visual it is easier to find what you are looking for. (Not to mention Safari Tabs: using Tabs to build related clusters of windows and fn to fan them out you could actually manage over fifty, sixty, seventy windows). However, in Windows, windows collect as little boxes with text. And when you open too many windows they begin to "stack up" in the task bar. And you get: Internet Explorer: 6, which, when you click on it, gives you a drop-box list, and you only get the first ten or so letters of each website/window name to select from. It can be very confusing.

Very often, you end up sifting through all of them.

And if you want to go "full screen", why not just stretch the window to fit the screen? That takes about 4 seconds.
( Last edited by Tiresias; Jul 20, 2008 at 02:16 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 02:13 AM

Anyone who seriously claims Windows full-screen maximizing of windows leads to greater work efficiency is almost certainly delusional. Windows users are habitually single-tasking. They like one application to cover the whole screen, and somehow many of them think that's a superior way to use a computer. I know for a fact that when I have to use Windows I am much less productive than I otherwise would be on OS X (due to default factors including window maximizing by default).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2008, 02:51 AM

I'm suddenly reminded of Tim and his Dodge Aries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghjm_HEotQE

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2008, 04:19 AM

1. I wanted a consistent and good looking UI.
2. I was planning on getting an iPhone.
Well at least reason 2 was moot.

I totally agree with besson. It sounds like your major concern is building your own desktops and that rules out a Mac. You should look at Linux instead. Gets rid of all the Windows nightmares (like OS X), but at the same time keeps you in charge of what you're doing (which goes well with BYO hardware).

If I were you I'd put Linux on your quad-core and keep OS X on the MB. You can run stuff on both machines from the other (ssh, remote X forwarding, VNC) if you want. Productivity stuff like OO, Firefox, Thunderbird, etc. exist on both platforms and you can use them on the same file set from both machines. Use the Linux quad-core for tinkering and heavy-duty encoding jobs. Use the MB for its portability.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
If the documents are titled the same, you can't tell which is which and given that this is a major flaw of not just the taskbar - it afflicts the control-tab switcher as well - it makes using Windows a real grind for me at work. Also, the way that the windows are grouped in the taskbar (alphabetically) means that you can't tell which ones you worked on last - an option to sort the display order in terms of the time that you used the files should have been added years ago.

Edit: Also, there is no equivalent of command-clicking the title bar to show you the filepath for an open document in Windows, so you can't even tell which document is which if they are displaying the same thing - the only way to find out is to either open a Save dialogue to try and see where it might have come from or to go back to the Explorer and find the file, then open it again to see if you have the right one! Ridiculous.

While the same is partially true for the Window menu in OS X, it at least shows you (by a tick or other mark) which window you were using last, which ones haven't been saved, etc. It's the little things that make life so much easier...

P.S. Turning on the display of the filepath in the names of files and folders doesn't help either as they are truncated so stupidly when the pathname is too long (which, as I'm using files several folders deep off a server is always), and without any means of getting the full path to display, it still means you can't tell which file is which. This is also a major issue for the File menu in applications as well - there just isn't any way to tell which file is which without physically opening the stupid things.

P.P.S. If you are wondering, yes I do work on multiple files that have the same (or similar) filename as I am working on multiple revisions of the same documents every day.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
mdc, It's wrong to say that a student doesn't need expandable hardware (as if a student is some inferior class of human being)
I didn't realize it came out like that. Of course I wouldn't insinuate that "a student is some inferior class of human being".

I was wondering what sort of stuff he felt was necessary now-a-days in regards to an upgradeable system.
Back when I used to build PCs I found it handy to have easy access to the inside of the computer for installing new video cards (games) and hard drives, but now-a-days with external drives and video game consoles those two activities have all vanished for me.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2008, 10:22 AM

Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection app does this when you want more than one connection at once, since it reopens the application, and it really annoys me.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2008, 10:51 AM

Here's one damn good reason NOT to go back to Windows:

Try searching for some text in Outlook. What a joke. What happens instantly in OS X becomes a friggin' batch job in Windows just to do a search. Fugettaboutit.

herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2008, 01:13 PM

lol this thread is so funny. well, bye to you

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2008, 01:14 PM

I used to hate the Dock vehemently. Now I just dislike it like the ex-boyfriend of my girlfriend. How did that change, you may ask?

By using the Dock as an application switcher only. No accidental starting up Photoshop any more because I accidentally clicked it in the visually busy and lamely designed Dock.

Oh scratch that.. I still hate the Dock as much as before and I hope it ends in some digital Hell. Grr
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2008, 01:51 PM

OK, peace.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
OK, peace.
Wow, that's all ? No snide remark, no iron-fisted sarcasm ? I'm disappointed...

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2008, 02:24 PM

What a subtle attempt to spawn a flame war.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Anyone who seriously claims Windows full-screen maximizing of windows leads to greater work efficiency is almost certainly delusional.
Who said that? No one. He said it was distracting.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2008, 03:16 PM

I too prefer the Windows taskbar over the dock for the ability to easily select the window I want.

Whenever I used to use OS 9, I get so frustrated, there's no way to switch apps, apart from that stupid switcher/finder menu in the top right. Windows get lost behind each other all the time, especially when you use that roller blind feature.

How did people manage?

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 20, 2008, 03:53 PM

I would definitely agree with the Linux suggestions. I myself am planning on building my own desktop and running only Linux. There are many different distributions that can suit any need. I personally love Suse and Ubuntu.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 04:20 PM

It seems a little bit academic to compare the Dock to the Taskbar when it comes to window-switching. The window-selection function in OS X isn't the Dock, it's Exposé.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2008, 05:02 PM

kelchm I'm sorry you don't like OSX, but clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. No one is forcing you to use OSX, and I would hope no one really cares enough to try and convince you not to use vista/windows (I mean seriously, vista does a good enough job of that on it's own).

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jul 20, 2008, 05:15 PM

Just out of curiosity, it al the good software for WIndows free, or do you just know where to "get" it for free?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2008, 06:14 PM

It seems a little bit academic to compare the Dock to the Taskbar when it comes to window-switching. The window-selection function in OS X isn't the Dock, it's Exposé.

zombie punk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jens Peter View Post
Just out of curiosity, it al the good software for WIndows free, or do you just know where to "get" it for free?
It certainly used to be true that there was less freeware for the Mac than for Windows. This seems to have got a little better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules