Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacNN: Cars (pics inside)

MacNN: Cars (pics inside) (Page 5)
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 09:07 PM

[/wish]

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
Congrats on the new Mustang. I think Ford did a great job with this latest model. Much better than the last model.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post

[/wish]
Aim high, dude!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2007, 02:38 PM

the stang pictured above and the two others I had after this one were chock full of gear:

and quite a few go-fast items too.

My first motor vehicle ever was an '84 GMC Jimmy which I got in '93. Next was a lowrider Isuzu pickup truck with an Impulse motor, Automatic, and 4-wheel disc brakes, Integra seats. Then the first, second, and third mustangs.

Now the Saturn. : |
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Jan 13, 2007 at 02:51 PM. )
ice

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Any 1/4 times?

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 06:16 PM

last week in Thailand
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 06:32 PM

^^^ 4WD ?

-t

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 06:36 PM

even my alfa is more comfortable than an elephant
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

robisconfusedd
Jan 14, 2007, 12:53 AM

mine's the black 328is...

the blue 330i is my friend's.

man there are a lot of bmws on this board i never knew!!!!! represent!!
BimmerForums - the forum for the ultimate driving machine.

::12" of pure joy::
1Ghz G4, 1.25GB ram

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Any 1/4 times?

13.70@102

Stock heads, cam, intake, throttle body (err stock motor) and a tight, road racing suspension.

I've got a dozen friends into the 11's and deeper, and my brother's roommate runs 8's on RADIALS. The car drives on the street too.
ice

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2007, 01:35 PM

My 3-season toy. 1200 lbs | 38 mpg | 32 bhp

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 02:30 PM

After my move out of Colorado to Austin, TX, I decided I could afford one of these:

One of the few U.S. car designs I liked instantly... I'm going to testdrive one in the next few weeks, my local Ford dealer has some (V6s and V8s) dirt-cheap (low Dollar is the reason, I guess).
Imho it would look better without the rear spoiler, but you can't get it without, right?

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by grayware View Post

That's beautiful.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
One of the few U.S. car designs I liked instantly...
PB.
I agree… and let me ask, how came that a Mustang goes for under 20K $ in the US ? I find that dirty cheap, so to speak…

BTW, Mustangs (the horse breed) were original from Spain, we spaniards brought them to America, so you owe me one !

As much as like the CLS, I think I will stick with the estate/wagon.
I would get the CLS, with the new safety regulations over Europe (bonnets can not be that low anymore), it is going to be a classic design in no time… truth be told it is a classic since day one. Gorgeous car.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2007, 05:51 PM

One of the few U.S. car designs I liked instantly... I'm going to testdrive one in the next few weeks, my local Ford dealer has some (V6s and V8s) dirt-cheap (low Dollar is the reason, I guess).
Imho it would look better without the rear spoiler, but you can't get it without, right?
They can be ordered without the spoiler. I did choose the spoiler because I intend to mod the car to look like a Mach 1, complete with the black spoiler. If you want to go with an after-market spoiler, make sure to keep the factory one, as most of the aftermarket ones use the same mounting holes, meaning no drilling work for a ducktail or other spoiler.

I agree… and let me ask, how came that a Mustang goes for under 20K $ in the US ? I find that dirty cheap, so to speak…
An entry level mustang has generally been priced pretty accessibly. The base 1964 Mustang in 2005 dollars would cost a bit above $16k, so they have gone up a little. They also use the platform to compete with the rest of the sports car market, so you can go up to $50k for the GT500 model, with 290 more hp then the base V6 Mustang.
<This space under renovation>

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2007, 06:13 PM

That's pretty darn incredible actually. 20k $, that's Renault Clio money (15k-16k euro).

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 06:33 PM

After having watched Top Gear in its entirety a few times now, getting my first real introduction to European car pricing in the process, I have to say that I'm amazed at how much more bang for the buck we get over here in the states.

Seems like you really can't get anything in Europe for the equivalent of $15,000 or less. But in the states, $15,000 can get you a nice small sedan or coupe with pretty much every bell and whistle available.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
After having watched Top Gear in its entirety a few times now, getting my first real introduction to European car pricing in the process, I have to say that I'm amazed at how much more bang for the buck we get over here in the states.

Seems like you really can't get anything in Europe for the equivalent of $15,000 or less. But in the states, $15,000 can get you a nice small sedan or coupe with pretty much every bell and whistle available.
I know! I freaked out when they mentioned a 300C cost 25,000 pounds ($50,000).

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 14, 2007, 06:59 PM

Yeah, it is crazy what we are charged for US vehicles. The easy answer though, and most people go for this, is not to buy one. Nothing against most US cars but when they are more expensive and not as good as the European or Japanese equivalent, why buy one. Of course there are some notable exceptions.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
It's a ****ing bmw, what are you talking about??
So what if it's a BMW, what the **** are you talking about???

I think the 3 series lineup, M3 included, is kinda boring. The old e30 M3 was exciting, but the newer ones are just getting fatter, bigger, heavier, and less like driver's cars and more like musclecars.

The RX7 would ****ing assrape any of these m3s on a roadcourse.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Yeah, I don't worry too much about the badge or how many I see. Out of everything I've driven, it just makes me smile the most. Maybe it's just the way I connect with it. Straight line doesn't mean much. Just feels right hugging the curves.
Exactly. And shadow here was explaining how his new M3 didn't satisfy him, and his Evo does.

Modern BMWs= bloated.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 02:06 AM

Regards
PB.
Please don't get a 6 cylinder. That's just wrong. You're only allowed to get one of those if you're a eunich or a secretary.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 02:11 AM

It really is amazing.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I know! I freaked out when they mentioned a 300C cost 25,000 pounds ($50,000).
How much is the 300C in the USA?, because the top reason you can see 300C on Euro roads is it is way cheaper than any car that big. I mean, the 300C costing $50000 is kinda cheap versus any german model if all you care is about how big the car is… Cadillacs on the other hand are not that cheap hence you don't see any over here.

About the Mustang, I think it's a steal for the money, as Goldfinger says That's pretty darn incredible actually. 20k $, that's Renault Clio money (15k-16k euro)., but the Clio is the best small car you can get here, wanna spend $ 20k and get a sporty euro Ford?, this is all they can offer to you, pretty much the same, huh? big LOL:

15000 euro

15000 euro OK, not the Shelby, but this way both get racing stripes
( Last edited by angelmb; Jan 15, 2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo: euro instead of US dolars at picts.)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 04:28 AM

BTW, how much is gonna be the new Camaro, I think it looks even better than the Mustang…

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 04:34 AM

2006 Winnebago View

Every trip is a potential vacation.

I get 18 mpg.

Better than any SUV, and cost just a little bit more.
( Last edited by Buckaroo; Jan 15, 2007 at 05:16 AM. )

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jebjeb View Post
Yeah, it is crazy what we are charged for US vehicles. The easy answer though, and most people go for this, is not to buy one. Nothing against most US cars but when they are more expensive and not as good as the European or Japanese equivalent, why buy one. Of course there are some notable exceptions.
It's crazy what is charged for all new vehicles in the UK. When we moved here this summer from the US, we wanted to replace my wife's car with the same model (except RHD). The same basic car (superficial differences in options) cost an addtional $15K over here. This is a Japaneese car, Mazda5.

Kind of blew us away.
( Last edited by Paco500; Jan 15, 2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: No spell chaecker in Firefox on Windows.)

Railroader
Banned
Jan 15, 2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
2006 Winnebago View

I get 18 mpg.

Awesome! We're looking at getting one this spring. You satisfied with it? What should I look for when buying?

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 11:55 AM

Wow there's some nice cars in here!

Here's my shitter. Keep in mind I'm only 20.

1989 Honda CR-X si (Roxy):

..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 12:13 PM

Nice car, I don't know how you can call that a shitter. the 80's high back CRX is the best type, a really nice shape. I thought the the 90's 2 seater targa Del Sol thing was horrible.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post

2006 Winnebago View

I get 18 mpg.

Please tell me this is a daily driver and you take it to the store for some sugar.

[edit](I don't see a driver at the wheel). DOES IT DRIVE ITSELF? AMAZING!

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post

That's hot. Noone would call that a shitter. I bet ca$h would even like it. Looks clean. Sitting nice. The exhaust doesn't look TOO fart-can-ish

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post

Do a B18 or B20 swap.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Nice car, I don't know how you can call that a shitter. the 80's high back CRX is the best type, a really nice shape. I thought the the 90's 2 seater targa Del Sol thing was horrible.
Thanks haha I call it my shitter but I love her. She's come a long way.

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
That's hot. Noone would call that a shitter. I bet ca$h would even like it. Looks clean. Sitting nice. The exhaust doesn't look TOO fart-can-ish
Thanks! It's a loud exhaust but it's deep and angry sounding, so it's okay

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Do a B18 or B20 swap.
I have a JDM swapped SOHC ZC with a rebuilt, ported and polished, and milled 0.003 D16Y8 VTEC head with a Skunk2 stage 1 cam using OBD1 P28 ECU.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 02:18 PM

Then there you go.. it has go and show. Nice. Clean. Not tacky (ignoring muffler).

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
Please tell me this is a daily driver and you take it to the store for some sugar.
Ah hahahaha!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 03:31 PM

nice work on the si.
ice

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! As for the muffler, everyone's gotta have a little rice

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
It's crazy what is charged for all new vehicles in the UK. When we moved here this summer from the US, we wanted to replace my wife's car with the same model (except RHD). The same basic car (superficial differences in options) cost an addtional $15K over here. This is a Japaneese car, Mazda5.

Kind of blew us away.
Very true. However, one has to compare it to the cost of living and income. I know if one wanted to buy something like a C320 CDI or something like that in Australia, it would be about (lets take a simple example) 1 years salary. Here in the UK with the same type of job, one may be looking at paying 2/3rds of a years salary for the same car. Therefore, it is more affordable in the UK. Obviously this is only one example and only based on my experience.

Still hard to swallow though when some cars are 50%+ more in dollar amounts over here.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 05:21 PM

Modern BMWs= bloated.
Dood, with as much knowledge as you have about cars, offensive/defensive driving, martial arts, audio equipment and fluid dynamics, you should be working for NASA or Honeywell or Burger King even. WTF you doing here?

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 05:34 PM

Dood, with as much knowledge as you have about cars, offensive/defensive driving, martial arts, audio equipment and fluid dynamics, you should be working for NASA or Honeywell or Burger King even. WTF you doing here?

BTW the base 300C costs $23,880 (12,248 British pounds) and goes up to $40,420 (20 732 British pounds) for the SRT8 version.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 05:41 PM

Most driving enthusiasts will agree with me. The e30 was a purist's car. The E36 was a good compromise between the E30 and something you can drive daily, and the newer ones are just too ****ing heavy, large, long, and wide.

And as much as you masturbate to modern BMWs thinking that anything with a kidney grill = OMG THE BEST, wtf are you doing here?

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 06:00 PM

Most driving enthusiasts will agree with me. The e30 was a purist's car. The E36 was a good compromise between the E30 and something you can drive daily, and the newer ones are just too ****ing heavy, large, long, and wide.
But remember, Rob, most modern cars are heavy and large. Unfortunately that is the way it is these days.

Innocent question; have you driven any of the latest or previous generation 3 series? They are very, very good.

It is very difficult to compare a classic like the E30 to a new car as they are just not the same thing these days. One is, effectivly, a classic car whilst the other has all the bells and whistles, more comfortable and a lot easier to live with. They are no longer apples and apples.
( Last edited by jebjeb; Jan 16, 2007 at 03:28 AM. )

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by jebjeb View Post
But remember, Rob, most modern cars are heavy and large. Unfortunately that is the way it is these days.

Innocent question; have you driven any of the latest or previous generation 3 series? They are very, very good.

It is very difficult to compare a classic like the E30 to a new car as they are just not the same thing these days. One is, effectivly, a classic car whilst the other has all the bells and whistles, more comfortable and a lot easier to live with. They are no longer apples and apples.
I've driven a 2000ish 3 series. It was nice... and very heavy, and not very nimble, but had good driving qualities.... very very good is subjective. Personally, I've driven some other cars that 'drove' just as well as the BMW, if not better, but obviously lacked a lot of 'refinement' and luxury options.

They're nice cars. I just don't think OMG THE Best!1!!!1111!!!1! just because it's a bmw, like some fanbois around here. My favorite BMW was probably the late 90s M5. Gorgeous. Or the 850 Csi.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2007, 08:45 PM

Hey, that's really close to my house!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 09:22 PM

I love it. It is wonderful.

There is a group of owners on yahoo: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/View-Navion/

You can get up to a $20k discount if you buy from the dealer located right next to the assembly plant. Lichtsinn Motors

The Mercedes Diesel is one nice touch.

The insurance is cheaper than on an auto; the intrest is a tax right-off; it's only 7'6" wide; the loan is 15 years (I'll pay it off in 6); it has a built in Microwave/oven, bathroom w/shower, 3.6kv generator; and most important, every trip is a potential vacation.

And I do drive it to the store.

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Awesome! We're looking at getting one this spring. You satisfied with it? What should I look for when buying?

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 05:40 AM

Please don't get a 6 cylinder. That's just wrong. You're only allowed to get one of those if you're a eunich or a secretary.
Well, I'm neither, but if the alternative is to pay twice the insurance and taxes and thrice the gasoline I'm probably thinking about it. But I will test them both to see what I like (more).

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 05:45 AM

My favorite BMW was probably the late 90s M5. Gorgeous.
You mean of course the 2003 M5. Last E39 model year including the new angel lights and a bunch of refinements.

Regards
PB
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2007, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Hey, that's really close to my house!
Heh, cool. I took it there because I figured the schools parking lot wasn't going to be plowed much over the winter break. Thats actually the school I graduated from, and I lived near it most of my childhood.

One of the things I miss in my move away from that area is the mountains. Spent a lot of time staring at them when I was back for the holidays.

So being in that city, do you shop at Voelker Research? They are a big reason I'm a mac user now, and they have sold me every apple device I have bought over the years.
<This space under renovation>

cheruman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by grayware View Post

vexborg
Senior User
Jan 16, 2007, 09:58 AM

Our wee thingy...

A Rover 25 1.6S Impression.

Actually this is in a different colour than ours - ours is more of a very light green metallic.
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules