Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's the name of this tool?

What's the name of this tool?
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2008, 08:50 AM

I'm trying to source a clamp I need, but no one in town has what I'm looking for -- and I don't know what to call it. Personally, I've always just called them reverse clamps, but that's not the correct term. Anyway, I'll try and describe it...

With a typical hand clamp or pair of tongs, you use the ends/grips to close around the object while you squeezing the handle to hold it -- all on the outside of the object, using inward force to hold the item.

I'm talking about those hand clamps/tongs that when you squeeze them, the grips get closer together so that you can put them inside a box (for example). When you quit squeezing, the clamp opens and holds the item from inside -- so their gripping action is outward, not inward. This is why I've always called them "reverse clamps."

Anyone know the real name for these?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2008, 08:51 AM

A crimping tool?

Edit, no. I don't know either. Sorry.
( Last edited by Ozz_man; Jul 5, 2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Wrong)

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2008, 09:22 AM

For model building I use what is called a "cross action tweezer" or an "X-action Tweezer" when you squeeze it, the tongs open like a spreader and when you let go it clamps.
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2008, 09:24 AM

Expansion clamp

Same functioning as this ?

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5711628.html

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2008, 09:39 AM

what you are looking for are bar clamps with spring action handles. you slide them off the bar and reverse them. so as you ratchet, they become SPREADERS.

Irwin makes them, the most popular. here are all the sizes.

http://www.toolbarn.com/category/irw...mps-spreaders/

sorry, fixed link top of that page are the expensive Irwin clamp/spreader. down at the bottom, are the cheaper ones (all plastic).

you can pick these up and any Lowes or Home Depot
( Last edited by residentEvil; Jul 5, 2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: fixed link)

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2008, 10:36 AM

I haven't been able to get a bar clamp to work. The interior dimensions I'm working with are 2 x 4 x 1 inches (w-d-h). The turning shaft is too large to fit inside those dimensions, and none of the clamps I've been able to find have enough of a lip edge to grab to where I wouldn't have to worry about the shaft.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2008, 11:42 AM

that small, what will the clamp do for you? make a small cube the inside dimensions then; that will provide the outward force you need and keeping it from collapsing.

if you need perfect miters; use miter clamps.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2008, 11:49 AM

and, for something that small. look in model making tools.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2008, 01:08 PM

My Dad came up with a better, and cheaper idea.

What I'm doing is streamlining the painting and clear coating process for my guitar effects shells. What I ended up doing was simply getting a 6-32 threaded rod and screwing it into the already existing hole in the effect shell. I then used washers to keep some space between the top and bottom (so paint doesn't try and fill-up the seam), and screwed the bottom plate on.

So, rather than use a $17 clamp for each shell (I typically paint 5 at a time, so that's over $90 after tax), I'm using an $0.80 threaded rod cut into 4 lengths.

Go Dads!

Forum Links
Forum Rules